Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 PM

374 posts, read 722,180 times

Advertisements

Going forward, will a president with fiscal conservative ideas ever get elected?

When I see candidates like Gary Johnson receive an astounding 1% of the vote, I think not.

History suggests that it is very rare for governments to willingly shrink, so I think the ship has sailed on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,748,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Going forward, will a president with fiscal conservative ideas ever get elected?

When I see candidates like Gary Johnson receive an astounding 1% of the vote, I think not.

History suggests that it is very rare for governments to willingly shrink, so I think the ship has sailed on this one.
untill the EBT card run dry, and the massive riots along with the failure of the power grid leads to a massive die off of the Free State Army...then we will rebuild this Constitutional Republic.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,836 times
It will have to be forced just like Greece who was pushed into austerity by outside organaztions and other countries. We will get to the point where the rating agencies will down grade us and get prssure from the IMF and other countries mainly China. And then with our backs up against the wall we will cut or start a war.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,126,729 times
Quote:

When the conservative establishment learns the difference between smart spending and wasteful then yes it will flourish. As long it still hangs onto this false reality of America's rise to power wasn't guided by public policy it will continue to splinter into factions.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,942,353 times
Over the last 100 years we haven't had a single administration that even resembled conservatism.. I don't see it happening any time soon... Too many hogs at the trough...

Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 PM

4,585 posts, read 3,413,151 times
Considering that when I started attending local Republican Party meetings in 2001, I was outright told by the chair that fiscal conservatives were not welcome (because Karl Rove said so) I would say no.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,489,532 times
Quote:

As long as there is money to be made on anything the government does, then the answer is no.

[the military industrial complex is a powerful recipient]

Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
I doubt it because a fiscal conservative could never survive the Republican primary these days.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
If Conservatives can rid themselves of the social hardliners the Liberals can kiss their ass goodbye.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,468,414 times
Quote:

People who care about the nation more than their personal gain need to elect politicians who care more about the people than their personal gain. It can happen. It's not very likely, but it can happen.

Republicans haven't fought hard enough in the arenas of education and entertainment. Even on the occasions when Republicans have held some power they haven't done anything to reduce the Democrat indoctrination, so that now we have generations of citizens who are educated, entertained, and informed by teachers unions, Hollywood, and mass media who are ready and willing to abuse their positions for partisanship. I mean even on this forum you can see liberal after liberal who is unable to think for themselves.

But there is a breaking point where a (peaceful) revolution will take place. You saw it in 2010 when the Democrats overreached. And you see the Democrats trying to use wars on women and claims of racism and coverups to distract from their abject failure to competently govern in an attempt to avoid a repeat of 2010. The American spirit isn't broken yet. The ship hasn't sailed. The American spirit is beaten down but it's not gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies