Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
One of those being the Republican darling, Ronald Reagan.

A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants
I'm not living in the past. I'm talking about the current Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well now, no one is arresting them are they ?
No one is deporting those illegal workers with illegal SS cards ?

One big name chicken processor in the next county gets raided annually.
It's almost treated like "homecoming"
It is the "job creators" who hired them that should be arrested.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
The democrats want to increase minimum wage. What do the republicans want to do about it?
Who decides what an unskilled worker gets paid to empty the garbage, or sweep the floor, some politician or bureaucrat who has never run a business and had to make a profit and meet a payroll nor ever pushed a broom???

The thing about minimum wage is that they are entry level jobs, for unskilled workers. If a person has bad work habits, a poor work history, and absolutely no skills at all, they are not worth much to any employer, so why should they have to pay them $12-$20 an hour?

If the least amount I can pay an unskilled, untested employee is $400-$900 a week before taxes, then those high school kids will never get hired, even if I do have some odd jobs that I could give them. So I'll just wait until those odds jobs pile up, and then hire some temp worker to spend a few days a month doing them for me.

Another thing about unskilled labor, is that pushing a broom or scrapping gum off the sidewalk is only worth a couple bucks an hour, whether the person is doing the job in a small ice-cream shop or a huge multinational corporate conglomerate. Either place of employment, pushing a broom is just pushing a broom.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not living in the past. I'm talking about the current Congress.
Ronald Reagan set precedence for amnesty of illegal immigrants that affects us still. Can't ignore the past because you don't like it.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Who decides what an unskilled worker gets paid to empty the garbage, or sweep the floor, some politician or bureaucrat who has never run a business and had to make a profit and meet a payroll nor ever pushed a broom???

The thing about minimum wage is that they are entry level jobs, for unskilled workers. If a person has bad work habits, a poor work history, and absolutely no skills at all, they are not worth much to any employer, so why should they have to pay them $12-$20 an hour?

If the least amount I can pay an unskilled, untested employee is $400-$900 a week before taxes, then those high school kids will never get hired, even if I do have some odd jobs that I could give them. So I'll just wait until those odds jobs pile up, and then hire some temp worker to spend a few days a month doing them for me.

Another thing about unskilled labor, is that pushing a broom or scrapping gum off the sidewalk is only worth a couple bucks an hour, whether the person is doing the job in a small ice-cream shop or a huge multinational corporate conglomerate. Either place of employment, pushing a broom is just pushing a broom.
I see. In other words, it is the employers who are responsible for poor wages.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Ronald Reagan set precedence for amnesty of illegal immigrants that affects us still. Can't ignore the past because you don't like it.
Let's go back one more and use Ike's version of "amnesty" instead.

Don't you libs toot "Hope and Change" ? Looks more like "BAU" instead

I think Reagan's amnesty was horrible and did nothing and never strengthened the border.
But we seem to be going down that very same path today regardless.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Here's a link to a report from the Monthly Labor Review about the 20 year trend of increased PT employment.

The report is dated March, 1991 and covers the period of 1969-89.

http://www.bls.gov/OPUB/MLR/1991/03/art2full.pdf

Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Let's go back one more and use Ike's version of "amnesty" instead.

Don't you libs toot "Hope and Change" ? Looks more like "BAU" instead

I think Reagan's amnesty was horrible and did nothing and never strengthened the border.
But we seem to be going down that very same path today regardless.
Perhaps Obama learned to profess the opposite of what he would really like so that the GOP will vote against it.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Here's a link to a report from the Monthly Labor Review about the 20 year trend of increased PT employment.

The report is dated March, 1991 and covers the period of 1969-89.

http://www.bls.gov/OPUB/MLR/1991/03/art2full.pdf
You are ruining a good anti-liberal, anti-Obama rant! Can't have good unemployment numbers without some sort of negative spin for the Fox News disciples.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Because places like WalMart haven't been doing that for the past 20 years.
After government ( federal, state, county and municipal) the retail and food services sector employ the most people. The majority of these jobs have trended part time since just about forever.

Competition and technology have eliminated tens of millions of jobs since the 70's and they are never coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies