Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times

Advertisements

With the recent spate of black on white killings SYG is not going anywhere if anything a few more may states add or strengthen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
The problem with stand you ground laws (which I support) is the abuse. If there are no witnesses then it becomes one man's word. He was threatening me. He said he was going to kill me. He came at me.
The reality is I hated the guy for sleeping with my dog and I shot him for it.
It seems as though our society has many who will manipulate even the most well intentioned of laws and abuse the freedoms we enjoy.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The problem with stand you ground laws (which I support) is the abuse. If there are no witnesses then it becomes one man's word. He was threatening me. He said he was going to kill me. He came at me.
The reality is I hated the guy for sleeping with my dog and I shot him for it.
It seems as though our society has many who will manipulate even the most well intentioned of laws and abuse the freedoms we enjoy.

This is my feelings as well
Family: Gunman in Mt. Oliver shooting referred to Trayvon Martin before opening fire

Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That would only apply in certain sitautions and not all,
That is going to apply in all situations, if you want to play with your life go right ahead. I had neighbor who recently purchased a weapon who called me becsue she wanted a place to target practice. As we were talking she mentioned that she didn't know if she could use it on someone and if she did she'd proabaly try and shoot them in the leg. I told her flat out to get rid of the gun becsue she'll be the next one that has had own gun used against her. She said the weapons instructor told her the same things as will any weapons instructor.

If you're going to fire weapon at someone the most likely way to hit your target is to shoot at their torso, there is no exceptions to this unless that is impossible.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is going to apply in all situations, if you want to play with your life go right ahead. I had neighbor who recently purchased a weapon who called me becsue she wanted a place to target practice. As we were talking she mentioned that she didn't know if she could use it on someone and if she did she'd proabaly try and shoot them in the leg. I told her flat out to get rid of the gun becsue she'll be the next one that has had own gun used against her. She said the weapons instructor told her the same things as will any weapons instructor.

If you're going to fire weapon at someone the most likely way to hit your target is to shoot at their torso, there is no exceptions to this unless that is impossible.

I understand that but really how many people that are able to do that safely are going to do it when their emotions take over and all rational is thrown out the window? I have personally seen two guys fighting and the one who was losing run to go get his gun, basically because he was humilated by getting beat up. Now if he would have returned and killed the other guy with no other witnesses could he have claimed self defense under the SYG Law? No, but because he was the only person standing and he had the visable bruises to prove that he was attacked, who is more believable?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM

340 posts, read 522,214 times
Forget everything "SYG", and examine this case of bloated insanity.

Everything about this case speaks loud and clear in the eyes of Canadian people.

Dirty looks, SYG... someone pushes you, SYG... someone doesn't live up to a four-way stop while driving, SYG... two men ask a simple question and little man feels threatened, SYG.

Walt Wawra’s letter about lack of gun during encounter in Calgary park sparks online ridicule | National Post

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Forget everything "SYG", and examine this case of bloated insanity.

Everything about this case speaks loud and clear in the eyes of Canadian people.

Dirty looks, SYG... someone pushes you, SYG... someone doesn't live up to a four-way stop while driving, SYG... two men ask a simple question and little man feels threatened, SYG.

Walt Wawra’s letter about lack of gun during encounter in Calgary park sparks online ridicule | National Post
Just becsue he wished he had a gun doesn't mean he was going to use it. I was in a similar circumstance, I was in Baltimore for the fourth one year with my GF and her very young daughter. We returned to the parking lot around midnight and got in our car, as we were waiting in line to exit a bunch of thugs came walking through the area. They were lifting handles on cars to see if they were open, harassing people and even vandalizing cars. This was all completely out in the open in the presence of perhaps hundreds of people. They headed off down the stairs we had just exited. It's really the one time in my life that I wished I had a gun, the outcome with or without the gun would have been the same becsue the situation did not escalate but if had I would of had the means to defend myself.

Quote:
two men ask a simple question and little man feels threatened, SYG
Again you need to research the law before commenting on it. Had this situation occurred in the US and the man shot those two people he needs to justify that act. If the man is in state that does not have SYG he needs to justify his actions as self defense, if the man is in state with SYG he still needs to justify those actions as self defense. SYG plays no roll in determining if the act is murder or self defense with the exception of LE not being able to second guess your actions if it's determined to be self defense.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 PM

It all boils down to that America is founded on violence and thrives on it through it's media. Canadians and other less violence drive countries cannot understand why it is so and there lie the rub.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,239,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What is obvious is that most people who don't support them have no idea what they're talking about but vapidly believe everything the media tells them.
Indeed.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies