Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times

Advertisements

Here is a fun read and thought-provoking -

■If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.

■If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.

Check out the rest...it's a quick read. Channeling Jeff Foxworthy In A Country Founded By Geniuses And Run By Idiots | Politically True

Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
did jeff ever shave that ferret off his face?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
This is fun.
  • If you have to recieve an invasive probing in order to obtain a SCOTUS allowed medical procedure, you might live in a country founded by geniuses but a state run by idiots.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
illegal aliens are still arrested.

Quote:
If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
the argument is comparative in nature, but not on an ever platform as they dont perform abortions at school. And you dont need your parents permission to take over the counter drugs outside of school.

Quote:
If the only school curriculum allowed to explain how we got here is evolution, but your government stops a $15 million construction project to keep a rare spider from evolving to extinction … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
read this one twice. at first he it seems he is saying it is stupid to stop construction for a spider(i would agree), but reading it again, it looks like he is making a philosophical/intelligent design/destiny argument. It makes no sense though. I may be over thinking it.

Quote:
If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book, but not to vote for who runs your government … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
Nothing on this list is a fundamental right, voting on the other hand IS.

Also, the premise of this argument kind of destroys this one on it's own. Those Geniuses didnt have photo ID now did they ?

further more, the argument has never been that you shouldnt be able to prove who you are, but that these laws cost money because every town doesnt have a DMV and all states dont give them to residents free. It can cost a couple of hundred dollars to get an ID.

Quote:
If your government believes that using steroids or other drugs will ruin your life, but throwing you in prison for years will not … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
I agree.

Quote:
If your government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
banning sales is not the same as banning ownership.

Quote:
If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
It is illegal to buy or sell sex toys in Alabama(I dont think anyone really follows the law, but it is still on the books).

actually , a couple of websites did storied on "weird food and drink laws" back when all of this first happened. Just saying.

Quote:
If an 80-year-old woman can be strip-searched by the TSA but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
calling all Muslims terrorist speak for itself.

Quote:
If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
this argument never makes sense. If you are in debt and you have to pay your light bill, do you not pay it ?

Quote:
If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
we all agree it is stupid to suspend the kid, but it is also stupid to compare it to that class. I didnt see much on it when i googled it, but it seems the class was going to be taught for 6 to 8th grade. The majority of those kids have already started puberty. And i hope the diversity part isnt the one that was controversial.

Quote:
If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are left in filth and drug infested “homes”… you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
He is obviously pointing to a specific event(im assuming) but by in large, those children are taken as well. He is arguing the exception rather than the rule here.

Quote:
If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
this is just right wing opinion at its finest. Rich people pay a smaller percentage in taxes than most people. the average tax rate of someone making 50,000 is like 28%, but for someone making 5 million, it is 21%.

And none of the rest of that stuff is rewards, those people live in horrible conditions.

Quote:
If your government’s plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working with 99 weeks of Unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
He is just dead wrong on this one. In a couple of these he is just arguing for no social safety net at all.

Quote:
If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big screen TV while your neighbor buys iPhones, TVs and new cars, and your government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
again, he is quoting a specific event, but i have no clue.

Quote:
if your government believes that the way to make a school of unarmed children safe is to pass another law, this time with the illusion that three 10-round magazines in a rifle is safer than a 30-round magazine … you might live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.
the above is purely his opinion.

when the morons reload, that is usually when they get taken down.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
illegal aliens are still arrested.

the argument is comparative in nature, but not on an ever platform as they dont perform abortions at school. And you dont need your parents permission to take over the counter drugs outside of school.

read this one twice. at first he it seems he is saying it is stupid to stop construction for a spider(i would agree), but reading it again, it looks like he is making a philosophical/intelligent design/destiny argument. It makes no sense though. I may be over thinking it.

Nothing on this list is a fundamental right, voting on the other hand IS.

Also, the premise of this argument kind of destroys this one on it's own. Those Geniuses didnt have photo ID now did they ?

further more, the argument has never been that you shouldnt be able to prove who you are, but that these laws cost money because every town doesnt have a DMV and all states dont give them to residents free. It can cost a couple of hundred dollars to get an ID.

I agree.

banning sales is not the same as banning ownership.

It is illegal to buy or sell sex toys in Alabama(I dont think anyone really follows the law, but it is still on the books).

actually , a couple of websites did storied on "weird food and drink laws" back when all of this first happened. Just saying.

calling all Muslims terrorist speak for itself.

this argument never makes sense. If you are in debt and you have to pay your light bill, do you not pay it ?

we all agree it is stupid to suspend the kid, but it is also stupid to compare it to that class. I didnt see much on it when i googled it, but it seems the class was going to be taught for 6 to 8th grade. The majority of those kids have already started puberty. And i hope the diversity part isnt the one that was controversial.

He is obviously pointing to a specific event(im assuming) but by in large, those children are taken as well. He is arguing the exception rather than the rule here.

this is just right wing opinion at its finest. Rich people pay a smaller percentage in taxes than most people. the average tax rate of someone making 50,000 is like 28%, but for someone making 5 million, it is 21%.

And none of the rest of that stuff is rewards, those people live in horrible conditions.

He is just dead wrong on this one. In a couple of these he is just arguing for no social safety net at all.

again, he is quoting a specific event, but i have no clue.

the above is purely his opinion.

when the morons reload, that is usually when they get taken down.

The fact that the country is being ran by idiots went completely over your head.

Thanks for playing

Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Thanks for the link. Much truth within...

Here's another:

If stealing $150 is a misdemeanor , subject to a slap on the wrist, but killing the person who stole it from you is Ok, you live in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.

Next....

Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The fact that the country is being ran by idiots went completely over your head.

Thanks for playing
Lol!!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Thanks for playing
I would say it's mostly just right wing talking points put in a "comical" way. a lot of it doesn't ring true to me.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
If the nation was founded by geniuses, why did so many of them own slaves and not bother to give women the right to vote or hold public office?

If the country is run by idiots then I guess it was idiotic to free those slaves and grant equality to females.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
If the nation was founded by geniuses, why did so many of them own slaves and not bother to give women the right to vote or hold public office?

If the country is run by idiots then I guess it was idiotic to free those slaves and grant equality to females.
Looks like someone has confused morality with intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies