Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,792,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sounds a lot like Ron Paul participating in pork barrel spending for his district. Of course, his "justification" was that he was just returning his constituents' money to his district . Yeah, I bet you a portion of those dollars he "rescued" came from my wallet, that hypocrite. There's no way to tell how much of that federal spending his district got were his constituents' money in the first place
It's how any politician stays in office for so long. Grow and nurture the votes with manure... err, government largesse. Ron Paul is no different than any other career politician in that respect.

--- Cynicism on a Sunday morning ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,747,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Rove is a problem as is Krauthammer, Kristol, Luntz and the Republican money bundlers. We also have a problem with the media that labels all Republicans as conservative. They tried to sell McCain and Romney as conservative. They are not. I would say that if Obama goes way too far, and scares more people with his freedom grabs, we have a better shot of electing a Libertarian that's a fiscal conservative but they are going to have to be financed by the little people not Wall Street.

You know, I really think Hillary Clinton would be more totalitarian than Obama. People will think they are getting Bill Clinton, round two, but they'll just be getting a nastier meaner version of Obama.
I agree.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM

26,561 posts, read 15,127,776 times
Both parties have damaged fiscal conservatives. However, you have the current regime that said in 2008 that Social Security needed to be fixed...proposed nothing in their first 4 years and then demonized anyone who proposed a solution.

It is easier for these cowards to let their minions make ads of Paul Ryan pushing old ladies off of a cliff than to be a responsible and brave adult leader and come up with a plan of your own.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 AM

59,252 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Going forward, will a president with fiscal conservative ideas ever get elected?

When I see candidates like Gary Johnson receive an astounding 1% of the vote, I think not.

History suggests that it is very rare for governments to willingly shrink, so I think the ship has sailed on this one.
Yes. The pendulum always swings.

As we go further and further in debt and SS and Medicare and entitlements keep dragging us financially down we will one day reach bottom and it will takes true Conservative to raise us out of the mess.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yes. The pendulum always swings.

As we go further and further in debt and SS and Medicare and entitlements keep dragging us financially down we will one day reach bottom and it will takes true Conservative to raise us out of the mess.
What's a true conservative? And why aren't you trying to get them elected now?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,792,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
A true conservative is a person who would die for his right to deride government spending while collecting a social security check at the same time.

A wannabe conservative is someone who would rather not die for that.

It's just a joke...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM

651 posts, read 864,347 times
Math doesn't work. let it crash. not salvagable. do not put anyone into power who is worth anything so the blame doesn't go to a conservative person with fiscal rectitude.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Going forward, will a president with fiscal conservative ideas ever get elected?

When I see candidates like Gary Johnson receive an astounding 1% of the vote, I think not.

History suggests that it is very rare for governments to willingly shrink, so I think the ship has sailed on this one.
You can't use Gary Johnson as an example of why fiscal conservatism will or will not work. First, he got out of the race and then changed parties to get back in. Like him or not, that is a really stupid move. secondly the party he is now associated with is barely known to the mainstream voter. The party has to start at the ground floor if they want to make an impression. They can not expect to attract much support until they start electing more candidates at the local and state level. Add to that Gary Johnson, though a good and popular governor in NM, he isn't the type to be able to excite the average voter. Plus you can hardly call him a fiscal conservative, while he was governor; it was Bill Richardson that finally reduced the sales tax on food, not Johnson.
Can government be reduced? Probably not, but if, through tax controls, stopping the giving everything away and not hiring as people retire or leave government you are reducing the size and the cost or running it. So, yes, I do think a fiscal conservative can win, it is the social issues that might need to be addressed more in future years.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Why do people keep voting for Republcans if they know Republicans aren't fiscally conservative?

It's s fair question, seeing as how these same people always have something to say about blacks voting for Democrats. Meanwhile, they keep voting for a party that isn't conservative by any stretch. Not fiscally anyway.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It's amazing. Their excuse is always that so and so didn't get accomplished because such and such Republican wasn't a true conservative.

But when a true conservative actually runs, they NEVER nominate him/her.

Republicans are all mouth...as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies