Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

So you don't care what actions are taken, who those actions effect, whether the actions are e have to start somewhere. That type of attitude is what has gotten us the disaster looming known as obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
So taking action when you don't even know if it will have any effect beats doing nothing? LOL

Obamacare was used as an example of doing something for the sake of doing it. Pay attention.

I just wonder how long you can hold up. You don't fool me.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So you don't care what actions are taken, who those actions effect, whether the actions are e have to start somewhere. That type of attitude is what has gotten us the disaster looming known as obamacare.
Lol! Gotta get your sour-grapes digs in, huh? This thread could be about lipstick or container gardening or homeless kittens, and you'll find a way to tie Obama into it.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
In Texas, we had a very mild summer, in fact... we were way below average for most of the summer. We just finally started to get up to normal with some 100+ degree days this month (a stagnant high is sitting over Texas at the moment, not uncommon for this area each summer).

Also, if you look at the US records for this summer, we had almost 10 times more low temp records than we did high temps.

Of course, this was all quietly ignored and you can see on the news now they are going on and on about how "hot" it is this month and using their favorite little focus on "indices" (feels like) to bump up the actual temps a bit more than they are.
By any chance would know how corn is doing in your area? it has failed here county wide. I am not sure about anything past my county. Failed for too much rain and too cold, no sun. At first i thought it was just me. but asking around I find everyone has failed.

City dwellers have no idea. In 2005 at harvest time there were many grain silos that never got filled..That was in Nebraska I was there.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Whiter Shade of Pale View Post
Sounds like you have bad farmers to me. The corn is great here.

Anyway, way back in the reaches of time there were 2 cavemen.

Caveman 1: "Whatcho doin ooga booga."

Caveman 2: "Me carve uhhh, round thing, wheel I will call it. It will uh, roll and help us live better."

Caveman 1: "Whyyou do that? Waste time, get to work hunting masto.. masto... big thing with tusky thingies. Where your scientifical studies that wheel will roll? Must have 100% agreement on consensus despite fact that I don't think science requires consensus at all."

Caveman 2: "If we kill mastodon, we can roll it home. It will help us live better and longer. My back hurts carrying mastodons."

Caveman 1: "You crazy. You foolhardy, idiot. You waste time. I like to carry Mastodons. My back no hurt. I'm not affected by that at all. ooga booga."

Caveman 2: "Well, we shall see, won't we."

Guess who is Caveman 1 and Caveman 2 here guys? Getting the emissions out of the central valley air is enough reason. That it will start chipping away at the warming is gravy.
Well this is the first year in 7 my corn and other peoples haven't been 7 feet high and 4 ears to the plant Jack.

fact is it is colder in the USA and in the world than Al Gore and his chump data gathers on graft and grants called for. There fore even while i have no idea what that madness was, you are WRONG

I know what cave men are, and suspect you are a banned ******* poster here. And i see how brave and mighty you are using the word 'here' with no clue where you are.
This ain't this year...... Oh Brave One

Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
By any chance would know how corn is doing in your area? it has failed here county wide. I am not sure about anything past my county. Failed for too much rain and too cold, no sun. At first i thought it was just me. but asking around I find everyone has failed.

City dwellers have no idea. In 2005 at harvest time there were many grain silos that never got filled..That was in Nebraska I was there.
I haven't checked, but I will make a point to do some asking when I get the chance.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Our corn is almost three weeks behind, worse in other places, from where it should be at in a normal year, but it's doing okay still, not dying in the fields, just growing slowly

Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Getting back to the thread topic.

According to this DMI temperature plot, the high Arctic has dropped below freezing about two weeks early

The storm is still going on in the Arctic, so it is unknown what the effect will be after the storm passes.

That said, the temps in the arctic have dropped below freezing about 2 weeks before they normally do.

Also, the entire melt seasons has been well under the normal line this year.

Here is a comparison of previous years:

Question is, what will happen? The early freezing can jump back up above freezing, as the animated gif shows, 2010 shows a similar early drop and swing up.

The storm may break up the ice and there may be a swing up in temps producing a sudden decline at the end of the season, much like it was last year. It really depends on how the storm changes the ice. There are numerous hypotheses as to what it could do, but we will have to wait it out and see.

Regardless, it is interesting and I think the below average temps for the entire seasons is another interesting aspect considering that there are several claims that predicted an iceless Arctic by this year.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Record heat: July warmest ever for Salt Lake City | The Salt Lake Tribune

Quote:
Record heat: July warmest ever for Salt Lake City
So what?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 AM

For fun, go look at the station they used, compare it with surrounding station records at the time, then use google to locate the station locations and the condition of its surroundings (is it near tarmac or any other amplifying source), then... look at how much they beat the record by and if you can find it, look to see what the historical landscape was like compared to what it is now.

These are important questions, especially when we are considering a record being beat by a single degree. Keep in mind that the USHCN network has the majority of the stations showing a CRN rating of 4 or higher (greater than or equal to 2 degrees or higher error bias). In many cases, these reports of records only tell us that airports are hot.

So, as you said... "So what"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies