Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times

Advertisements

I wonder about some of you! You and I pay taxes but somehow you feel the need to regulate what "Poor people "eat!
Let's see! I pay taxes to support the Military too! Should I be involved with what they eat? I thought freedom of choice was a American ideal but somehow just because somebody is on "food stamps" they now need to be 'socially engineered" on to what diet they should have and what foods they can eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
33% of Americans are receiving food stamps.
More people get food stamps than work full time.

You have 97 million full time workers.
You have 101 million food stamp recipients.
Those numbers get me every time I read them.
Utterly pathetic.
Who denies the welfare state?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Those numbers get me every time I read them.
Utterly pathetic.
Who denies the welfare state?
I don't debate. I just show the numbers and let them speak for themselves.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
33% of Americans are receiving food stamps.
More people get food stamps than work full time.

You have 97 million full time workers.
You have 101 million food stamp recipients.

Pretty gosh dang amazing this figure, but so sad at the same time. Unbeleivable the number of people in a great Country as ours, on food stamps.

What ever happened to that promise in 2008 that Obama would bring jobs to most people and put more people to work. I don't recall this happening at all, and still right now people are out of work, or full time employers hours have been reduced to part-time.

I won't dispute your number of food stamp recipients, but this is totally screwed up.

How many would much rather work, then be receiving food stamps.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I wonder about some of you! You and I pay taxes but somehow you feel the need to regulate what "Poor people "eat!
Let's see! I pay taxes to support the Military too! Should I be involved with what they eat? I thought freedom of choice was a American ideal but somehow just because somebody is on "food stamps" they now need to be 'socially engineered" on to what diet they should have and what foods they can eat?
I control what my children eat, why not these overgrown children as well? Did they not make the choice to go on the dole? To ask strangers to support them, to reap the fruit of their countrymen's labor? It should have been obvious that doing so forfeits some level of control over their life.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM

531 posts, read 501,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Pretty gosh dang amazing this figure, but so sad at the same time. Unbeleivable the number of people in a great Country as ours, on food stamps.
I know, wild right? It would be even more crazy if it was true.

SNAP Monthly Data

The correct figure is 47 million, which is still significant.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM

531 posts, read 501,343 times
Here's an interesting tool: look up enrollment numbers and demographics by Congressional District.

SNAP Community Characteristics

For example, in my Congressional District, 51% of households receiving SNAP benefits have children under 18. 19% have at least one 60+ year old (may overlap with the 51%). 88% are white. 8% are black. 2.7% are Hispanic. And 75.2% families receiving SNAP had at least one worker in the previous 12 months. 29% had two workers.

Last edited by John Dark; 08-13-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
I know, wild right? It would be even more crazy if it was true.

SNAP Monthly Data

The correct figure is 47 million, which is still significant.
You are right. My 101 million recipients number was the USDA figure for all of the 15 food programs the government runs.

It was the USDA report on overlap and duplication in the food programs that came out in June 2013.
Most people are just familiar with SNAP and WIC and school lunches but there are 15 different food programs and the report found a lot of duplication and overlap.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sounds like a plan, but I bet you that folks can show that it'll be much more expensive than SNAP is today, because SNAP, as it is today, capitalizes on the efficiency of dumping the responsibility for the "local space in every area" and dumping the responsibility for administering "work, based on needs" in the manner you've outlined. Money-grubbing RWNJs will object to spending more money to "do it right" and between your excellent idea and the status quo would choose the status quo because it would cost them less - their ability to buy a third HDTV for their home, or fitting in that extra trip to Florida being more important than humane consideration of those structurally impeded from getting ahead economically in our nation.
Because only RWNJs buy TVs and take trips to Florida. Posts like yours make me question you age.

If I want another TV, that is taking nothing from you. Someone's poverty wasn't caused by my spending habits. People do benefit when we buy TVs and spend money on vacations... that creates jobs. We can't all stop living because someone, through their own free will, screwed up. I understand that people sometimes make bad choices... I made plenty. Hard work helped me out. I want the poor to have opportunity to get out of poverty, not make it a lifestyle.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to still have jobs, (after the failed policies of the federal government damaged the economy) are a very generous bunch... but before you come with your hand out asking for more, let's stop government from wasting so much.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I would like to see more time and effort spent on stopping abuse and less on marketing food stamps to those who seem to be finding ways to live without them. I don't get the mentality of "if you qualify we need to find you and give them to you". Not everyone who is poor needs food stamps. I suspect the back end is making money and the more food stamps given out the more money gets made. Knowing that, there is no incentive for anyone to stop abuse because, in the end, the more abuse the more money gets made too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies