Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Heh heh heh... Strange bedfellows, non?

Look, in order to cover as many people as possible, EVERYONE'S costs will go up. But, the hell of it is, costs are and will be SKYROCKETING anyway, with or without Obamacare. The uninsured, elective or otherwise, are going to bankrupt us all. And that is setting aside the MORAL argument of letting the poor die for lack of health care (I know THAT one is wasted on conservatives...)
Yes, once government started getting involved with healthcare, costs started skyrocketing. Now the liberal answer to that is to get government involved more.

Just like before we had a federal department of education, academic performance was higher and costs were lower. But the liberal answer to declining test scores is to put more money into the federal department of education.

We got the liberals' Great Society to end poverty and provide medical care and housing and education for all. And then medical care became unaffordable, school test scores started declining, housing projects became crime ridden hellholes that police were scared to go near, and poverty rates started rising.

And it's funny how you say everyone's costs will go up to cover more people when 5 years ago the story was that because more people would be in the system costs would be more spread out and thus would go down.

Quote:
Until we get a sane single-payer system, that's just how it is. Union members (including me) have to chip in too.
There is no sane single payer system. America is a nation founded on liberty. Any single payer system by virtue of being single payer has no choice and is thus by definition unAmerican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
My answer to the OP is NO (thankyou).

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I'll support lazy, thug, union racketeers when we can get a straight up-and down vote on whether we want to be open-shop or not. Union leadership is no different than communism or radical islam. We are forced to give but get nothing in return--our "leadership" is fat and lives large. Lets see, why did our dues get raised this last time ? Oh yeah, the girlfriends of our locals leadership wanted to have a weekend in 'Vegas under the guise of another "conference" . . . Sounds reasonable to me
Yes, Unions have become exactly what they were designed to fight against.

They are now useless and a detriment to American society. They are no different than the banksters and political elites.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
For the record, I am a member of a labor union. Since I work at an Ivy League university it was my employers that highly recommend that I join, because those employees who do not join do not get any kind of health insurance benefit, nor paid sick days, nor the right to collective bargaining, nor representation in disputes with the university.

For me it's a "no brainer."
Isn't that interesting. You work for a University that doesn't give ANY health benefits unless you join a Union? A university that doesn't give any sick days at all unless you join a Union?

To top all that off - your boss is practically demanding you join a Union, or be a slave.
Amazing

Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And that <bold> is what y'all will be paying a price for. When you put your life in the hands of others of dubious character and motives you get what you deserve. As a former union member (I always considered it a mob member) I lost all faith in the unions years ago after seeing so much crooked stuff going on not to mention the BA's and leadership living large on our $$$$ while telling us we're going to get $50 a week strike pay or $0 because the strike fund was empty.

Unions had their place many years ago. They got way to big for their britches, became drunk with power and greed flexing their muscles all the time. Unfortunately they flexed their muscles too much and ended up strangling the golden goose called manufacturing so we no longer have it.

The bottom line is unions now exist to keep the incompetent,lazy, do nothings employed who would in the past been terminated.
Had the unions thought of the "collective" they're so proud of instead of themselves they would've never stood still for Obamacare.
A summary that is right on the money.
Thank you.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
If left and right do not stand together with unions- All of you will find yourselves fading away with the slowly disappearing middle class. Those who do not band together can endure the idea of some chump in India or China having the job you should have had.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If left and right do not stand together with unions- All of you will find yourselves fading away with the slowly disappearing middle class. Those who do not band together can endure the idea of some chump in India or China having the job you should have had.
Why exactly to we have to stand with unions? If people stand together (to hell with the unions and what they want as they already GOT it) to defeat this it may work.
Here's the problem, as recent polls show the majority of people are against Obamacare and saying so and the "leaders" in D.C. aren't listening.
They know what's best for us stupid people. Now what?!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Stand with the unions after they sold out everyone else? Forget it, screw them. They helped make this bed, they can lie in it. If the unions thought this was such a bad idea they should have stood with the rest of America before this travesty was passed by the politicians THEY helped get elected.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
I was mostly joking, showing how large elements of the Democrat's base no longer want the law (polls show most Americans oppose it).

Obama will probably wave his magically legislating wand and illegally and unilaterally rewrite the law in favor of the unions on his way out of office in January 2017.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The "left and the right" did stand with Unions.
The Left and Unions pushed through ObamaCare ..... and then the Unions did a 180 when they discovered they didn't get a "special" carve-out as promised.

The Right never cast a single vote for this debacle - they welcome the support of Unions (and the Left) to make sure it doesn't "damage" all Americans. Unions are not interested in that position - they want a "special deal" like the "deal" that Obama just did for Federal Workers on Capitol Hill. That's not going to happen for Unions - Obama can't force Taxpayers to fund the Union's portion of their Health Insurance and give them a "subsidy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies