Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only smokers be allowed to vote on taxes and regulations on cigarettes and tobacco in general
Yes 16 32.65%
No 33 67.35%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,360,507 times

Advertisements

I think we should triple the tax on large clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,935,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I think we should triple the tax on large clothing.
Sure... I mean... everyone should come up with their little pet peeve they have about other people and petition it to the government to Tax, Fine, and Fee everyone accordingly. Narcissists have to be free to pursue happiness! It is right there in the constitution and all, how people have a right to be happy and the government exists to do everything it can to attend to that desire. Such a grand country we live in! /sarc

Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,428,434 times
by that logic. . .

only meth users should vote on Meth being legal or illegal

Only hookers and johns should vote on prostitution rules and regulations

Only homosexual should be able to vote on the legality of same sex marriages

only people who have been shot, should vote on laws regarding gun use

Only people who work in corporations, should vote about legislation around corporation

I mean man, its a pretty stupid thing to say. . .can't believe the OP would think its reasonable.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,544,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If some think that only property owners should vote on property taxes, it seems only fair that only smokers should have the right to vote on cigarette taxes.

It makes much more sense to ban nonsmokers from voting on tobacco tax issues than it does to ban welfare recipients from voting across the board...

I see you didn't vote in your own poll.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,686,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The idea of only property owners voting is antiquated. Welfare recipients not voting im fine with.

Everyone pays for healthcare of cigarette smokers. As such, everyone votes.
Everyone isn't paying for smokers. Those welfare leachers don't pay for anything. Not even the food on their table.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,544,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
by that logic. . .

only meth users should vote on Meth being legal or illegal

Only hookers and johns should vote on prostitution rules and regulations

Only homosexual should be able to vote on the legality of same sex marriages

only people who have been shot, should vote on laws regarding gun use

Only people who work in corporations, should vote about legislation around corporation

I mean man, its a pretty stupid thing to say. . .can't believe the OP would think its reasonable.

That would be what we call the free market. Where government and laws(restrictions of our rights to freedom) don't get all up in the peoples business, trying to control them.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,647,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
From whence does this nonsensical idea come of citizens being allowed to vote for/against cig tax?

Remember SCHIP? The outrageous 0bama tax that tripled the cost of cigarettes? You know.....the one that Bush vetoed! Did you get the chance to vote? No? Didn't think so.

To answer the question, yes, only users should be allowed to vote for any tax, be it cigarettes, property, whatever.
From whence does this nonsensical idea come of citizens being able to vote for/against any tax?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,016,019 times
As a smoker I have voted to pay no tax on tabacco ever since the Obama tax,remember the great campaigner NOT a dime of new taxes,he calls them fines now.anyway Just find a new source and forget the taxes. I run about 50 cents a pack wich is pretty fair.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,188,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If some think that only property owners should vote on property taxes, it seems only fair that only smokers should have the right to vote on cigarette taxes.

It makes much more sense to ban nonsmokers from voting on tobacco tax issues than it does to ban welfare recipients from voting across the board...
As long as my tax money keeps paying for their health care and health problems from smoking, absolutely not. If my tax money stops going towards their health problems, then absolutely.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,555,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I see you didn't vote in your own poll.
I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies