Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

Yesterday while jogging on the treadmill I saw an ad on one of the cable news stations from USPS. Unfortunately I can't find a link to the ad, but it basically repeated this lie from the USPS web site:
Postal Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPS
The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations. We are required by law to cover our costs..
The truth is that USPS does effectively receive many subsidies, just via the back door:
(from Mail @ the Millennium a Cato publication).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato
Hidden Government Subsidies

...the Postal Service receives a pass on many government taxes and regulations that private-sector firms must pay and observe. The Postal Service pays no federal income tax, no state or local income tax, no state or local sales or gross recepts tax, no property tax on buildings and equipment it owns, no motor vehicle licensing and registration fees, and no parking tickts.
Liberals routinely acknowledge that tax breaks are equivalent to tax subsidies, when they refer to them as "giveaways."

UPS and FeEx pay hundreds of millions in parking tickets each year.
Parking fines a big cost for delivery firms - Business - US business | NBC News

USPS pays zero. If an enterprise gets special legislation to exempt it from costs that apply to every other enterprise, it is dollars in their pocket. Taxpayer dollars, effectively. In the words of Rep. Joe Wilson, 'you lie' USPS.

And this is why I am so adamantly opposed to the idea of government advertising. Once DC is fully melded with Madison Avenue, we will have lost the republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Okay. And?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yesterday while jogging on the treadmill I saw an ad on one of the cable news stations from USPS. Unfortunately I can't find a link to the ad, but it basically repeated this lie from the USPS web site:
Postal Facts

The truth is that USPS does effectively receive many subsidies, just via the back door:
(from Mail @ the Millennium a Cato publication).

Liberals routinely acknowledge that tax breaks are equivalent to tax subsidies, when they refer to them as "giveaways."

UPS and FeEx pay hundreds of millions in parking tickets each year.
Parking fines a big cost for delivery firms - Business - US business | NBC News

USPS pays zero. If an enterprise gets special legislation to exempt it from costs that apply to every other enterprise, it is dollars in their pocket. Taxpayer dollars, effectively. In the words of Rep. Joe Wilson, 'you lie' USPS.

And this is why I am so adamantly opposed to the idea of government advertising. Once DC is fully melded with Madison Avenue, we will have lost the republic.
Many large corporations don't pay tax and actually get tax refunds. Where's the outrage about that?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Many large corporations don't pay tax and actually get tax refunds. Where's the outrage about that?
People simply love big corporations a heck of a lot more than big government.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Okay. And?
I agree. Outrage over nothing. USPS is a government agency, and it should remain as such as per constitutional requirements of the federal government to establishes post offices and post roads (which slowly became our modern highways and main thoroughfares through towns and cities). But, I guess the constitutional USPS is one of the several parts that anarcho-capitalists hate about the Constitution that they love so much

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
People simply love big corporations a heck of a lot more than big government.
I don't love or hate big corporations, I just don't think they should get tax refunds if they are already not paying taxes.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You ask where? Glad you asked. The outrage has been largely from the right.

Facebook paid nearly no taxes

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, lefties just love the fact that corporations are making out like bandits.

But anyway, I would be fine with not taxing businesses as long as they don't get tax refunds on top of not paying taxes. It would be a better deal for taxpayers.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Yes lefties have been rock solid in support of corporate welfare, while righties have been rock solid against. As long as we can agree that Barack Obama is representative of the left, and that Sarah Palin is representative of the right.

Obama Doubles Down on Corporate Welfare | Citizens Against Government Waste

Palin’s Attack on ‘Corporate Crony Capitalism’ Spotlights Gap in GOP Field - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

Facebook paid very little in taxes because the tax obligations were moved to the stock recipiants during the stock transfer. That doesn't mean taxes weren't paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies