Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

I like that..Sunday in many places is not a workday.

Not in the ME countries my friend. Nice try at deflection though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 AM

After Benghazi this administration is now running scared.
They found out they don't know everything that is going on in spite of the power of the NSA spying.

Benghazi showed them that they don't know everyone's secrets.
And that has them running scared.

And if nothing happens ? Why that showed the terrorists just how scared we are of them.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I like that..Sunday in many places is not a workday.

Not in the ME countries my friend. Nice try at deflection though.
Are you sure???

OOPS!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workwe...Sunday_weekend

Friday–Saturday weekend[edit]

Following reforms in a number of Arab States of the Persian Gulf in the 2000s, the Thursday–Friday weekend was replaced by the Friday–Saturday weekend. This change provided for the Muslim offering of Friday Jumu'ah prayers and afforded more work days to coincide with the working calendars of international financial markets.Obvoiusly Ms Harf didn't know this and neither did you.

Last edited by softblueyz; 08-02-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Are you sure???

OOPS!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workwe...Sunday_weekend

Friday–Saturday weekend[edit]

Following reforms in a number of Arab States of the Persian Gulf in the 2000s, the Thursday–Friday weekend was replaced by the Friday–Saturday weekend. This change provided for the Muslim offering of Friday Jumu'ah prayers and afforded more work days to coincide with the working calendars of international financial markets.Obvoiusly Ms Harf didn't know this and neither did you.
7 countries is not "most" is it ?

Sunday is a non work day in mostly Christian countries.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
7 countries is not "most" is it ?

Sunday is a non work day in mostly Christian countries.
What "7 countries" are you talking about? Embassies in 18 countries will be closing most of them on the list.

Take a look at where the embassies are closing - in the MIDDLE EAST - MUSLIM COUNTRIES!!!! How many Christian countries are in the Middle East? The US embassy in Israel is also going to be closed - a Jewish sovereign state!!! From the same link I provided earlier.

At one time the work day would be 8 to 12 with a break and resume at 3 or 4 o'clock to 6 or 7. Then it was changed with straight hours 9 to 6. It used to be the weekend was Thursday afternoon and Friday and work would resume on Saturday. Many countries changed the weekend to Friday and Saturday, work to resume on Sunday. How do I know? I worked and live in the Middle East? And you???

Quote:
For most Israelis, the workweek begins on Sunday and ends on Thursday or Friday midday to accommodate Jewish Sabbath, which begins Friday night
It also accommodates Muslims.

U.S. embassies in Muslim countries to close amid 'specific threat' - Washington Times

You have a problem when people point out where you are wrong. Suck it up. You didn't know what you were talking about and the closures are not taking place in Christian countries!!!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
What "7 countries" are you talking about? Embassies in 18 countries will be closing most of them on the list.
You provided a link to weekends.
Your link went to this..I count 7 countries.
Did you mean something else ?

Saturday–Sunday weekend[edit]

Other countries with Muslim-majority populations or significant Muslim populations nonetheless follow the Saturday–Sunday weekend. While Friday is a working day, a long midday break is given to allow time for worship. Those countries are:
  • Indonesia[30]
  • Lebanon. The workweek is Monday through Friday; 8 hours per day, 40 hours in total per week. Large malls are open on Saturday and Sunday, many small shops close on Sunday. Lebanon and Syria follow a Western-style calendar.
  • Malaysia (except the states of Kelantan, Terengganu and Kedah. These Malaysian states have a Friday-Saturday weekend rather than the Saturday-Sunday as in the rest of the country.)
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan follows the standard international 40-hour working week, from Monday to Friday, with Saturday and Sunday being weekends.[31] However, in many schools and enterprises, Friday is usually considered a half-day.
  • Tunisia The workweek is Monday through Friday; 8 hours per day, 40 hours in total per week.
  • Turkey - working above 45 hours is overtime and the employer has to pay 1.5x of the hourly wage per hour.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
The count is up to 21 Embassies and facilities - Middle East, North Africa, West Asia

The State Department has now issued a World Wide Travel Warning for US Citizens

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
The State Dept has ordered embassies to close on Sunday in the ME, including Afghanistan and Bangladesh, and possibly will remain closed for a few days following. Apparently a plot to attack embassies by Al Qaida has been discovered. Also worldwide travel warnings are being issued to Americans which will extend to August 31.

US to shut embassies across Middle East following security threat - World Politics - World - The Independent

How is this possible? Al Qaida has been decimated and was on the run.
I THOUGHT THIS WAS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE CHRISTIAN THREATS......you know the one's in the news all the time! LOL

Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I saw that and its interesting. It really just says that the middle east especially is more a hot spot than ever and the so called Arab spring has not made it more stable. I see reports that Muslim radical form outside have start to flow into Syria and take territory back as well has seeing Egypt just set for the same outside support. Its become more a Sunni/****e conflict like so many other thru history as the sides line up.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You provided a link to weekends.
Your link went to this..I count 7 countries.
Did you mean something else ?

Saturday–Sunday weekend[edit]

Other countries with Muslim-majority populations or significant Muslim populations nonetheless follow the Saturday–Sunday weekend. While Friday is a working day, a long midday break is given to allow time for worship. Those countries are:

• Indonesia[30]
  • Lebanon. The workweek is Monday through Friday; 8 hours per day, 40 hours in total per week. Large malls are open on Saturday and Sunday, many small shops close on Sunday. Lebanon and Syria follow a Western-style calendar.
  • Malaysia (except the states of Kelantan, Terengganu and Kedah. These Malaysian states have a Friday-Saturday weekend rather than the Saturday-Sunday as in the rest of the country.)
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan follows the standard international 40-hour working week, from Monday to Friday, with Saturday and Sunday being weekends.[31] However, in many schools and enterprises, Friday is usually considered a half-day.
  • Tunisia The workweek is Monday through Friday; 8 hours per day, 40 hours in total per week.
  • Turkey - working above 45 hours is overtime and the employer has to pay 1.5x of the hourly wage per hour.
How many of those countries are in the MIDDLE EAST and have been instructed to close their embassy/consulate?

AGAIN: The State Department has instructed all U.S. embassies that would normally be open this Sunday to close, according to a senior State Department official. U.S. embassies in Muslim countries are typically open on Sundays, while others are not. Most U.S. embassies will be closed this Sunday in keeping with normal hours of operation.

You seem to be unable to comprehend that it's about the MIDDLE EAST!! and not Asia.

All these posts over a day and you keep digging yourself deeper trying to be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies