Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He was great as Jason Bourne.

I never see any of his other ficks.
You never seen Good Will Hunting?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
third world? laughable and sad at the same time to think there would be no education without government schools.
Right now, better education can be found for free on the web. Ever hear of the Kahn Academy?
The public school system is an expensive failure, time to move forward.
Free education ... on the Web? You simply cannot be serious.

I shudder to think what our nation would be like if we relied on that. I think we'd actually be able to create a new category. Fourth World nation.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You never seen Good Will Hunting?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
....or "The Departed"?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
So what. I am a black woman with two kids and if I could afford it, I would send both of them to private schools. I do support public schools and I'm also a proponent of school choice (my kid goes to a charter) and vouchers (unfortunately my state doesn't have full vouchers but we do have a scholarship program that is funded by parents and businesses to send lower income kids - have to make less than $95K lol - to private schools and I am looking at using it to send my oldest to private high school).

Public schools AREN'T progressive enough. I have never been to LA, don't want to go, but I have seen, read, and heard horrible things about their public schools, especially schools serving predominately latino and black students. Though I'm sure Matt could have sent his girls to a good public school in LA, he probably wants to have a diverse school that teaches specific curriculum. Just so you know, lots of black people and latinos want to send their kids to private schools too who aren't even millionaires like Matt. Luckily there are programs set up to help them do it. And those students who go through those programs outperform and make more money in the long run than their public school counterparts.

And FWIW, I would support a full ban of all forms of education except public school - like what is done in Finland (people don't have a choice). This is why Finland has one of the best educational systems in the world - they don't have a choice and so everyone - the best and the worst go to public school. If we had that here, I'd gladly send my kids to public school. As it stands now, I will stick with our charter school, which I love and look for a private or even a boarding school scholarship for my son when he is ready for high school. I am planning on moving to another area though so hopefully they will have better high schools available where I don't have to move to the burbs (I don't like burbs, I like living in the inner city) to have my kids go to decent schools that will teach them.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
"diverse school" in private school? Huh?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There's a big difference between matriculating to college after high school graduation, and actually completing a college degree. Look at my post. My local school district bragged that 93% of their high school graduates went on to college. They offer AP classes, IB classes, etc., but STILL only adequately prepared 27% to succeed in first-year college classes.

There's a pretty big gap between 93% and 27%.
I did say graduate, right? Graduate from college. Not simply attend college.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There's a big difference between matriculating to college after high school graduation, and actually completing a college degree. Look at my post. My local school district bragged that 93% of their high school graduates went on to college. They offer AP classes, IB classes, etc., but STILL only adequately prepared 27% to succeed in first-year college classes.

There's a pretty big gap between 93% and 27%.
there are so many problems with your comment,but lets just stick to the biggest one.

Your article does not say only 27% succeeded in the first year in college, it says they took a test that said they may not succeed in college.

the 93% number is a researched fact based on students that actually graduated where as your 27% number is based on a prediction, one that has been wrong many times over.Have you ever taken the ACT ? It is a long drawn out boring test. According to my first try, i shouldnt even have been able to pass the second grade(im exaggerating of course), i did much better the second time around even after forgetting my calculator at home.

your argument would be better made if you had some factual data from the students first year in college rather than a test they took in high school that means nothing in reality other than how much scholarship money they will receive.

to be clear, my freshman year in college, my GPA was 3.75

Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
"diverse school" in private school? Huh?

Many CA schools use consortiums and provide scholarships to improve "diversity" at their schools. A lot of uber liberals like "diversity" and those with money, like Matt Damon would send their kids to these sorts of schools.

Like I mentioned, I have been looking into private schools for my son and I was surprised to see that CA schools especially have a large percentage of black, Hispanic, and Asian students as well as students from lower income backgrounds who are white, as well as international students. Usually about 45-50% of the student body is "diverse" in this way. So those private schools are more diverse than wealthy, white public schools in CA.

ETA: The high rated private schools I looked at in CA, (and these were boarding schools) had black populations of 15-20% and Hispanic populations of 15-20% so you could tell they were trying to even out the diversity amongst groups that are more underrepresented in traditional boarding/prep schools.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I did say graduate, right? Graduate from college. Not simply attend college.
Post the stats. Include a link for verification.

Don't take it personally, but a LOT of people are pretty misinformed when it comes to actual college graduation rates.
Quote:
Approximately 58 percent of first-time, full-time students who began seeking a bachelor's degree at a 4-year institution in fall 2004 completed a bachelor's degree at that institution within 6 years or 150 percent of normal completion time to degree. In comparison, 55 percent of first-time, full-time students who began seeking a bachelor's degree in fall 1996 earned a bachelor's degree within 6 years at that institution.

Completion rates for bachelor's degree seeking students who enrolled at a 4-year institution in fall 2004 varied by institutional control. Students at private nonprofit institutions had the highest graduation rates, followed by students at public institutions and private for-profit institutions. For example, the 6-year graduation rate at private nonprofit institutions was 65 percent, compared with 56 percent at public institutions and 28 percent at private for-profit institutions.
NCES Fast Facts

Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
there are so many problems with your comment,but lets just stick to the biggest one.

Your article does not say only 27% succeeded in the first year in college, it says they took a test that said they may not succeed in college.
No, it said only 27% of the graduating students were adequately prepared to have a 75% probability of earning a grade of C or better in first-year college classes in four subject areas (the usual gen ed classes first-year college students are typically required to take).

Quote:
the 93% number is a researched fact based on students that actually graduated
No. Apparently, you cannot read. The 93% is the percentage of high school graduates who the school district claims matriculate to college the fall after graduating high school.
Quote:
where as your 27% number is based on a prediction, one that has been wrong many times over. Have you ever taken the ACT ? It is a long drawn out boring test.
Which predicts success in college courses quite accurately. Read ACT's methodology:
Quote:
What data were used to establish the Benchmarks for the
ACT Test?

ACT’s College Readiness Benchmarks are empirically derived based
on the actual performance of students in college. As part of its Course
Placement Service, ACT provides research services to colleges to help
them place students in entry-level courses as accurately as possible.
In providing these research services, ACT has compiled an extensive
database of course grade and test score data from a large number of
first-year students and across a wide range of postsecondary institutions.
These data provide an overall measure of what it takes to be successful
in selected first-year college courses. Data from 98 institutions and over
90,000 students were used to establish the Benchmarks. The data were
weighted so that they would be nationally representative of two- and
four-year postsecondary institutions nationwide.
http://www.act.org/research/policyma...benchmarks.pdf

Quote:
your argument would be better made if you had some factual data from the students first year in college rather than a test they took in high school that means nothing in reality other than how much scholarship money they will receive.
Um... yeah. That's EXACTLY what ACT did when they calculated the College Readiness Benchmark scores.

You're in college? And you cannot read and comprehend basic info?

Which college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies