Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 02:27 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly the worlds biggest Agnostic, so I guess it's easy for me to see both sides of the equation of whether or not to believe in God (any God, not just Christian).

To me, being Agnostic means that I am aware of what a small, insignificant creature that I am in the scope of space and time and that it would be incredibly arrogant and ignorant of me to have an attitude that there is no higher power than myself in all the cosmos.
On the other hand, every religion of the world thinks that their view is the only right one and that everyone else on the planet is doomed, dammed or whatever.

So both of the extreme views on either side are just as arrogant and ignorant as the other....

Now, I can understand that the devout are motivated by their faith, but I've always wondered what motivates hardcore type Atheists to be so adamant in demanding a lack of exposure to any religious references or symbols in their daily lives.
What I'm talking about here are the Freedom From Religion Foundation types who want to sue somebody every time a nativity scene goes up at Christmas time and lobbying to get "in God we trust" removed from currency etc.

Do you really have nothing better to do? WTF?

Because to me, you are just as bad as the morons from the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
You are free to put up whatever religious symbols you want just don't do it on government property. For some reason many Christians want their religion validated by the government.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:46 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
What katzpaw said.

I have no issues with the religious rite doing whatever they want, I have issues when it is imposed on me or limits my freedoms in any way. I don't want to talk about God, I don't want to see "in god we trust" anywhere that is government property or issued by the government. I'm not going to petition to get it removed from money, but I am definitely in support of that being done.

I believe that religion is a guise for a lot of bad things in this world and if only for that reason alone I don't want to see it anywhere.

The people you are talking about probably don't have anything better to do, but neither does the Westboro Baptist Church people. It does offend me when people who know that I am an atheist talk to me about god. Maybe it shouldn't but it does.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
You dont have to be hardcore, or even an atheist, to understand the need for a fundamental separation between religion and government.

Its amazing how complicated it has to be though to get that message across.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
This discussion belongs in the Religion forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies