Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
I'm proud to know that he is aware of the fact that Americans will not accept a truly motivational person in the Oval Office without them appearing on venues like "The Tonight Show".

Bill Clinton should have done the same thing back in the Lewinski days. Would have saved a lot of trouble. W should have too after 9/11.

Americans must cease being so serious about what is appropriate for their well-appointed representatives to do when it comes to being on TV or doing online appearances. Newspapers are dead and AM radio is the last bastion of the illiterate. Americans want to like their chosen president and what better way to get them to idolize than something like casual talk shows? He is only there to entertain and soothe, just as the next one and the one after that will be so what is the big deal?
Most right-wingers on here are bothered with it because he's a Democrat. A few of those people I mentioned are bothered even more on the basis that he is black as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most right-wingers on here are bothered with it because he's a Democrat. A few of those people I mentioned are bothered even more on the basis that he is black as well
And then there are others who are bothered by his incompetence. We should have elected Hermann Cain who had CEO experience.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM

361 posts, read 725,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
1. Many are still unemployed

2. Many struggling to survive working at part-time jobs

3. Crappy Economy

4. Many living in Poverty

But this fool is going to go on TV and smile on a late night comedy show. What the hell is wrong with him?

Obama to Appear On Jay Leno Aug. 6 | Variety
Ok. Are you done venting?

What you just described above is nothing out of the ordinary. It's happening in ALL countries. It doesn't keep presidents from taking vacations or entertaining themselves.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
TV is a very effective way to communicating with the American people.

June 16, 1960: Senator John F. Kennedy appears on Jack Parr’s Tonight Show:

1968: Richard Nixon delivers a signature line on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In:

March 13, 1975: Ronald Reagan appears on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (although he was not a candidate at the time, he announced his candidacy for the 1976 race months later)

1992: Bill Clinton plays sax on The Arsenio Hall Show:

2000: George W. Bush delivers a Top Ten list on Late Night with David Letterman:

2008: Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin raps on Saturday Night Live (presidential nominees Barack Obama and John McCain also appeared on different episodes)

March 2012: Mitt Romney appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Eight Famous Presidential Visits To Late Night TV (Video) | Mr. Media Training
Obama is the first sitting president to appear on talk shows. Obama just took his ability to be a comedian from the WH to the talk show circuit.

All of the above did so before running or becoming President.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM

234 posts, read 184,717 times
Quote:
Who cares about someone's melanin count?

Seriously, this is the 21st Century. TV is the current go-to medium. These old ways of being above a certain thing is trite and expired. Reagan would have gladly gone and talked with Carson if he could have while he was president. Culture is not some guilt-based respectability quotient for the proper person anymore. It is democratic and populist and no one who seems to follow the old ways is ever going to be elected to the presidency ever again. That proprietal way of seeming to be better than something plebian mindset is of a by-gone era.

In an age when a maximum number of people must be reached, TV and the web makes it possible. Who here dislikes democracy so much they would limit it's availability?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I'm not watching but I can hear Obama doing a lot of stuttering in the other room which means he is lying about something. The man never sounds intelligent when he doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him
We needed an "uh" counter tonight it was that bad.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
Who cares about someone's melanin count?

Seriously, this is the 21st Century. TV is the current go-to medium. These old ways of being above a certain thing is trite and expired. Reagan would have gladly gone and talked with Carson if he could have while he was president. Culture is not some guilt-based respectability quotient for the proper person anymore. It is democratic and populist and no one who seems to follow the old ways is ever going to be elected to the presidency ever again. That proprietal way of seeming to be better than something plebian mindset is of a by-gone era.

In an age when a maximum number of people must be reached, TV and the web makes it possible. Who here dislikes democracy so much they would limit it's availability?
These are people who need to be led and they have an expectation of what a "leader" should be. The leaders they typically have in their lives are ministers, patriarchs and bosses. They expect their president to be the same.

I didn't much care what Dubs did with his time when he was in office. To be honest, I always felt the less time he spent personally involved with something important, the better off I was. If we're being honest about it, what the president does has so little effect on the day-to-day lives of you or I, we may as well be going off on the Maytag Man about our problems. I cannot imagine a version of me that would ever be able to stomach the idea of being "led" by anyone, certainly not by a politician. Even at work, I am not "led" by anyone. The boss is the guy I depend on to periodically make unilateral decisions that are in my best interests. I don't look to him to motivate me nor to bestow some nugget of wisdom. The same goes for the president.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
We needed an "uh" counter tonight it was that bad.
People like you puzzle me. Why in the world would you devote 20 minutes of your life to watch something that obviously annoys you or just wastes your time? Forget about TV, there are people in this life who annoy or just really bother me. Guess how much time I give them?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
I've heard a lot of that when Romney was running as well, that businessmen historically do not make good presidents and presidential candidates and have a difficult time selling their ideas and connecting with the people
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Andrew Johnson
Herbert Hoover
Warren Harding
Franklin D Roosevelt
Harry Truman
Jimmy Carter
George HW Bush
George W Bush (we can skip this one)

All ran businesses before becoming president.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
This is what Pukes care about? Obama on the "Tonight Show"? I am "worried" because he should be on the Jimmy Kimmel show instead! Who the hell watches Jay Leno and the Tonight show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies