Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:38 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,746,934 times

Advertisements

Big pharma does not want it legalized, they would make no money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,915,420 times
It would still be cheaper to buy from the black market dealer than the heavily taxed alternative.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:50 AM

28,889 posts, read 30,226,443 times
I don't smoke pot....however, when I was young, I tried it...I don't believe it should be legalized, b/c it was just like being drunk...and way to many people shouldn't drive while under the influence of pot.

Now, as far as using it for medical purposes, I don't have a problem with that....

Sounds to me like the doctor, had a change of heart...he flip flopped, maybe b/c he was heavily influenced by drug companies, etc?

Maybe he flip flopped on purpose, who knows, but regardless, that doesn't make him any less credible then those who disagree with him....

Right away, if someone doesn't agree with someone else, they are the most horrible person in the universe???? Why is that? Why can't people simply recognize, that we all don't think and feel alike on subjects, and that's that?

But to discredit him b/c he now makes a public statement that he has rethought med weed?
Do you honestly realize, how stupid it sounds, I mean, REALLY, he is free to have any opinion he wants, as I am as well, and so are you, but just because we disagree, doesn't mean that discredits you or me as a human being? Why take it so far out of the realm of common sense?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,693,121 times
The most interesting part of that article for me was how marijuana was classified as a schedule I substance simply because they didn't know anything about it. And I'm guessing that changing its classification to a lower level is very difficult.

From DEA / Drug Scheduling :

Quote:
Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote
Maybe I'm ignorant. I don't smoke weed, but it don't see how it fits that definition.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,203,552 times
pot is just a gateway drug
nothing more

Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 AM

11,144 posts, read 10,694,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
nothing more
Thousands of people who smoke marijuana on a regular basis and have never even tried anything harder disagree with you.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,915,799 times
Quote:
nothing more
Which makes alcohol what exactly? Considering it is far more harmful and addictive than cannabis.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't smoke pot....however, when I was young, I tried it...I don't believe it should be legalized, b/c it was just like being drunk...and way to many people shouldn't drive while under the influence of pot.

Now, as far as using it for medical purposes, I don't have a problem with that....

Sounds to me like the doctor, had a change of heart...he flip flopped, maybe b/c he was heavily influenced by drug companies, etc?

Maybe he flip flopped on purpose, who knows, but regardless, that doesn't make him any less credible then those who disagree with him....

Right away, if someone doesn't agree with someone else, they are the most horrible person in the universe???? Why is that? Why can't people simply recognize, that we all don't think and feel alike on subjects, and that's that?

But to discredit him b/c he now makes a public statement that he has rethought med weed?
Do you honestly realize, how stupid it sounds, I mean, REALLY, he is free to have any opinion he wants, as I am as well, and so are you, but just because we disagree, doesn't mean that discredits you or me as a human being? Why take it so far out of the realm of common sense?
Crem... I usually agree with you on a lot of things. This isn't one of them. I think prohibition of cannabis needs to be repealed immediately! The government has no business telling people what they can and cannot consume. I do agree with you that one shouldn't drive while stoned, just as one shouldn't drive while drunk. Furthermore, we have people driving around hopped up on legal pain pills, which IMO is much worse. At any rate prohibition of cannabis was based on nothing but lies and propaganda!!! And history has shown us that prohibition does not work.

Quote:
nothing more
Really? That's news to me, because I've never had the desire to experiment with anything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Thousands of people who smoke marijuana on a regular basis and have never even tried anything harder disagree with you.
Yep. I'm one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Which makes alcohol what exactly? Considering it is far more harmful and addictive than cannabis.
Alcohol is definitely worse for the body, than cannabis.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,497,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Dr. Sanjay Gupta has changed his mind on medical marijuana and apologizes for misleading people in the past.

He wrote this interesting article and has also done a documentary on the subject.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed - CNN.com
I wouldn't know Gupta if he said hello on the street. But if his opinion can influence a few people to support medical marijuana, good for his change of mind. Better late than never to hold the correct opinion.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM

28,889 posts, read 30,226,443 times
Quote:
no1brownsfan Crem... I usually agree with you on a lot of things. This isn't one of them. I think prohibition of cannabis needs to be repealed immediately! The government has no business telling people what they can and cannot consume. I do agree with you that one shouldn't drive while stoned, just as one shouldn't drive while drunk. Furthermore, we have people driving around hopped up on legal pain pills,
which IMO is much worse. At any rate prohibition of cannabis was based on nothing but lies and propaganda!!! And history has shown us that prohibition does not work.
That's ok if you disagree, I still love ya Listen, I don't know if I'm right or wrong, it is just how I feel...b/c I do agree with you, about the government shouldn't tell you what you can or cannot do, however, then where does one draw the line, some can and will, but a lot of people won't. And as you know, people WILL drive while under the influence and do take pain pills and drive.
I don't know, don't know what the answer is, maybe if people were more law abiding? But I see how people disobey just the speeding laws...so, what is the answer, I mean, you have good points, but there are also other issues to consider, yanno?

Quote:
Really? That's news to me, because I've never had the desire to experiment with anything else!
This response to that person is merrited, b/c that person made a generalized statement, you cannot predict what people will do, as I said, some will draw the line, others won't and some won't even smoke it if it's legal...I don't really drink, except on the holidays, I might have a glass of wine or one mixed drink, but I've always feared drinking and driving. Besides my grand father was a drinker, and I used to be afraid of him as a child...so, maybe that left a mark? dunno...

Quote:
Alcohol is definitely worse for the body, than cannabis.
again, a statement completely unpredictable and subjective, depends on the person...and how much they are drinking or smoking, don't you think? Just saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies