Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times

Advertisements

I propose government-run industries or "public options" to compete with Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Banks, Big Insurance, and any other unregulated and overpriced service you can think of which now has us by the privates.
These would provide services without the billionaire CEOs and ravenous shareholders. They would have minimal overhead, could make a small profit like the USPS once did, and customers could choose their poison.
RW plutocrats could continue, by choice, to nurture their corporate heroes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Term limits on elected officials exclusion of special interests,lobbyists no pensions... no perks...no secret service for retired crooks.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I propose government-run industries or "public options" to compete with Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Banks, Big Insurance, and any other unregulated and overpriced service you can think of which now has us by the privates.
These would provide services without the billionaire CEOs and ravenous shareholders. They would have minimal overhead, could make a small profit like the USPS once did, and customers could choose their poison.
The oligopolies have to be broken up. The lack of competition is the problem. Im not sure how Government could provide competition but they should ensure it exists in a more efficient manner.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Just curious if you were in office of your government.....what things what you like to see changed or modified?

Now besides some snarky remarks of,"A different President" or "More Republicans or Democrats?"

How can we examine our vulnerabilities, shortcomings and it's excess or inefficiency of our government?

And how would YOU fix it?
I'd like to see our members of the legislative, judicial and executive branches start honoring their oaths to uphold the US Constitution. Then i'd like to see the 17th amendment repealed.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:25 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The oligopolies have to be broken up. The lack of competition is the problem. Im not sure how Government could provide competition but they should ensure it exists in a more efficient manner.
Here's why I think it could be done: the healthcare "public option" was formulated as a real system, but fought tooth-and-nail by the industry and its allies in Congress. Seems like if it were to be a failure, they would be glad to see it in place. What does that tell you? It tells me they feared its success.
If, as they constantly say, privatization "always does it better", why not allow that to be proven in the real world? If the public-run system is as awful as they claim, it would soon become obvious to all, and people would abandon it.

The single-payer system was "off the table" from the start, mainly because it didn't have a chance in negotiations. Obamacare is a compromise and an accommodation to the industry and its republicon allies - and coincidentally the same as Romneycare (which he now apparently hates).
If ObamaCare Is So Bad, How Does RomneyCare Survive? - Forbes
RomneyCare: What is RomneyCare?

Bottom line: if the industry opposes it, that is a sign that it would absolutely work - and they are well aware that such systems are popular in other countries and they don't want it to happen here.
Another case in point: the USPS itself, which was so successful that it had to be sabotaged by the republican-sponsored "reform" act of 2006. In the name of the republican "privatization" mindset, they do not want any government programs to succeed, and will do whatever they can to ensure that they don't. Wall Street is licking its lips over that two-trillion-dollar Social Security surplus and republicons want to get it to them.
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsro...d-69a1680fccc4

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-07-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahdj View Post
here's why i think it could be done: The healthcare "public option" was formulated as a real system, but fought tooth-and-nail by the industry and its allies in congress. Seems like if it were to be a failure, they would be glad to see it in place. What does that tell you? It tells me they feared its success.
If, as they constantly say, privatization "always does it better", why not allow that to be proven in the real world? If the public-run system is as awful as they claim, it would soon become obvious to all, and people would abandon it.

The single-payer system was "off the table" from the start, mainly because it didn't have a chance in negotiations. Obamacare is a compromise and an accommodation to the industry and its republicon allies - and coincidentally the same as romneycare (which he now apparently hates).
if obamacare is so bad, how does romneycare survive? - forbes
romneycare: What is romneycare?

bottom line: If the industry opposes it, that is a sign that it would absolutely work - and they are well aware that such systems are popular in other countries and they don't want it to happen here.
Another case in point: the usps itself, which was so successful that it had to be sabotaged by the republican-sponsored "reform" act of 2006. In the name of the republican "privatization" mindset, they do not want any government programs to succeed, and will do whatever they can to ensure that they don't. Wall street is licking its lips over that two-trillion-dollar social security surplus and republicons want to get it to them.
Sanders Defends Social Security from Wall Street Attacks - Newsroom: Bernie Sanders - U.S. Senator for Vermont
+1

Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Reduce the size of government by 50%.

Get government out of telling us how to live. Eliminate DEA, DHS, FEMA, EPA, ATF.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I would like to see each agency do an annual audit of their spending and charge/jail all those scamming the system.
Too much fraud is happening and the government is reactive to it rather than being proactive to prevent it.

I read today of one woman that had 31 bogus companies across several states and was getting all these government contracts for "minority women owned businesses". What she did was subcontract out the work. How she got caught was simple greed..she didn't pay the subcontractors.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
I propose just the opposite. There are no unregulated businesses.

Government should not be in the business of providing products and services. Go read the constitution.

And I propose that LW plutocrats give up their government subsidies.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Here's why I think it could be done: the healthcare "public option" was formulated as a real system, but fought tooth-and-nail by the industry and its allies in Congress. Seems like if it were to be a failure, they would be glad to see it in place. What does that tell you? It tells me they feared its success.

The single-payer system was "off the table" from the start, mainly because it didn't have a chance in negotiations. Obamacare is a compromise and an accommodation to the industry and its republicon allies - and coincidentally the same as Romneycare (which he now apparently hates).
If ObamaCare Is So Bad, How Does RomneyCare Survive? - Forbes
RomneyCare: What is RomneyCare?

Bottom line: if the industry opposes it, that is a sign that it would absolutely work - and they are well aware that such systems are popular in other countries and they don't want it to happen here.
Another case in point: the USPS itself, which was so successful that it had to be sabotaged by the republican-sponsored "reform" act of 2006. In the name of the republican "privatization" mindset, they do not want any government programs to succeed, and will do whatever they can to ensure that they don't. Wall Street is licking its lips over that two-trillion-dollar Social Security surplus and republicons want to get it to them.
Sanders Defends Social Security from Wall Street Attacks - Newsroom: Bernie Sanders - U.S. Senator for Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I propose just the opposite. There are no unregulated businesses.

Government should not be in the business of providing products and services. Go read the constitution.

And I propose that LW plutocrats give up their government subsidies.
In general: Private industry has proven it can provide the services while profitting, in the process however there is exclusion. Too much profit for too little people.

Government has very little record of demonstrating it can run an efficient business and profit or at least break even while providing services without exclusion. The taxpayer would be on the hook when the business fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies