Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:56 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Age of consent in Mississippi is 16.
What is the Mississippi Legal Age of Consent for 2013?
That's for fornication. The marriage age for females is 15, and the statute prohibiting marital rape only applies to forcible rape.

Mississippi Marriage Age Requirements Laws - FindLaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That's for fornication. The marriage age for females is 15, and the statute prohibiting marital rape only applies to forcible rape.

Mississippi Marriage Age Requirements Laws - FindLaw
And this bill is not applying to married underage mothers - only those who are under the age of 16 and will not name the father. I am not sure what point you're trying to make. Either way, Mississippi has a huge problem with very young girls getting impregnated by much older men. They're not trying to convict teenage sex here, they're trying to stop statutory rape of very young girls.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
And this bill is not applying to married underage mothers - only those who are under the age of 16 and will not name the father. I am not sure what point you're trying to make. Either way, Mississippi has a huge problem with very young girls getting impregnated by much older men. They're not trying to convict teenage sex here, they're trying to stop statutory rape of very young girls.
My criminal law teacher in college sagely noted: "The only way to get rid of [statutory rape] is to have everyone's birthdate tattooed between their thighs."

Regardless of what the MS legislature is thinking, malamute made some seriously off-the-wall comments that went way beyond that and needed to be addressed on their own terms.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:12 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
My criminal law teacher in college sagely noted: "The only way to get rid of [statutory rape] is to have everyone's birthdate tattooed between their thighs."

Regardless of what the MS legislature is thinking, malamute made some seriously off-the-wall comments that went way beyond that and needed to be addressed on their own terms.
I am not sure if this law will have any impact but it's good to see them at least trying to be proactive about the problem vice simply sticking their head in the sand. Unfortunately, in the past, MS has taken the ostrich approach and are now trying to undo the serious damage they've already caused with that type of policy. They have a long way to go on several fronts to fix so many of their problems.

I didn't catch those other poster's comments so I would have to look back and see what that entailed.

For some of the other posters' criticism on calling this hypocrisy for conservatives to favor this and calling it big gov't and the like - I think they are confusing being conservative with being libertarian. Conservatives favor a small central gov't and returning power to the local gov't (state); Libertarians are more in favor of small gov't in all aspects of gov't.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That is disgusting to refer to the birth of a child as "crotch fruit" - Never hear of such a hateful term. As for young fathers- If they do not step up to the plate and at least acknowledge there own children- It is a good idea to out these little goofs. Support of the child should not be made the key factor..that can come later...but a child needs a father....It is better that the child have a "dead beat" father than none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I believe that you do forfeit some rights when living off of the state.

Want to keep your privacy? Keep your legs together, unless you can provide for yourself and your child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If you are making crotch fruit with an underage girl, then there's a good chance you will end up in the system sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Should I have used **** trophy instead?
Notice how righties have this love affair with charming local colloquialisms? I wish I could count how many times I've seen 'keep your legs together' on this debate forum.

The level of discourse continues to fall.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I am not sure if this law will have any impact but it's good to see them at least trying to be proactive about the problem vice simply sticking their head in the sand. Unfortunately, in the past, MS has taken the ostrich approach and are now trying to undo the serious damage they've already caused with that type of policy. They have a long way to go on several fronts to fix so many of their problems.
The solution to their problem in this case (supposing it is a major problem, which I'm not at all sure about) is comprehensive, rational sex education. That doesn't sell in the Bible Belt, so "let's lock more people up" is the default choice.

Quote:
For some of the other posters' criticism on calling this hypocrisy for conservatives to favor this and calling it big gov't and the like - I think they are confusing being conservative with being libertarian. Conservatives favor a small central gov't and returning power to the local gov't (state); Libertarians are more in favor of small gov't in all aspects of gov't.
Largely true, but it's the conservatives who like to deliberately conflate the two positions in order to get independents to swallow their Bible-beating agenda.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,863,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Haha. You honestly think that these men want to be in the child's life? They don't! Every mother that has a birth and doesn't list the father has a damn good reason for doing so. These children still run the same chance of being on government aid because chances are the father will be a deadbeat. Only in your dream world, he will be a deadbeat and the children will be exposed to him.
Yeah sure, you assume EVERYONE comes from the same negative trip you came from ?

BTW you can protest all you want I'm sure your 1 vote will really mean something LOL !!!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,863,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What if she's raped and doesn't know who the father is?
Then the DNA might help solve the case in the future, haven't you heard about familial DNA solving crimes ?DNA Forensics: Familial searches allows law enforcement to identify criminals through their family members

Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
These men still won't pay a dime of child support. I promise you. That is the reality of the world we live in.
but if they impregnated a teenage girl and they are grown men they need to be in prison. they are pedophiles.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,201,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
but if they impregnated a teenage girl and they are grown men they need to be in prison. they are pedophiles.
Pedophilia is the attraction to pre-teens

Being attracted to 17 year olds may be creepy, but it's not pedophilia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies