Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 AM

59,380 posts, read 27,553,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have voted for people with an R next to their name because there are some decent Republicans out there. Why is it an ignorant question? Is it because you can't answer what a true conservative is?
"Is it because you can't answer what a true conservative is?"

"I have voted for people with an R next to their name". Name them.

Duh! Because EVERBODY has a different definition. Just like "liberal" or racist or any number of ideologies.

In any event, what difference does it make? The vast majority of people are a mix of everything.

Why are you trying to "pigeon hole" people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 02:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,267,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I actually am a conservative and it makes me want to hurl every time some idiot politician claims to be...
So I am guessing you don't vote because of this?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Is it because you can't answer what a true conservative is?"

"I have voted for people with an R next to their name". Name them.

Duh! Because EVERBODY has a different definition. Just like "liberal" or racist or any number of ideologies.

In any event, what difference does it make? The vast majority of people are a mix of everything.

Why are you trying to "pigeon hole" people?
I am still wondering what a true conservative is because I have never heard the term before.

I don't remember every vote I have ever cased but I have voted for Gordon Smith in Oregon. I always liked him, but he got screwed in 2008 when there was the push for Democrats. Unfortunately lately it seems like only the nut job candidates are winning primaries for Republicans.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,968,369 times
A "Fiscal Conservative" is nothing more than someone who wants to cut spending that doesn't affect voters in his district. They are no more real than non-hypocritical liberals, "true conservatives," sane libertarians or unicorns.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,675,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bush 43 was no Reagan conservative.

The act of war itself is not aggression if it is in defense of liberty. It is necessary for the preservation of the soul of mankind. The Crusades of the past were in response to, and to fight back against the agrression and wholsale slaughter of the Christian world by Muslims, who believed they were doing the will of "Allah" (their god). The Christian world was under threat of extinction at the hands of Islamic hordes.
You might want to brush up on your history. The atrocities the Western crusaders brought to Eastern Europe & the Middle East doing the will of "God" was just as much "aggression and wholesale slaughter" as what you supposedly think were trying to stop. I find it funny that you would try and compare the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan to the Crusades as if it's a good thing...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,757,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly. Conservatives ALWAYS want to spend, spend, spend on the things which personally help them or which they like and they only want to cut things which effect other people they don't like. Frankly, only a moron believes their lie that they actually want small government because they have NEVER, not even once, delivered. Worse because they so hate government (yet bizarrely want to spend their life in government) they are terrible at running government and just see it as a cash machine for the enrichment of themselves and their crony friends. Which is why corruption and kickbacks always increase whenever a Republican is elected.
They are not Conservatives, they are Neo Cons big difference

Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
They are not Conservatives, they are Neo Cons big difference
And yet they keep getting elected over and over by people who call themselves conservatives.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,699,700 times
There was never a such thing as fiscal conservatism. It's a caricature used by politicians on the right.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There was never a such thing as fiscal conservatism. It's a caricature used by politicians on the right.
Now that is something I would believe.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,932,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Now that is something I would believe.
really? try looking up warren g harding and calvin coolidge. both were fiscal conservatives, and both cut the size of government, not slowed the rate of increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies