Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

600 posts, read 659,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Settle out of court. Nothing changes. However, an Indian friend, also a citizen of the US so no visa issue, tells me his American born, female employees are mostly pretty horrible. Whether it is a cultural attitude on his part is unknown. That might play a part in his attitude. But he tells me their work ethic is awful. Some of them smoke and always seem to be on a smoke break, potty break or chatting on their phones with someone. And of course under American employment law, there is extended time off for family issues and so on. It comes as no surprise any company tries to hire foreign folks who are quite likely more skilled, more obedient and more productive. It isn't just because of cheap labor costs that companies go abroad, it is also to avoid so many draconian rules, regulations and now Obamacare will provide more impetus to pull up stakes and move. Just the way things are.

yea, a 40 hr work week is really draconian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Not surprised at all. The Indians I have encountered work wise (I work in a technical field)do not think Americans are smart, especially American women. I've had interviews at companies run by Indian visa workers and all of the women were at the bottom of the work force.

Yet we continue to keep importing workers we don't need. Ones who dislike our system and our way of life.
Well where are your intelligent technical workers going to come from if you do not import them?

India graduates more engineers per year than the U.S. does all degrees combined.

You got enough lawyers to choke a python but they don't design or build anything do they?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Infosys, an Indian IT software and services company with offices throughout the world, has been accused of discriminating against American job applicants. One Infosys employee who raised concerns about the company's hiring practices was repeatedly called a "stupid American," the lawsuit states.

Infosys has about 15,000 employees in the US "and approximately 90 percent of these employees are of South Asian descent (including individuals of Indian, Nepalese, and Bangladeshi descent)," the lawsuit states.

Indian IT firm accused of discrimination against “stupid Americans” | Ars Technica
None of this comes as any surprise to those of us who've had the misfortune to work with these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This is why we need to eliminate the H-1B visas.
This.

Quote:
Not surprised at all. The Indians I have encountered work wise (I work in a technical field)do not think Americans are smart, especially American women. I've had interviews at companies run by Indian visa workers and all of the women were at the bottom of the work force.

Yet we continue to keep importing workers we don't need. Ones who dislike our system and our way of life.
And this.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well where are your intelligent technical workers going to come from if you do not import them?

India graduates more engineers per year than the U.S. does all degrees combined.

You got enough lawyers to choke a python but they don't design or build anything do they?
We have these workers here. I know many educated scientists and engineers who are unemployed.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I think one issue is, once Indians become managers and CEOs, they tend to hire more Indians.
It is not a very healthy culture.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
To grossly generalize, Indian companies and American companies also look for different skills.

Indian companies want people who will do exactly what they are told. Give them specs, and they will follow it to the letter. American companies what employees who will take the specs, and recommend improvements or changes if needed.

Infosys is also really cheap. I worked at a company, who hired them to subcontract some work. I later found that they paid their employees less than American minimum wage (or some other really low wage just above minimum wage for a job that started at $60k) by saying they were actually employees of an indian company and not an american one. They are sketchy all around.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
We have these workers here. I know many educated scientists and engineers who are unemployed.
Most Indians work in IT and finance.
Honestly I have never seen any American programmer out of job.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
seriously?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
I've known engineers and scientists out of jobs because of them. The only jobs they don't take are those that tend to be service or dealing with others.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
The rest of us seem to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies