Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do think people on welfare should have the right to vote in a state or federal election during an el
No they should not have the right to vote 49 32.03%
Yes they should have the right to vote 99 64.71%
Other 1 0.65%
Welcome to Costco I love you. 9 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? in a number of states i would be unable to vote as a result of GOP "voter id" laws which would require me to shell out $$$ to vote.
except for the fact that most of the states where voter id laws have been enacted or proposed, it also allows for people to obtain free id's. Also, most people have some form of id whether it be a state id or a drivers license. voter id laws would not prevent you from voting, if you chose to not get an id, that is your choice, not that you were not allowed to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,656 times
If you're going to change the voting laws, you need to amend the constitution to keep corporate interests from having a greater share of "freedom of speech."

In order to do this, you need a public referendum in 35 states, and then it must be ratified in 38 states.

The Constitution is modeled after Plato's republic. Plato wrote this:

Quote:

Every form of government tends to perish by excess of its basic principle.

Aristocracy ruins itself by limiting too narrowly the circle within which power is confined; oligarchy ruins itself by the incautious scramble for immediate wealth.

In either case the end is revolution.

When revolution comes it may seem to arise from little causes and petty whims; but though it may spring from slight occasions it is the precipitate result of grave and accumulated wrongs; when a body is weakened by neglected ills, the merest exposure may bring serious disease.

"Then democracy comes: the poor overcome their opponents, slaughtering some and banishing the rest; and give to the people an equal share of freedom and power."

But even democracy ruins itself by excess–of democracy. Its basic principle is the equal right of all to hold office and determine public policy.

This is at first glance a delightful arrangement; it becomes disastrous because the people are not properly equipped by education to select the best rulers and the wisest courses.

"As to the people they have no understanding, and only repeat what their rulers are pleased to tell them" (Protagoras, 317); to get a doctrine accepted or rejected it is only necessary to have it praised or ridiculed in a poplar play (a hit, no doubt, at Aristophanes, whose comedies attacked almost every new idea).

Mob-rule is a rough sea for the ship of state to ride; every wind of oratory stirs up the waters and deflects the course. The upshot of such a democracy is tyranny or autocracy; the crowd so loves flattery, it is so "hungry for honey," that at last the wiliest and most unscrupulous flatterer, calling himself the "protector of the people" rises to supreme power.

End Quote:

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Have you ever taken a drive through a city's projects? Ever attended a local community meeting?

Hand-ups are one thing. But perpetual hand-outs? I have seen multigenerational families who have lived in the same units for over 30 years.

Perhaps it's these types of people, who leech on society's sense of good will, have never lifted a finger to improve themselves, and give nothing positive in return to society, that many have a problem with.
It's not just innercity. A lot of people in rural majority white areas depend on welfare, just take a look at the Appalachia area and many areas in the deep south where poverty has run amok.

But in response to the OP, a lot of people on welfare are actually decent people. Sometimes people just hit a run of bad luck. I know somoene who works in a welfare office and they say they get a lot of college educated people who just can't find a job. They have had older employees come in applying for benefits who used to make six figures but were laid off. These are the very people who need to be voting because the economy is really affecting them. You never know when your luck could change or your company could bid you farewell suddenly.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
What a crazy topic. All Americans should have the right to vote regardless of their economic status in this country. I do believe in voter ID laws though and for the obvious reasons.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What a crazy topic. All Americans should have the right to vote regardless of their economic status in this country. I do believe in voter ID laws though and for the obvious reasons.
I agree, it makes you wonder what kind of country people wants to live in? The same people who quoting the constitution on subjects they feel strong about, all of a sudden contradict themselves now.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:

I agree. Reps.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I agree, it makes you wonder what kind of country people wants to live in? The same people who quoting the constitution on subjects they feel strong about, all of a sudden contradict themselves now.
That's the conservative way though, don't you know that by now? The only thing they truly give a crap about is holding on to their guns, screw everything else. But you'll hear them blathering over & over about how this country has gone down the sh*tter because no one idolizes the constitution anymore. And then....this.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How many of those registered voters actually showed up to vote? None.
Then we have:

Virginia man pleads guilty to voter fraud in Gingrich case - Washington Times

We used to restrict voting to male landowners. We have moved away from that position to one where every citizen over 18 has the right to vote. The idea of restricting it further is a regressive idea. What is worse is that it's somehow unethical to vote for the candidate that promises to make your life better.

In 2012, people voted for Obama because his health care law gave millions who wee uninsured access to coverage that Romney would have denied. What's wrong with those people?

But if it wrong for the underclass to vote for candidates who promise benefits, it's just as unethical for millionaires to vote and contribute to candidates who promise them tax-cuts.
When politicians start thumbing their noses at our laws for votes to make a certain ethnic group's lives better while making other American lives worse that is where I draw the line. So yes it is both unethical on the part of the politician and unethical on the part of those voters.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Why should life long recipients get to vote on how MY tax dollars are spent?

They're starting to outnumber the providers.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
except for the fact that most of the states where voter id laws have been enacted or proposed, it also allows for people to obtain free id's. Also, most people have some form of id whether it be a state id or a drivers license. voter id laws would not prevent you from voting, if you chose to not get an id, that is your choice, not that you were not allowed to

except that to get id i have to produce a birth certificate every time (including at renewal), and i am not aware of that being free anywhere. i have an expired id, but voter id laws do not expect expired id, which suggests these laws are NOT about verifying voter identity.

i choose to get FREE id, as a poor person i am unwilling to PAY to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies