Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you don't have a job, who is to blame
Yourself 33 84.62%
Obama 4 10.26%
Illegal immigrants 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've never been on unemployment handouts so I can't blame anyone. When I lost a job, I went out and got another one.
Same.

Granted it was a different time (I fully retired in 2009), but I never wanted for a job during my working years. There's no doubt 0bama's policies, especially 0care, are detrimental; employers are reluctant to hire when they don't know or fear what's coming down the pike, but for the most part, I believe if you want a job, you'll get one. Just because you have a degree in some goofy field doesn't qualify you for a high-paying job; if you want to work, you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It's a little scary... and funny... when people cheer for other countries presidents.

The president doesn't create jobs.
No, but he sure can implement policies that do great harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't think it really works that way.

Suppose you were making a decent income (let's say 40-60 K per year) and get laid off because the company you work for is downsizing. Because you were making a decent income, let's say you get a decent unemployment benefit ($350-400 per week.) Would it make logical sense to forgo that unemployment benefit to work 20 hours a week, making $8 an hour? That would be fiscally irresponsible and would jeopardize the well-being of the individual laid off and their families. So it's not about being lazy - it's about doing what makes financial sense. Believe me, if there was no unemployment, people would be doing the latter, but because we don't want individuals lives to be completely ruined and our children starving due to other people's business decisions, we have unemployment insurance.
Oh, bull hockey. If you want more than 20 hours, get 2 jobs, for Pete's sake. It's not rocket science.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I thought Obama was too blame for people not working???? Surprised at the results of the poll

You forget, we conservatives believe in personal responsibility. I know it's a hard concept for libs to absorb.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, bull hockey. If you want more than 20 hours, get 2 jobs, for Pete's sake. It's not rocket science.
This is an illogical, and quite frankly, insensitive way of looking at the issue.

If you were making 40-60 K annually, you are probably worth close to that. Why should somebody who is worth that choose to toil away at 20 K annually? Wouldn't it hurt the people also (through increased competition) that at a maximum are able to earn 20 K per year? Furthermore, why would you want to support policies that would encourage that? That's what unemployment insurance is for - to ensure our professionals can use their skills as professionals and not be thrown to the wolves if something bad beyond their control happens.

I know you're a conservative and stuff, but do you really support lowering wages for all Americans who aren't lucky enough to be part of the elite power structure?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

I know you're a conservative and stuff, but do you really support lowering wages for all Americans who aren't lucky enough to be part of the elite power structure?
It's Dale. Of course he does.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So who is to blame for lack of employment, the unemployed or Obama??
He's correct, no one is going to look out for you, but you. It may be tough to find one in your area, but we have an entire country for you to travel around in.

If you are sitting home, with no job, you will not get a job until you go out and get one. No one will come to your couch, switch off your TV and hand you a job. North Dakota is hiring, you could move there, even temporarily, and get a job. I hear that in north Dakota, Walmart is starting box boys out at $17/hour.

Obama's policies are killing the economy, and reducing the incentives to hire new people and invest in new businesses, so he does deserve blame here for helping to create the climate for a poor economy.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
You forget, we conservatives believe in personal responsibility. I know it's a hard concept for libs to absorb.
As you believe in 'less government' and 'less spending' yet consistently fail at both?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
He's correct, no one is going to look out for you, but you. It may be tough to find one in your area, but we have an entire country for you to travel around in.

If you are sitting home, with no job, you will not get a job until you go out and get one. No one will come to your couch, switch off your TV and hand you a job. North Dakota is hiring, you could move there and get a job. I hear that in north Dakota, Walmart is starting box boys out at $17/hour.
I always have to laugh at people who really think WalMart is going to hire someone with a college degree and a resume showing a professional career.

I mean, what kind of HR moron would do that?

These places don't want smart people. They want dumb ones who are completely reliant on their pitiful little job and never make a move without taking direct orders from some Peter Principle middle manager. (You Cons are always pointing out how people who work at WalMart don't deserve a living wage because they're so stupid, so I know you understand.)

I've heard from so many people with incredible stories that make your hair curl.

Here's my personal one. When laid off in 2003, while looking for more work in marketing, I also applied to WalMart, Costco, Lowe's, Home Depot, and dozens of other box stores and similar places.

It took me three years before Home Depot called out of the blue. I had tried everything, from re-submitting my application online to begging for favors from someone I knew there to get me in to see an actual person. (Thank god in the interim I struggled along making $10 an hour as a part-time lifeguard and swim instructor ... without those special skills, I'd have been toast).

Just one example of how smart, professional, hardworking people suck at places like Home Depot:

I was working in appliances, and we weren't allowed to sit at the desk unless we were actively filling out paperwork etc. to sell something to a customer. One day I was watching the paperwork slide slowwwwly out of the printer, while with a customer, and because I'm used to multi-tasking, I answered the phone, too.

Low-level manager [shrieks]: "What are you doing at the desk? You shouldn't have answered the phone so fast!!!!"

Me: "I'm with a customer, prin--"

LLM: "Well, get back to the customer and quit talking to me!!!!"

Incidents like that happened every day. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't be stupid enough to make them happy. I've never been so glad to leave a place.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Then WHY is it conservatives are so ready and willing to look out for other people around the world at the expense of American taxpayers while being so willing to tell Americans to pi$$ off?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Depends......

My son has had 5 different jobs this year. His current one is one he lost earlier in the year. He is 22 single with few responsibilities so.........

Jobs are out there. If you are only interested in 6 figure jobs, then no, it's not so easy.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Probably yourself or your parents.Immigration issues are a factor but not directly responsible.Also the unions and the outsourcing of cheap labor by greedy capitalists are clearly part of the unemployment problem. Too many issues going on to blame one cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies