Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Seattle sucks! I mean literally everything there sucks: the weather, the food, the women, sports teams, politics,... If I were president I would sell Seattle to Canada in exchange for a 6-pack of Labatt Blue and a couple of hot babes from UBC.
I am sure Canada would love some more fortune 500 companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
'Brown bag' and 'citizen' too offensive for use in Seattle - The Dori Monson Show - MyNorthwest.com
Political correctness: ‘Brown bag,’ ‘citizens’ are out at City Hall | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com

To say that one "brown-bagged it today," meaning 'brought lunch from home' is still a fairly common expression. Elliot Bronstein of the Seattle Office for Civil Rights finds this expression to be racist. All PR personnel at city agencies have been advised not to use the term. Instead, they should use the expression "lunch and learn" (??) or "sack lunch" (say isn't that potentially a gender-biased and therefore offensive?)

And furthermore, they are advised to avoid "citizen" because it is not inclusive of Seattle residents who are not citizens. Bronstein notes that the city's "Citizen's Service Bureau" was renamed the "Customer Service Bureau," presumably for this reason.

Looks to me like city employee Bronstein has way too much time on his hands.
Liberalism is a mental disease, it explains just about all you need to know about liberals.

BTW, why are libs so hung up on race, it's all these mental midgets obsess about, EVERYTHING is a racial metaphor with them.

Even our president obsesses over race. Recently he commented on our terrible 0bama economy, and his take-away was that bad economy will exacerbate racial relations. What a mental case these fools are.

“If we don’t do anything, then growth will be slower than it should be. Unemployment will not go down as fast as it should. Income inequality will continue to rise,” Obama said in an interview published Sunday by the New York Times. “Racial tensions won’t get better; they may get worse, because people will feel as if they’ve got to compete with some other group to get scraps from a shrinking pot. If the economy is growing, everybody feels invested, ” he said.

Last edited by Wapasha; 08-01-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
About as bad as the Dallas Council man who thought "Throwing money down a black hole"..........

Was a derogatory term for a Black Women.

Texas County Official Sees Race in Term 'Black Hole' | Fox News

Tell me your kidding pleaseeeeeeeeeee! you cannot possibly mean what you said. This is utterly ridiculous.

Things are starting to go overboard. See after that inch comes the mile.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Lol...this thread was the funniest I read in a long time

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
'Brown bag' and 'citizen' too offensive for use in Seattle - The Dori Monson Show - MyNorthwest.com
Political correctness: ‘Brown bag,’ ‘citizens’ are out at City Hall | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com

To say that one "brown-bagged it today," meaning 'brought lunch from home' is still a fairly common expression. Elliot Bronstein of the Seattle Office for Civil Rights finds this expression to be racist. All PR personnel at city agencies have been advised not to use the term. Instead, they should use the expression "lunch and learn" (??) or "sack lunch" (say isn't that potentially a gender-biased and therefore offensive?)

And furthermore, they are advised to avoid "citizen" because it is not inclusive of Seattle residents who are not citizens. Bronstein notes that the city's "Citizen's Service Bureau" was renamed the "Customer Service Bureau," presumably for this reason.

Looks to me like city employee Bronstein has way too much time on his hands.
Totally different from what I thought it was going to be about. I thought it was a resurgence of "brown bag" night clubs that use to be openly common in the south and other parts of the country. For those who don't know, brown bag clugs was the slang term for night clubs owned by black people. The reason for the "brown bag" name was because the bouncers or doormen would hold a brown paper bag to your skin. If you were darker than the paper bag, you could not go inside. Not the kind of racism you'll see covered in movies, tv, or news stories. It still goes on today but is more hush hush than in days past.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Totally different from what I thought it was going to be about. I thought it was a resurgence of "brown bag" night clubs that use to be openly common in the south and other parts of the country. For those who don't know, brown bag clugs was the slang term for night clubs owned by black people. The reason for the "brown bag" name was because the bouncers or doormen would hold a brown paper bag to your skin. If you were darker than the paper bag, you could not go inside. Not the kind of racism you'll see covered in movies, tv, or news stories. It still goes on today but is more hush hush than in days past.
Very interesting. I have never heard such thing. Obviously, not a single person who is calling bringing their own lunch- brown-bagging, have that story in mind so it is totally innocent. Therefor leave it alone.

Here is another example where a flight attendant used a nursery rhyme to make her passenger at a South West airlines sit down. Two passenger ended up suing because of it. The reason, racism.

Here is a link:
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/GiveMeABr...=123728&page=1

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 08-02-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I put white bread sandwiches and crazy ass crackers in my brown bag.
Well played sir.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I hope I don't get into trouble for asking for black olives on my sub sandwich or *gasp* mexican cheese or a chinese fortune cookie!

Brown bagging.....that govt. official needs some bagging. lol.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Pretty soon we'll have to carry flash cards to ask for things since it appears someone finds EVERY word offensive or un-PC. What a ridiculous world we live in!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,393 times
Another example of the dumbing down of society. Nobody can be bothered to consider context, when just about anything can be taken out of context to mean something offensive (hence the "that's what she said" meme).

I doubt anyone would go to a "Brown Bag" lunch hosted by the city of Seattle and reasonably expect to see a bouncer holding up a brown paper bag to determine whose complexion was light enough to merit entry. And what if you go to a Lunch & Learn and don't actually learn anything? Is that false advertising and grounds for a lawsuit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies