Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
That's retarded. Oh wait--or is retarded un-PC?
the term "retarded" is considered offensive. The new term is "Developly disabled".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:04 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
the term "retarded" is considered offensive. The new term is "Developly disabled".
Oh, the term is perfectly acceptable in a few psychology circles. It's out of vogue in education, but some old-school shrinks still use the term.

Either way, as a slang term it's a little lacking. I don't think SmerkyGirl was referring to anyone with a physical or mental disability.

Who cares, right? See, I don't think anyone shouldn't have the RIGHT to say "retarded", but, as someone with a family member who has Down's Syndrome, I do wish people would get more creative with their language and let the term die as slang. Just as a matter of taste.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Basically, all folks have to be is a little observant of other folks. Is that so hard? One thing I have found in life is that people have a right to determine what name they want to go by. All one has to do is ask. That doesn't seem too hard.

I really am tired of people moaning about political correctness. Some basic manners is not too much to ask. "Illiegal immigrant"? That's like saying "illegitimate child". How can a person's existence be illegal? Who passed a law against it?

All that is necessary is a little sensitivity. Plus, you get to not sound like a hayseed.
they are terms that describe the situation. if you don't like it, don't say it, but that does not mean that they are not real terms. illegal immigrant means that they have immigrated to this country illegally, as opposed to legally. i guess hayseeds have to explain everything. sheesh!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
they are terms that describe the situation. if you don't like it, don't say it, but that does not mean that they are not real terms. illegal immigrant means that they have immigrated to this country illegally, as opposed to legally. i guess hayseeds have to explain everything. sheesh!

Something that I have always thought of about anchor babies, If 2 people who do not exist in the eyes of the law produce a child, doesnt that child also not exist?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Something that I have always thought of about anchor babies, If 2 people who do not exist in the eyes of the law produce a child, doesnt that child also not exist?

And if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?
You mean if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is present to hear it does it make a noise? What about the animals in the woods, they would hear it. So yes, the tree makes a noise.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You mean if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is present to hear it does it make a noise? What about the animals in the woods, they would hear it. So yes, the tree makes a noise.
But how do you know the animals hear it?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
To answer your question: No. The first sentence of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution states:

Quote:
All persons born [emphasis added] or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
Therefore, anyone born in the US, regardless of the legal status of their parents, are automatically US citizens and citizens of the state where they were born. Currently there is a proposed amendment pending in Congress that would alter that sentence in the 14th Amendment so that at least one parent must be a US citizen (born or naturalized) or a legal resident in the US before their offspring can be considered a US citizen. However, I do not anticipate that the amendment will ever reach the floor for a vote, much less get the two-thirds of the votes required before it goes to the state legislatures for ratification.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
To answer your question: No. The first sentence of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution states:

Therefore, anyone born in the US, regardless of the legal status of their parents, are automatically US citizens and citizens of the state where they were born. Currently there is a proposed amendment pending in Congress that would alter that sentence in the 14th Amendment so that at least one parent must be a US citizen (born or naturalized) or a legal resident in the US before their offspring can be considered a US citizen. However, I do not anticipate that the amendment will ever reach the floor for a vote, much less get the two-thirds of the votes required before it goes to the state legislatures for ratification.
Im sure a lawyer could find a loophole in that particular amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies