Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You sure you aren't talking about the vicious southern Democrats?

After the Civil War, Republicans enacted the 14th Amendment to protect the rights of freed slaves. In 1957, Eisenhower sent the U.S. Army to Little Rock to force Democrat Governor Orval Fabus to desegregate the schools.

All of the racist bigots became Democrats after the Civil War because Lincoln was a Republican. For 100 years, Democrats were the ones who lynched blacks and made laws against blacks. Democrats formed the KKK and established segregation. Democrats fillibustered and defeated Republican anti-lynching bills in 1922 and 1938.

That's why most blacks were Republicans until the Democrats bought their votes with welfare in 1964.

And as we all know by now, the LAST admitted former KKK member in Congress was a Democrat - Robert Byrd, a former KKK Kleagle, a recruiter who persuaded people to join the KKK. He fillibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
No, he just talks as he usually does, often not making much sense. Hes being added to my growing list of Ignored Users because of it. That statement was the last straw as its complete bs.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I do know that conservatives thought Till deserved what he got back then, and they think Martin deserved to be killed by Zimmerman.

Other than that, the cases are quite different.

Exactly.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Certainly the jury disagreed and that is what counts. Nut it really no different then some thinking bush or Obama are war criminals and other thinking both did what is expect form Americans to safe guard them.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
I grew up in the 50's & 60's, but I was lucky enough to escape the Jim Crow and White Council racism - my city had been desegregated since the end of WW2 or at least the early 50's. Oprah knows better than to link Emmett Till and Trayvon Martin - maybe some of the uninformed kids on C-D have no clue, but she does. Martin was a kid who had been kicked out of school for fighting, drugs and whatever - he attacked Zimmerman and was on his way to bashing his head in. An investigation, a Trial, not a shred of evidence to point to anything but self defense while being beaten. To link Till (great crime was to speak to a white woman) and Martin the thug, is to insult the memory of Emmett Till and his influence on the entire Civil Right's movement. They should be ashamed.

I would love for all these "victimhood race-baiters" to be able to go back in time to the 1950's in Mississippi, or almost anywhere in the USA (Jim Crow laws were in every single state) and experience for a week exactly what Racism was.

We could call that a serious Teachable Moment.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I grew up in the 50's & 60's, but I was lucky enough to escape the Jim Crow and White Council racism - my city had been desegregated since the end of WW2 or at least the early 50's. Oprah knows better than to link Emmett Till and Trayvon Martin - maybe some of the uninformed kids on C-D have no clue, but she does. Martin was a kid who had been kicked out of school for fighting, drugs and whatever - he attacked Zimmerman and was on his way to bashing his head in. An investigation, a Trial, not a shred of evidence to point to anything but self defense while being beaten. To link Till (great crime was to speak to a white woman) and Martin the thug, is to insult the memory of Emmett Till and his influence on the entire Civil Right's movement. They should be ashamed.

I would love for all these "victimhood race-baiters" to be able to go back in time to the 1950's in Mississippi, or almost anywhere in the USA (Jim Crow laws were in every single state) and experience for a week exactly what Racism was.

Great post!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Can you or anyone else prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Zimmerman would not have been following Martin if he wasn't black?

Trial or no, no one has ever proven otherwise as far as I am concerned, so, that leaves us with a simple conclusion and basically the very same parallel that Ms Winfrey has drawn.

Y'all can deny that racism to this extreme still exists all day long. Fact is, it does and we as a nation need to be reminded of it regularly particularly in the face of so much denial.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
No, he just talks as he usually does, often not making much sense. Hes being added to my growing list of Ignored Users because of it. That statement was the last straw as its complete bs.
Truth is a painful thing.

Take an Advil.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Can you or anyone else prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Zimmerman would not have been following Martin if he wasn't black?

Trial or no, no one has ever proven otherwise as far as I am concerned, so, that leaves us with a simple conclusion and basically the very same parallel that Ms Winfrey has drawn.

Y'all can deny that racism to this extreme still exists all day long. Fact is, it does and we as a nation need to be reminded of it regularly particularly in the face of so much denial.
Yes, it can be proved. Zimmerman was interrogated by law enforcement officer, Serino, who asked him that very question. Zimmerman said it wouldn't have mattered. More than that, Serino testified, on the stand, under oath, that he believed Zimmerman was telling the truth. That means that everything Zimmerman said to Serino was deemed as truthful. Refute that without throwing emotion into it.

I also believe you are confusing racial profiling as opposed to criminal profiling. This subject as been gone over ad nauseam, but the point is that the past break-ins were done by the majority of "black youths", hence, Zimmerman was doing criminal profiling. Same thing law enforcement uses. Same thing only a sane person uses. If Oompa-Loompas were involved in the majority of the breaks-ins in my neighborhood, I wouldn't be looking for young black men, I would be looking for Oompa-Loompas. It's a no-brainer.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 08-07-2013 at 02:02 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Those Southern Democrats flocked to the Republican Party...and they did so over integration.

You know it, and so do i.

So again, it's like i said...Conservatives at the time thought the Till murder was justified, and they think the killing of Martin was justified.

That's where the similarities end. The cases can't be compared otherwise.

BTW genius...black people left the Republican Party long before 1964. When Roosevelt bought white votes with welfare back in the 30's, black folks tagged along.
Another Democrat.

Why Did FDR’s New Deal Harm Blacks?

If FDR’s New Deal policies weren’t conceived with racist intent, they certainly had racist consequences.
Why Did FDR's New Deal Harm Blacks? | Cato Institute

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Beck? The guy who is constantly comparing a Centrist President to Nazis? The guy who "called out" Obama for having a deep seeded hatred for White culture? The guy who described Obama's motivations as an attempt to collect reparations? That's the guy that some of you are backing in a discussion about inappropriate commentaries on race? G.T.F.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies