Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times

Advertisements

Oh no!! Something must be done this cannot stand. Don't worry a Washington Post writer is on the case.

Quote:
NFL owners batted 1.000 in filling head coaching positions: eight openings, eight white guys hired. Including the seven recent general manager vacancies, minorities were shut out from all 15 of the league’s top available jobs during this hiring cycle. That’s the type of perfection the Rooney Rule was supposed to end. Seems like it’s time for new rules.
The Fritz Pollard Alliance has some good ideas. The group oversees compliance with the NFL rule that mandates that at least one minority candidate be interviewed for each head coach and general manager vacancy, and it’s proposing expanding the rule to include coordinators, assistant head coaches and club presidents. The intent is to increase the pool of minority candidates for the highest-ranking posts in football operations, and break through a barrier on the business side of the sport (no NFL team has had a minority president).
NFL hiring issues are black and white, with retreads all over - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,656 times
It's the ****ing NFL for crying out loud!! The most qualified candidates will ALWAYS be offered the contracts, regardless of race or even if they have a potato for a god damn head!

I'm so sick of this country and its racial crap. That writer, in my opinion, can go f himself for perpetuating this crap. Race baiting is not responsible journalism.

Edit: It all makes sense now, the writer is Jason Reid, and this isn't his first attempt to stir the racial pot.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
I think the Rooney Rule does a great disservice to potential black coaching candidates. How sad is that and a waste of time, not to mention degrading to the black person who knows he isn't going to get the job, but is only there because the team is required to interview a minority candidate? It should be that the best candidate should get the job, regardless of skin color.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
It's the ****ing NFL for crying out loud!! The most qualified candidates will ALWAYS be offered the contracts, regardless of race or even if they have a potato for a god damn head!
Is that why the same losing coaches keep getting recycled through the league?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
It's not too surprsing, and I agree that the best coaches are normally the ones who get the nod. But "qualifying" is such an ambiguous term when it comes to hiring these guys. A lot of it is based on "fit" with the organization's goals, rather than just bottomline production. That's why you can have coaches remain on teams for 8+ years while never actually winning anything.

Overall though, I have to say, it's pretty surprising that Lovie Smith hasn't secured a job as a head coach.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
Being qualified for a job is no longer necessary. Diversity is needed to fill a quota for political correctness and have affirmative action with multi cultural, gender equal social justice.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Still fighting the good fight I see. The most qualified coach is so subjective in the NFL it ain't even funny. But I'm surprised Lovie Smith didn't get a head coach job.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is that why the same losing coaches keep getting recycled through the league?
The sad part, is that this forum is littered with people who berate so-called "truthers" over this Sandy Hook incident, yet, are still willing to believe that owners of billion dollar NFL corporations have ingrained racism into their business models, enough so, that they are willing to sacrifice their brand and revenues.

What is more conspiracy theory than that?

Ovcatto, many times you make some great points, and I've even found myself changing positions in certain arguments because of your point-of-view, but this is ridiculous.

We both know, these owners would hire a god damn gerbil if they knew it could bring their franchise success, let alone thinking their puckered asses are afraid to hire a qualified coach with brown skin. Jesus Christ, this is old.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,448,345 times
Part of it is the recent trend in the NFL towards building offensive focused teams. Black coaches are far more likely to rise through the ranks on the defensive side. For some reason black offensive coaches (generally rb and wr coaches... rarely qb or oline coahes) have a hard time rising up to OC positions. Again, I think this has to do with the fact that thanks to the NFL rules protecting the QB's, teams are now moving towards heavy passing attack offenses... with the two most important positions being QB and Oline, predominately led by white coaches.

So while I don't think this is some racist conspiracy to not hire black head coaches, (has more to do with the shift in playing style in the NFL) I do think it couldn't hurt to look at reasons why black offensive assistant coaches have a hard time moving up the ladder to OC and HC positions.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Still fighting the good fight I see. The most qualified coach is so subjective in the NFL it ain't even funny. But I'm surprised Lovie Smith didn't get a head coach job.
Yeah he interviewed with San Diego I believe but considering they had just let go an "offensive guru" in Norv Turner they probably were looking for an offensive minded coach.

He was one year left on his Bear's contract so he'll probably sit out this year, still get paid and be back next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies