Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you don't have a job, who is to blame
Yourself 33 84.62%
Obama 4 10.26%
Illegal immigrants 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
He's correct, no one is going to look out for you, but you. It may be tough to find one in your area, but we have an entire country for you to travel around in.

If you are sitting home, with no job, you will not get a job until you go out and get one. No one will come to your couch, switch off your TV and hand you a job. North Dakota is hiring, you could move there, even temporarily, and get a job. I hear that in north Dakota, Walmart is starting box boys out at $17/hour.

Obama's policies are killing the economy, and reducing the incentives to hire new people and invest in new businesses, so he does deserve blame here for helping to create the climate for a poor economy.
You just contradicted yourself.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
If you can't find work, be willing to step out of the box, to re-invent yourself.

Take jobs you might not have considered before, to keep busy and to keep visible

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
A rich blowhard can believe anything he wants. The fact is that there are more seeking jobs than job openings. The Horacio Alger's out there can claim that they can make their own job but it's hard to do when demand is down.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't think it really works that way.

Suppose you were making a decent income (let's say 40-60 K per year) and get laid off because the company you work for is downsizing. Because you were making a decent income, let's say you get a decent unemployment benefit ($350-400 per week.) Would it make logical sense to forgo that unemployment benefit to work 20 hours a week, making $8 an hour? That would be fiscally irresponsible and would jeopardize the well-being of the individual laid off and their families. So it's not about being lazy - it's about doing what makes financial sense. Believe me, if there was no unemployment, people would be doing the latter, but because we don't want individuals lives to be completely ruined and our children starving due to other people's business decisions, we have unemployment insurance.
You are making too much sense. The bootstrappers hate that.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
I said, it's your own fault. When I lost my job in 2004, of 11 years, I went out, and until I found full time employment, worked, 2, 3, and sometimes 4 part time jobs a week, until I was full time employed again. I paid my mortgage, kept food on the table for myself and my 2 children, paid their doctor bills, out of my own pocket, and their medicine. I never once went on the public dole, never once took any handouts.

Had it been required, I would have accepted medical assistance for my children, and then paid it back, but was always able to make ends meet.

Besides, anyone who says there are not any jobs, hasn't picked up a paper and looked at the help wanted section, or seen a head hunter, or any of the other number of places where jobs are posted.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,161 times
Sure there are jobs out there, very low paying, unskilled type jobs that your average person would hang themselves after work thinking about it. There would be more jobs available if the supposed "job creators" had more reasonable qualifications. I've seen a posting for a dog walker asking for at minimum a bachelors degree. for a simple receptionists job a bachelors degree with at least two years experience as well as to be certified in several ms office programs. To those saying there are jobs out there try feedinga family and surviving in nyc on nothing

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Former GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain, If you don't have a job, blame yourself, do you agree?

Cain should stick to pizza parlors, which he apparently has a grasp of. As last year's campaign revealed, he's a pitiful lightweight on anything else.

The glaringly obvious fact in this current anemic economy isn't that people don't want to work. It's that there aren't enough jobs. Blame the Great Recession of 2008 and hyperpartisan politicians who oppose all efforts at recovery.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default If you don't have a job, blame yourself, do you agree?

Yes i agree, i have some friends who are contractors, they are always looking for good workers, If a person wants to work the jobs are out there, it may not be what you want to do but it's work. You wont find a job sitting at home watching TV.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yes i agree, i have some friends who are contractors, they are always looking for good workers, If a person wants to work the jobs are out there, it may not be what you want to do but it's work. You wont find a job sitting at home watching TV.
Cool! So if I get laid off from my job tomorrow, would they hire a 50-something woman with a professional career in marketing but no construction experience? Awesome! Problem SOLVED!

I remember when Saint Ronnie ranted about welfare queens and pointed to the classified ads in the Washington Post, saying that there were plenty of jobs to be had it those damn black women weren't so lazy.

Of course everyone looked, and most of the jobs were for heart surgeons and rocket scientists, but that didn't faze the cons one bit. It never does.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:17 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've never been on unemployment handouts so I can't blame anyone. When I lost a job, I went out and got another one.

My God! Who are you? Superman? Nobody can just 'get another job' like you say.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies