Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Funny, somehow I always had a gut feeling gunlover is a racist
I asked the question is South Africa Safer and Wealthier post Apartheid? is it? How is asking a question racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Most conservatives in Oklahoma City would sharply disagree with you. Raising sales taxes to invest in city government owned projects, like a new 18,000 seat arena, can work wonders in revitalizing a once decaying downtown. For instance, the new arena after further additions brought in the Thunder professional basketball team.
I am OK with that, that is city based action, fraud and waste is easier to find and eliminate as to federal projects, which at best are bridges to nowhere and at worst Solyndra.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as i said there are things that government should spend money on, and there are things that government should not spend money on. you listed a number of good examples for government spending. but you should also agree that there is serious waste and fraud in government spending as well that can be cut from the budget.
The vast bulk of federal spending goes to the big five: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, defense, and interest on the debt.

The amounts spent on anything remotely resembling the right-wing example of waste, Solyndra, is a rounding error on a rounding error. It’s just not what your government does on any significant scale. That's the same for other waste and fraud.

So, if you want smaller government, you’re talking about cuts in the big five. Cutting anything else makes little difference.
Quote:
first off we do want lower taxes, but it seems every time we make the case for lower taxes, someone like you pipes up and suggests no taxes, like you think we are going to somehow agree with your stupid position. same with government spending. as i have said there are things that government should spend money on, and things not. there is tons of waste and fraud in government spending that can be eliminated from the budget. please stop with your bullcrap statements like what government survived on no spending or no taxes because we all know that no government has ever done that.
Same answer as above. Please identify this magical "waste and fraud" that would make any dent in federal spending, that's going to allow a lowering of your taxes.

Remember, 53% already pay no federal income taxes because they have little income. The rest still have historically low taxes. At current tax rates, the federal government still runs a deficit. It's magical thinking to expect lower taxes and still maintain the big five at levels that the public demands.

If you want lower taxes, you are going to have to identify big cuts to major programs not take the cop-out answer -- just cut waste and all will be hunky dory.

By the way, it would be nice to read capital letters at the start of a sentence.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:03 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I mean you are aware the when you invest money, their is always a risk of lost of principle,right?

Is it easier to risk money when it is not yours?

How many trillions of dollars do we have to "invest" before you understand that your ideals cant work,
government run schools, public sector unions, foreign aid, The Great Society and the countless other programs that have be created over the last 50 years?
It's a buzzword and, as HistorianDude said at the start of this inane thread, they actually understand the concept.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Another incoherent, pointless thread by a conservative.
Maybe you think it is pointless, because it is over your head!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe you think it is pointless, because it is over your head!
I know they only measure the world by their small limitations.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm happy with an effective rate of 15%
15% that is impressive, I bet you pay less then that now.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:

first off we do want lower taxes, but it seems every time we make the case for lower taxes, someone like you pipes up and suggests no taxes, like you think we are going to somehow agree with your stupid position. same with government spending. as i have said there are things that government should spend money on, and things not. there is tons of waste and fraud in government spending that can be eliminated from the budget. please stop with your bullcrap statements like what government survived on no spending or no taxes because we all know that no government has ever done that.
So you don't want lower taxes, yet you want lower taxes. Nice try at double speak.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I am OK with that, that is city based action, fraud and waste is easier to find and eliminate as to federal projects, which at best are bridges to nowhere and at worst Solyndra.
That was a bridge in conservative Alaska. Most bridges lead to places.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That was a bridge in conservative Alaska. Most bridges lead to places.
a 100,000,000 bridge to a island with 50 people...and what does Alaska being Conservative have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies