Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Ah, the level of discourse on C-D just keeps getting more sophisticated every day.
Should I have used **** trophy instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
This is a bull**** law!

Personal story, but I was born to a teenage mother who refused to name my father as well. She did so to protect me because he was NOT a good man. This is a disgusting violation of the right of the mother to protect her child. It better not pass.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe to catch older men who are serial abusers of young, undergae girls? <shrug>
Sure. B/c there's a wave of this stuff happening. Or maybe we should do it b/c some of these men might be super-soldiers and we can finally get our hands on the serum that made Capt. America.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Or......they could just require that the mother name the father if she wants to be eligible for any child support services, such as WIC, welfare, food stamps etc.

If she doesn't want to name the father.....she has to take care of the child on her own dime.
This. I disagree with automatic DNA tests. First off, what does it prove? Unless you are a criminal in the system they still have no idea who the father is and who is to say she is going to ask for assistance?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This is a bull**** law!

Personal story, but I was born to a teenage mother who refused to name my father as well. She did so to protect me because he was NOT a good man. This is a disgusting violation of the right of the mother to protect her child. It better not pass.
That would be the reason not to do it. But why wouldn't the mother want to name the father if that meant getting support and help raising it. But I agree, if the mother don't want to name the father, she might have a good reason for it.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That would be the reason not to do it. But why wouldn't the mother want to name the father if that meant getting support and help raising it. But I agree, if the mother don't want to name the father, she might have a good reason for it.
Most of these men wouldn't be supportive anyway. Mother's don't just not list the father at birth for no reason. In fact, all of them probably have very good reasons for not listing the father. Single motherhood isn't something that people strive for.

I went on to meet my real father when I was 19 years old. A year later, we stopped talking to eachother. I am a more successful, strong, and confident person because my mother kept that man and his family out of my life. That deadbeat is a conservative Republican too. What a joke.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Mississippi, which has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the nation, has passed a law that when a teenager will not name the father of the baby that the state can do DNA test on umbilical chord blood.

I think this is a good law. Children born out-of-wedlock are a huge burden on our social welfare system but that isn't the only reason the state has an interest in finding out who the dads are. When you are discussing teen moms, sometimes you are not talking about teen dads.

It will be interesting to see how the privacy issue plays out in the courts.

Personally, I hope more states adopt this policy. Fathers need to be held accountable and responsible for their children and too many get away with not doing so because the mother tries to protect him or promises him she won't go after him. That means the rest of society ends up paying for that child.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/miss-requires-umbilical-cord-blood-from-some-teen-moms-for-paternity-test-privacy-a-concern/2013/08/02/c5a569e0-fb7e-11e2-89f7-8599e3f77a67_story_1.html
Good. They need to find the dads, and hold them financially responsible. No dad, no welfare, no section 8, no food stamps. WIC should provide cloth diapers and baby food/formula/insurance for the child, and that's it. Anything else should come from charity and the religious organizations.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This is a bull**** law!

He may not have been a good man, but he WAS responsible to your mother and you for ½ of your financial support. Unless the mother is willing to sign a waiver, good in ALL 50 states, that she will not apply and/or receive any public assistance, then I think the law should pass.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Eh Obama just signed an exec order that everybody be tested for aids with obacare so they will have a DNA database up and running real soon. Miss is wasting their time.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Eh Obama just signed an exec order that everybody be tested for aids with obacare so they will have a DNA database up and running real soon. Miss is wasting their time.
No way! Are you serious?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies