Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,885,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Read what the director said about. It is not from here it is from the director.

The film takes place on both a ravaged Earth and a luxurious space habitat called Elysium. It will explore political and sociological themes such as immigration, health care and class issues. When asked whether the film reveals how he sees Earth turning out in 140 years, director Blomkamp responded "No, no, no. This isn't science fiction. This is today. This is now."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium_(film)
Oh wow.....that dude should stop making movies forever....

WHAT VISION!! hey let's do an illegal immigration metaphor...earth with be Mexico and Elysium will be America and we will script a struggle to get to luxury...

are you kidding me? Whats the point of watching this movie when the director already gave away an uninspiring and obvious plot with a headbeating message. Is this art or propaganda?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
Just look at the differences between Buena Vista Estates and Long Beach or The Hamptons and the Bronx and the movie does sound very much like today. Interesting that the differentials in Health Care are the driving force for the action. Our actual RW elite fight universal health care because they consider it a privilege to be protected as income is simply not enough.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM

20,098 posts, read 16,018,813 times
Quote:
Read what the director said about. It is not from here it is from the director.

The film takes place on both a ravaged Earth and a luxurious space habitat called Elysium. It will explore political and sociological themes such as immigration, health care and class issues. When asked whether the film reveals how he sees Earth turning out in 140 years, director Blomkamp responded "No, no, no. This isn't science fiction. This is today. This is now."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium_(film)
Where in the heck are those insta-cure machines then?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,723,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just look at the differences between Buena Vista Estates and Long Beach or The Hamptons and the Bronx and the movie does sound very much like today. Interesting that the differentials in Health Care are the driving force for the action. Our actual RW elite fight universal health care because they consider it a privilege to be protected as income is simply not enough.
From the plot synopsis it actually talks about how the private insurance on elysium is great and provides cures for cancer etc. It is just that those living there will not let the earthlings participate becuase they cannot pay for it.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Interesting that the differentials in Health Care are the driving force for the action. Our actual RW elite fight universal health care because they consider it a privilege to be protected as income is simply not enough.
They don't see it as a privilege to be protected but as an expense that needs to be controlled.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Where in the heck are those insta-cure machines then?
On ELysium , provided through a top tier private healthcare system.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,885,799 times
Does Matt Damon come out of the closet and get married on Elysium as well? Would kind of tie it altogether nicely, wouldn't it?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
On ELysium , provided through a top tier private healthcare system.
Okay, You missed the tongue-in-cheek aspect of my comment. The director said the movie was what existed today, so I wanted to know where we have those machines today.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Does Matt Damon come out of the closet and get married on Elysium as well? Would kind of tie it altogether nicely, wouldn't it?
Funny,
I just find it perplexing how Hollywood constantly attacks exactly what it is.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Okay, You missed the tongue-in-cheek aspect of my comment. The director said the movie was what existed today, so I wanted to know where we have those machines today.
OHH- Sorry I took you literally.

Good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies