Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
LOL my college is life. But thank you for the compliment. I grew up in a poor household with too many kids. My parents as a result never really were able to save for their old age.
It is not at all surprising to see people who have an education decide to have fewer kids than uneducated people. Professionals tend to have a plan and stick to it.
Going up the food chain a little higher - There was a family that I was close to for a short period in my life...The father was a very powerful lawyer and had his own bank or "investment company" - His wife volunteered and sat on the boards of a few charities and for a time was the head lady at the museum. They did not restrict the number of children they had- They had a huge family...This old rich guy would like to brag that at Christmas dinner he would have over 25 people in attendance- all family. So on that level these people knew they could have and educate as many kids as they wanted and the more the better it seemed.

BUT the difference is - out of all the kids and grand kids in this family all of them will inherit good positions and millions of dollars each- There future is secure for generations to come....That is the other side of the story...You can either have a large family and be poor and get by - or be rich and have a large family and get by.....The super rich have wealth that is accumulated through a few generations...Those "professional" who are just building their wealth - or the new rich can not afford to NOT work...so they are similar to the poor who can not "afford" children. One way or another having children is always a good INVESTMENT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Finally, I embrace being a little bit selfish. With a little luck I have 70+ years on this earth and dammit I am going to make the most of them. We know nothing of what comes after that...
Haha, this is pretty much how I feel and I don't even think it's selfish.

I'm 26 and when I look at my friends that are having children (no degree or stable job, not the best living situations) I feel that it is actually selfish for some of them to have children like it's getting a pet dog or something.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

I'm 26 and when I look at my friends that are having children (no degree or stable job, not the best living situations) I feel that it is actually selfish for some of them to have children like it's getting a pet dog or something.
I know lots of people who have kids do so because they think it'll fix their marriage, trap a man, be fun for them to "play" with; or they are bored, or they think it'll give them a reason to exist, it'll be a cute plaything to dress up, or they just want something to carry on their name (and when it's not a boy they are mad and demand their wife have another even if the birth is risky to her life) and all sorts of other sad things. One lady complained to me that she didn't like caring for her infant and what a pain it was, smoked through her whole pregnancy. Then told me she was going to have another. When I asked her why because her first one was "such a pain" she looked at me like I grew a 2nd head. Seriously, why are people so STUPID when it comes to having kids?

I think a lot of people just have kids because "that's just what humans do" and they just don't know any better. I know people who tell me they don't even want to have kids but they think they "have to" cause "someone said so". I mean - people have actually SAID THAT to me! I have had men tell me they don't want kids but their wives "Said so" so "oh well guess I'm having kids". I remember one man so against having kids, and when his friend asked him what happened when his girl got pregnant. He said she went off birth control. His friend asked him why he would allow that if he didn't want kids? The guy had a deer-in-the-headlights look as said, "I don't know I guess I was hoping it just wouldn't happen?" I mean come on people! How DUMB can you get!!

I know many people who are GREAT parents. It's like they were born to be - some by accident, some on purpose. And I admire them, respect them. They step up to it, they do right by their children, they raise them to be respectful, proper adults. They teach them to behave, and respect other children, adults, animals, and everyone around them. And I love it. They are SMART parents. But god, some people just really shouldn't be. But unfortunately they don't think about it, and they don't learn their lesson the first time and they just keep having them.

Last edited by DR2012; 08-07-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
too bad these insanely bright people will not have any children to pass the good genes/knowledge along to, and appreciate their parents accomplishments.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. I've met a lot of women who have little in the way of accomplishments in life, either because they lack the ability or simply never tried, who find their sense of importance through their children as if breeding makes one special.
This sort of reasoning applies to men, too.

No reason for consenting adults to engage in unprotected sex, unless both are reasonably prepared emotionally and financially, for the outcome.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
It's reverse evolution. The people who should have more children have fewer. Dumbasses who shouldn't breed at all just keep popping them out.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

For many people having kids is an as an ego thing. They either think that their genes are so special that they are required and beholden to pass them on or just need to fulfill some type of sociological obligation.

I think that women that have dissed the "biological clock" BS, left more room for brains.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
What I see more and more is women make a choice between career and being parents. But its a huge trend that those successful actually have children later in life more and more. I see it had having nothing to do with high IQ in wanting or not wanting children. Most of the top CEOs that are women also are mothers. Some careers and success ratios just do not allow mnay just has teachers I the past had choice often between teaching and marriage; not both by societies standards then.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just because a person is intelligent does not mean they can not be conditioned at an early age. I can see it now..."You are special - you are highly intelligent ....you have such great potential.... you can do something with your life- you don't have to be dominated by a man- you can have a career JUST like a man" - feminist eccentric propaganda is just now showing it's face with young adult females. These career oriented females as they get older will find out that they were not liberated but tossed into the labor force of common modern slavery...so how "clever" can they be....Nothing more silly than a 45 year old female CEO sitting in a bar drinking like a man.
Must be a bitter pill to swallow knowing she makes 30 times what you do, eh?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The uglier you are the more unlikely you are to have children too.

That explains the leftie attitude about children!

ugly democrat women - Bing Images
Can you back that up with statistics? If not, then this statement is not only fallacious, but condescending and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies