Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Not surprised at all. The Indians I have encountered work wise (I work in a technical field)do not think Americans are smart, especially American women. I've had interviews at companies run by Indian visa workers and all of the women were at the bottom of the work force.

Yet we continue to keep importing workers we don't need. Ones who dislike our system and our way of life.
So what is this "way of life" you're speaking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
U.S. people have been worrying about the next wave of immigrants taking their jobs, since forever.
My concern is less about immigration in general, and more about the specific wage-depressing effects of the H1B program on high tech fields.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
What firms in those countries are hiring large amounts of American programmers?
I think Americans are too expensive for them to hire and make a profit, but here's a freelance site that Americans can use.

https://www.elance.com/r/contractors...mming/ind-true

Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think Americans are too expensive for them to hire and make a profit, but here's a freelance site that Americans can use.

https://www.elance.com/r/contractors...mming/ind-true
This tells me nothing about the outflow of American-born programmers from the U.S. to Brazil, China, India , and Russia.

Suffice to say I am skeptical that this is actually a trend. I think you're making this up.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
This tells me nothing about the outflow of American-born programmers from the U.S. to Brazil, China, India , and Russia.

Suffice to say I am skeptical that this is actually a trend. I think you're making this up.
I'm not making anything up. If you recall I never said that Americans were in demand by foreign firms. I merely pointed out countries that have growing IT sectors and are in need of programmers. Whether or not American programers will be hired depends on if they will competitively bid for work.

My brother kept getting undercut by Russians, so he stopped programming for American companies. Now he works on the project management of the off-shoring. In essence, he is the American component providing quality assurance and works to secure Russian programmers that can perform the work. He hires Americans too, but he isn't going to hire them at 3X the rate the Russians will work for.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
What location, exactly, are you referring to?

i get those weird phone calls too, and so does my roomate. they're just resume farming, there is no job.

the state of North Carolina, for instance, will put out a single contract for IT or development work. 35 different indian outsourcing firms will suddenly have "Job Openings" in Raleigh, "Now seeking resumes."
I'm not talking about that.
I uploaded my CV to some major job sites (not scam places) and I keep receiving calls/emails for "related" positions, in my city.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'm not making anything up. If you recall I never said that Americans were in demand by foreign firms. I merely pointed out countries that have growing IT sectors and are in need of programmers. Whether or not American programers will be hired depends on if they will competitively bid for work.

My brother kept getting undercut by Russians, so he stopped programming for American companies. Now he works on the project management of the off-shoring. In essence, he is the American component providing quality assurance and works to secure Russian programmers that can perform the work. He hires Americans too, but he isn't going to hire them at 3X the rate the Russians will work for.
The average salary for entry level programmers is already like 60k in most places.
Microsoft, Apple, Google etc. often offer $100k to fresh graduates.
I do not think the salary should be higher.

Physicists, mathematicians, chemists etc. make much less.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh really? What are they still doing sitting on their hands? How come they haven't gone where the work is?

A resume showing a period of lack of work does not speak well towards a person holding one of the science or engineering degrees. What that says is "I wasn't willing to seek elsewhere for a job to remian current in my field". "I sat on my azz waiting for a job to come to me".

Those folks you know sitting on their hands are being left behind while others are keeping current in their respective fields.

Immigrants have that in common, they go looking for work until they find it. Even outside their comfort zone. That would be the guy I'd hire before one sitting on his butt playing his PS3 waiting for the phone to ring.
Maybe they can't find work because too many visa workers are stealing their jobs.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Maybe they can't find work because too many visa workers are stealing their jobs.
A company has to pay money to sponsor an H1-B visa.
In fact, many jobs require American citizenship.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So what is this "way of life" you're speaking about?
Things such as equality among women and minorities (okay we aren't there yet but getting closer), and yes I will say it our CHRISTIAN values. I don't want a culture that thinks paying women less is fine and that women can be abused. I don't care if they are other religions besides Christians but I don't want to see things like Christmas outlawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies