Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My problem with pipeline is that we arent using the refineries to full capacity now, and itll only add about 3000 permanent jobs.

I dont mind the oil, or the environmental impact of building it, but the jobs that come with it are low.

oil companies have said they will build new refineries and add 80000 jobs with this pipeline. Since they havent built a refinery since the 70s, im not holding my breath
there is no such thing as a "permanent job." it will add hundreds and thousands of jobs during the construction phase. some jobs may last 1 year, or 5 years, or 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
My problem with pipeline is that we arent using the refineries to full capacity now, and itll only add about 3000 permanent jobs.

I dont mind the oil, or the environmental impact of building it, but the jobs that come with it are low.

oil companies have said they will build new refineries and add 80000 jobs with this pipeline. Since they havent built a refinery since the 70s, im not holding my breath
Refineries are running at 90% utilization right now and haven't been below 75% in over 30 years. Where did you hear otherwise? I agree they should build more refineries.

U.S. Percent Utilization of Refinery Operable Capacity (Percent)

Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Refineries are running at 90% utilization right now and haven't been below 75% in over 30 years. Where did you hear otherwise? I agree they should build more refineries.

The notion that we have not added refineries is more one of semantics than reality. Gulf coast refineries have been expanded significantly and Valero among others is adding a very large amount of capacity to produce diesel For export though as demand in the US is falling.

Here is one link, but there are dozens relating to growing refinery capacity along the Gulf Coast:

Refineries expanded, but not constructed - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

Wasnt talking about capacity but there have been no new refineries built since the 70s.

Big oil is saying they will build more after this pipeline is built. I'm not buying it.

never believe stories about faeries, sermons, or stories about money

Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
This is just a scam to keep the outdated and dangerous refineries in Texas making more money at great risk and cost to the rest of us. This is a bad deal that should not happen.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Some people are so stupid, over 80% of Americans want it built, so build it! Canada has already said that if we don't approve the pipeline, they are in negotiations with China to give the oil to them. This is why China is on the rise, they don't sit around waiting for something to happen, they see the opportunity and they take it. That was what America was like at one time
Canada is giving away oil now ?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:

Why should the # of jobs, permanent or otherwise be of a concern to anyone? It's not like tax dollars were going to pay for this. The pipeline was a private project, paid for and developed by a private company. The only reason this was even in DC's hands was because it crossed an international border. Once again.... lack of reasoning and knowledge about the actual process....

Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Why should the # of jobs, permanent or otherwise be of a concern to anyone? It's not like tax dollars were going to pay for this. The pipeline was a private project, paid for and developed by a private company. The only reason this was even in DC's hands was because it crossed an international border. Once again.... lack of reasoning and knowledge about the actual process....
Because tax dollars are going to pay for part of it, because they are going to cross public lands.

And there are tax breaks they are getting because of this.

So yeah, I want more bang for my buck

Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Some people are so stupid, over 80% of Americans want it built, so build it! Canada has already said that if we don't approve the pipeline, they are in negotiations with China to give the oil to them. This is why China is on the rise, they don't sit around waiting for something to happen, they see the opportunity and they take it. That was what America was like at one time
So you want to pay more for gas? OK, you got it.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Because tax dollars are going to pay for part of it, because they are going to cross public lands.

And there are tax breaks they are getting because of this.

So yeah, I want more bang for my buck
Sorry Dude... wrong... Trans-Canada will have to PAY to cross any public land when they acquire the ROW easement just like when they go across private property...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies