U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:07 AM

16,686 posts, read 10,281,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What's wrong with appearing on TV? If I am not mistaken they talked about those very issues on that show
Exactly the point. All Obama does is talk. He loves the sound of his own voice so much, and is so incapable of putting together a single tangible, legitimate idea, he falls back on making the speaking circuit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,159,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
As the president of the U.S., I think it's very tacky to be on TV smiling and joking while so many are looking for work
Me TOO! Who does he think he is going on a show like that trying to be "cool" while all of his actions lead to more devastation and wreakage?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM

73,524 posts, read 39,645,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Exactly the point. All Obama does is talk. He loves the sound of his own voice so much, and is so incapable of putting together a single tangible, legitimate idea, he falls back on making the speaking circuit.
So, you think it would be better to express yourself by means other than talking? There has never been a president who didn't talk, and never will be. I take it you do not agree with the ideas he mentioned in the Leno show?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,902,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Define "low IQ base." Obama won postgrads 55-42% in 2012. Evidently there are some high IQ folks in his base too.
Perhaps these were the post grads that thought they were getting some high pay jobs in his 'green' companies, ya know those that went under on our dime.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 AM

90,377 posts, read 109,575,581 times
I know I'm late to the party, forgive me if I'm being repetitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
TV is a very effective way to communicating with the American people.

June 16, 1960: Senator John F. Kennedy appears on Jack Parr’s Tonight Show:

1968: Richard Nixon delivers a signature line on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In:

March 13, 1975: Ronald Reagan appears on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (although he was not a candidate at the time, he announced his candidacy for the 1976 race months later)

1992: Bill Clinton plays sax on The Arsenio Hall Show:

2000: George W. Bush delivers a Top Ten list on Late Night with David Letterman:

2008: Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin raps on Saturday Night Live (presidential nominees Barack Obama and John McCain also appeared on different episodes)

March 2012: Mitt Romney appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Eight Famous Presidential Visits To Late Night TV (Video) | Mr. Media Training
Weren't some of them on MTV, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post

That's different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Running a business or work experience in the real world might have given Obama some kind of insight into how jobs are created and what taxpayers face.

Obama doesn't have the skills to run even a Godfather's Pizza franchise. That's why he promised to create 5 million new jobs. He actually had no clue what job creation actually takes.
One night while watching the Godfather's Pizza guy once again showing his lack of knowledge of world affairs, I said to DH, "He's been too busy making pizza to keep up with the world", to which DH agreed and said, "He doesn't even know what we (he and I) know".

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 3,870,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
you misspelled democrap...
Ah yes, another witty, intelligent barb from Bily. I'm writing them all down in my diary to help elevate my debating skills.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 6,868,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I just wanted to see him make a fool of himself like he always does when there is no teleprompter around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I hope someone has given Obama a geography lesson, and showed him where the Gulf of Mexico is. That's what happens when he goes off script.
As usual - the off teleprompter bits are a hoot. They slide right over the heads of the low information types that take the words of the Big O as some sort of gospel. Jay Leno gets kudos for at least trying ask some serious questions - unfortunately he didn't have a very serious guest.

Transcript from the interview:

Quote:
(Jay Leno) Q. You mentioned infrastructure. Why is that a partisan issue? I live in a town, the bridge is falling apart, it’s not safe. How does that become Republican or Democrat? How do you not just fix the bridge? (Laughter and applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: I don’t know. As you know, for the last three years, I’ve said, let’s work together. Let’s find a financing mechanism and let’s go ahead and fix our bridges, fix our roads, sewer systems, our ports. The Panama is being widened so that these big supertankers can come in. Now, that will be finished in 2015. If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Savannah, Georgia, or Jacksonville, Florida — if we don’t do that, those ships are going to go someplace else. And we’ll lose jobs. Businesses won’t locate here.
The only conceivable way to interpret what Obama actually said is that the ports of Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville are “along the Gulf” of Mexico. Of course, these ports are really on the Atlantic Ocean.

I put a map of the USA in the mail to Obama yesterday with the Gulf Coast carefully marked along with the Atlantic Coast cities he referenced. I wish others would try to help him out by doing the same thing - poor guy needs a lot of help with basics like geography.

"Gulf Coast" was good, but not as the Intercontinental Railroad he wants to build. It's an embarrassment.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 AM

16,686 posts, read 10,281,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you think it would be better to express yourself by means other than talking? There has never been a president who didn't talk, and never will be. I take it you do not agree with the ideas he mentioned in the Leno show?
What ideas? Show me one legitimate "idea", that's more than just grandiose generalizations.

Of course you communicate by talking. But you communicate PLANS by talking. The man talks for the sake of talking. More accurately, he lectures. He's such a legend in his own mind, that he truly believes that if he just spews forth "big picture" ideas, they will somehow be fleshed out by fairies, and become something that works. Hasn't happened yet, and doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime in the near future.

Please, share with me one idea that was a "plan" that can be implemented. Not just a wish list.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

73,524 posts, read 39,645,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What ideas? Show me one legitimate "idea", that's more than just grandiose generalizations.

Of course you communicate by talking. But you communicate PLANS by talking. The man talks for the sake of talking. More accurately, he lectures. He's such a legend in his own mind, that he truly believes that if he just spews forth "big picture" ideas, they will somehow be fleshed out by fairies, and become something that works. Hasn't happened yet, and doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime in the near future.

Please, share with me one idea that was a "plan" that can be implemented. Not just a wish list.
I think you need to pay attention, because it is common knowledge that he plans to cut corporate tax, remove loopholes, and boost the infrastructure enhancement project. As you know, presidents cannot authorize such things without the Congress, which is why the GOP and Dems in Congress have been discussing this for some time now. How can there still be people who have not heard about these plans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies