Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
They're for being contrary to any policy the Democrats propose, even if that policy aligns with their ideals.
TPP is not an R vs D issue. It's not even a US issue.
Congress hasn't seen drafts of TPP.
The talks have been confidential since 2010.
Congress has been repeatedly asking to see it.
But there are 500 Corporate Representatives that have access to this document.

Last month the WH let Grayson read 3 chapters but he cannot talk about anything he read.
The TPP is a classified document. Parts got leaked..trade infringement and international arbitration.
But he did have this comment about the 3 chapters he did read:

Alan Grayson On Trans-Pacific Partnership: Obama Secrecy Hides 'Assault On Democratic Government'
"Having seen what I've seen, I would characterize this as a gross abrogation of American sovereignty," Grayson told HuffPost. "And I would further characterize it as a punch in the face to the middle class of America. I think that's fair to say from what I've seen so far. But I'm not allowed to tell you why!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Generally speaking, it's global and vocal environmental groups who seem most opposed to this agreement.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
TPP is not an R vs D issue. It's not even a US issue.
Congress hasn't seen drafts of TPP.
The talks have been confidential since 2010.
Congress has been repeatedly asking to see it.
But there are 500 Corporate Representatives that have access to this document.

Last month the WH let Grayson read 3 chapters but he cannot talk about anything he read.
The TPP is a classified document. Parts got leaked..trade infringement and international arbitration.
But he did have this comment about the 3 chapters he did read:

Alan Grayson On Trans-Pacific Partnership: Obama Secrecy Hides 'Assault On Democratic Government'
"Having seen what I've seen, I would characterize this as a gross abrogation of American sovereignty," Grayson told HuffPost. "And I would further characterize it as a punch in the face to the middle class of America. I think that's fair to say from what I've seen so far. But I'm not allowed to tell you why!"
From the link:

"This article has been updated to note that some congressional committee staffers are given access to portions of the negotiation text, and to clarify that labor groups, environmental organizations and other groups are officially permitted to see the text, although they have complained about lack of access to the negotiation process."

Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I thought the GOP was all about "free markets!" "less regulations!"
yes in America, not internationally, we must have fair trade not free trade...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 PM

26,972 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
How do you expect consumers from developing nations, making $1-$3 an hour, to purchase American made products when Americans are making $20+ an hour?

They can't.

However, Indians can purchase a Ford made in an Indian production facility.

It's either this or eventually your competitors will buy 51% of the stock in American corporations, shut down all the American production facilities and fire all of its workers.

It has nothing to do with Obama.

Obama cannot control the economy. He is not a wizard; however, he has raised your debt considerably and is instituting domestic policies that will further raise your debt, and make your economic downfall worse than it already will be.

Your problem is a labor surplus and the inability to compete globally.

Tell that to our new ObamaCore Burger Flippers.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,789,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
yes in America, not internationally, we must have fair trade not free trade...
Then why is the GOP doing everything they can to push free trade agreements and blocking everything that would stop the offshoring of jobs?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,298,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Then why is the GOP doing everything they can to push free trade agreements and blocking everything that would stop the offshoring of jobs?
It's a global economy. If you don't offshore production facilities, your competitors will. Additionally, many foreign corporations are nationalized, so what will American companies do when a country forms a holding company and purchases 51% of the equity, and proceeds to fire all the American employees?

The world does NOT need America.

That's what people don't seem to understand. There are an additionaly 6 billion people on this earth. 4% of the world's population is relatively insignficant.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,803,215 times
Obama keeps running his mouth about creating more middle class jobs, and everyone is getting a little tired of his 'alternative energy' mantra. Someone should tell him that the reason why America's middle class has shrunk, and India's and China's have exploded, is directly correlated to jobs we have lost to those countries, and unless they are brought back, the most we will ever see is a 'jobless recovery', which as we know, is a contradiction in terms. He could at least levy a tax on the outsourced jobs so we can ensure the American people get their food stamps.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What is disturbing?
More jobs being shipped out. I thought I was clear.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,319,509 times
WOW - just reading about this in a different place and wanted to search it on this forum. YIKES! If what they are trying to get through goes. this is serious business. Of course, the media doesn't cover this like it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies