Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How are welfare programs going to destroy the U.S. dollar? That makes no sense.
I said it may be one method (of getting more and more US dollars backed by nothing into the economy, which IMO may lead to the destruction of it). Don't get me wrong-there is tremendous waste elsewhere like corporate welfare and war and I'm very pro assistance programs for the poor but you can't deny that the way some programs are growing is not sustainable. It's all tied together though and I am certainly not advocating reducing benefits for the poor when banksters and Corporate giants receive far more in welfare.

And not all welfare programs-the ones that are bureaucratic in nature and growing uncontrollably like SNAP, Phones and energy assistance programs. I used to work for an energy assistance program and the meme was that the Federal money must always be used, even if it is not needed, for fear of getting less money the following year.

But again my advice was for everyone to apply-there are currently Millions of Americans that are eligible for benefits yet not receiving any.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-08-2013 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
so tired of this blame the poor bs. yeah, sure, they're the ones who destroyed the economy with their glamorous public housing and lees than $1000 income per month. they're the biggest threat to the middle class. powerless, uneducated, poor people are the root of our problems. meanwhile, the banksters, the corporations who take our tax dollars and give nothing back, those public sector job destroying, anti working poor politicians are American heroes.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I said it may be one method (of getting more and more US dollars backed by nothing into the economy, which IMO may lead to the destruction of it).
By this logic, you'd want to shut down the mortgage finance system first and foremost.

If you're worried about the dollar, then you're piddling around the margins by worrying about welfare.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
By this logic, you'd want to shut down the mortgage finance system first and foremost.

If you're worried about the dollar, then you're piddling around the margins by worrying about welfare.
I'd go further and shut down the Federal Reserve and their "too big to fail" banks and create a national currency that is not indebted to an International and Private banking cartel. All of our problems stem from this inherently corrupt system and it's been this way since 1913.

And again, I am most definitely not anti-welfare for the poor-in fact it's my job. Just trying to explain all sides of the story. I agree that people who complain about welfare spending on American citizens while remaining silent on Corporate welfare/war contracts are completely clueless and just repeating something from a talking head on corporate media.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-08-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Better fix.

Get local space in every area, staff with people getting food stamps, buy fresh fruits, vegetables, some meats, and canned goods, all nutritious foods. (Along with tooth brushes/toothpaste, basic sanitary needs, etc). If you want food stamps, you must work, based on needs. To feed a family of 4, you must work 2 full 8 hour shifts a week, stocking, ringing up the foods, cleaning, whatever jobs would be necessary to keep the place, clean, and the food stocked. Money earned by working at these places translates to food purchased. Every hour of work, allows for 9$ worth of food to be "purchased".

That way we know where the money is, and any fresh fruits or vegetables, 2 days away from not being good, should be donated to local soup kitchens, or other places that feed the homeless so they can be put to good use before going bad.

No work, no eat, all nutritious foods, food can be bought in bulk getting lower prices paid for them, no mark ups necessary to make money.
so rwnj are ok with the decimation of public sector jobs, but you want people to work for the government for food stamps. disturbing. seems to me all these "ideas" that come from the right are about punishing people for being poor.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
so tired of this blame the poor bs. yeah, sure, they're the ones who destroyed the economy with their glamorous public housing and lees than $1000 income per month. they're the biggest threat to the middle class. powerless, uneducated, poor people are the root of our problems. meanwhile, the banksters, the corporations who take our tax dollars and give nothing back, those public sector job destroying, anti working poor politicians are American heroes.
Precisely. The OP's narrative (and the Washington Times) is that the money spent on the poor -- and possible fraud, is the big problem. As if the massive fraud perpetrated by B of A, Citibank, AIG and Lehman, which brought down the economy isn't the problem.

Put the schnook who sold a few bucks worth of food stamps in jail and leave the bankers who stole billions alone.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
It's a money laundering scheme.

Americans spend $80 billion each year financing food stamps for the poor, but the country has no idea where or how the money is spent.
Food stamps can be spent on goods ranging from candy to steak and are accepted at retailers from gas stations that primarily sell potato chips to fried-chicken restaurants. And as the amount spent on food stamps has more than doubled in recent years, the amount of food stamps laundered into cash has increased dramatically, government statistics show.

Top secret: $80B a year for food stamps, but feds won't reveal what's purchased - Washington Times
I don't give a rats hairy behind what kind of food food stamp recipients buy. I'm really not concerned that they sell their food money for cash to buy cigarettes or beer or whatever else they buy with it. If they qualify for benefits they qualify for benefits. Stop the fraud at the administrative level. Employees should be able to administer due diligence to verify income and other qualifying information.

Someone mentioned government cheese. I worked for a give a way program years ago and one of the things we did was distribute gov. surplus. I took many applications for assistance for multiple programs and at the state level we were NOT allowed to investigate or verify income or circumstances further if we suspected fraud. I was contacted multiple times by the state reps office about denying applicants and even coerced into giving assistance to people who did not financially qualify.

We need to clean up the administration and we need to be more concerned about providing jobs that pay a livable wage. Many folks I know on FS are working and still qualify.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM

531 posts, read 501,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
You have posted no links to the USDA in this thread thus far.
What is SNAP Fraud
http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Pub...006Summary.pdf
http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Pub...icking2006.pdf

Trafficking rate for SNAP is about 1%, or 1 cent on the dollar.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM

531 posts, read 501,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Rep Sessions asked the CRS to go through the last budget (2011) and add up the cost of all the means tested government welfare programs. The means tested programs are not in a single category like medicare or SS or defense so the total in spending is never put out there as s single figure.

But now it is. And growing at 20% annually.
Should scare the pants off anyone as this is bigger than medicare spending or SS spending or Defense spending.

This report was published last October. Now you tell me why it didn't make headline news in the MSM ?

Total Welfare Spending Now at $1 Trillion | National Review Online

Here is the CRS report (PDF):
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...aw54XM_bIZYO-g
First of all, that's not a CRS report. That's a bulletin from the minority of the Senate Budget Committee, for which Sessions is ranking member (ranking member is like the chair for the minority).

Second of all, the list of all the programs that were tallied goes far beyond "welfare." For example, it includes Pell Grants, and many other programs that are not traditionally considered welfare. As such, it is misleading to claim that $1T is spent on "means tested welfare programs." Most people think of welfare as TANF, Section 8, SNAP and the like.

Thirdly, the $1T figure includes state contributions. The federal share is about $746 billion.

But I have no doubt at all that you will continue to post these distortions at ever chance you get, as you have been doing for quite some time now.

Last edited by John Dark; 08-08-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 03:24 PM

109 posts, read 168,122 times
I don't care what they buy either but it gets me while I can't afford meat and my friend is buying steak ems with her card lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies