Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
probably the guy who designed the bart simpson "underachiever and proud of it" t-shirt. the difference is that men realize that it's just a t-shirt.
Which was a unisex t-shirt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Right, a joke. Which is why they have one in boy's sizes too. Oh wait, they don't.

There's a huge gender gap in STEM fields. Girls are not inherently worse at math than boys are, but still tend not to go into these fields. Displays of latent cultural sexism like that displayed on the shirt is part of the problem.

Girls will perform worse at math if you tell them that they are not good at math: Who is good at this game? Linking an activity to... [Psychol Sci. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
You are equating buying a humorous t-shirt with telling your child that they are bad at something. This is where you and I part ways on the path of common sense. I can absolutely guarantee that I could buy that shirt for my 8 year old daughter - who is, btw, at the top of her class in mathematics - and it wouldn't make her suddenly lose her ability or desire to achieve high scores in the subject. Why? Because myself and her mother encourage her to continue to excel at a subject which she loves.

I understand that some people have a limited sense of humor, and some have a desire to make sure that the world lines up with their own personal view of what's appropriate, but saying that a t-shirt is going to fundamentally change a child's ability or desire to succeed goes beyond personal morality into the realm of "because I said so."

Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
yes, because bart simpson was a girl. all shirts are technically unisex. girls need to get over it. talk about low self esteem.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
T-shirts are inherently unisex...

Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You are equating buying a humorous t-shirt with telling your child that they are bad at something. This is where you and I part ways on the path of common sense. I can absolutely guarantee that I could buy that shirt for my 8 year old daughter - who is, btw, at the top of her class in mathematics - and it wouldn't make her suddenly lose her ability or desire to achieve high scores in the subject. Why? Because myself and her mother encourage her to continue to excel at a subject which she loves.

I understand that some people have a limited sense of humor, and some have a desire to make sure that the world lines up with their own personal view of what's appropriate, but saying that a t-shirt is going to fundamentally change a child's ability or desire to succeed goes beyond personal morality into the realm of "because I said so."
Ok, I guess I'll stop backing up my "personal morality" with scientific studies then. I suppose the anecdotal evidence of how many young adult women have told me "I'm just bad at math" wouldn't convince you either.

They are not just bad at math. Someone has told them this. It might not have been a t-shirt, but it was the culture that made it ok to design that t-shirt.

Sexism disguised as humor is still sexism.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yeah, this wasn't a ban but rather a decision to not sell something. A decision made by stores a countless number of times a day.

Now my opinion is to loosen up a bit and don't get so upset over something like this.
yes, I know. I was trying to copy the title of the article. I remembered banned not pulled. my bad.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
It's a freakin fun t-shirt. My God, it's time the PC goes to bed. It's way past their bedtime.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I would find it amusing if the last checkbox was something like "chores" and not something that would actually hurt a girl's chances of choosing to become an engineer or astrophysicist.
yeah. agreed.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
Quote:
Ok, I guess I'll stop backing up my "personal morality" with scientific studies then. I suppose the anecdotal evidence of how many young adult women have told me "I'm just bad at math" wouldn't convince you either.

They are not just bad at math. Someone has told them this. It might not have been a t-shirt, but it was the culture that made it ok to design that t-shirt.

Sexism disguised as humor is still sexism.
How inane!

From a scientific perspective, anecdotal evidence is regarded as quite dubious for one to use it in support of a claim.

It is the antithesis of scientific evidence.

In fact, it's an informal fallacy.

Such logic sucks.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 08-06-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
probably the guy who designed the bart simpson "underachiever and proud of it" t-shirt. the difference is that men realize that it's just a t-shirt.
that's not even the same thing. Bart is a cartoon character known for his attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies