Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Are you kidding me? His methods can get any child to shut up and lay down, quiet as a mouse...now if parents could only find the right spot on the neck to pinch...

Spock pwns a punk - YouTube
Not all parents can be Vulcans.

That would be illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,309 times
I think its a great idea, and I'm a parent. On the occasions my wife and I get a night out away from our child, it would be nice to know there's a place we could go and be away from other people's children too.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I'm not gonna lament the passing of physical abuse as a means of discipline. Nuh-uh. All that does is make future abusers out of the children.
I wasn't lamenting it. When I grew up that was acceptable that you got hit by your parents as punishment. Maybe in some families it turned into abuse or was abuse from the get go.
But one hit of a strap during your entire childhood ..nah I wouldn't label that abuse. That was showing you where that line in the sand was drawn and it was up to you to never cross it. Your warning came when you got dangerously near that line. That's how it was used by my mother and father. None of us ever got hit more than once in our childhood by "the belt" and it was only one whack of that belt.

I just compare then to now where there is less and less discipline of kids.
And now we have increasing problems with regards to kids behaving wildly.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wasn't lamenting it. When I grew up that was acceptable that you got hit by your parents as punishment. Maybe in some families it turned into abuse or was abuse from the get go.
But one hit of a strap during your entire childhood ..nah I wouldn't label that abuse. That was showing you where that line in the sand was drawn and it was up to you to never cross it. Your warning came when you got dangerously near that line. That's how it was used by my mother and father. None of us ever got hit more than once in our childhood by "the belt" and it was only one whack of that belt.

It wasn't uncommon for a neighbor who saw a kid misbehaving to grab the kid by the arm and drag him to his parents or call the parents to report his actions.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Yeah I know. Gosh this thread brings up memories.
I've been told by total strangers that I was abusing my kid and that was a good 15+ years ago.
I'm a boomber so boomers were doing it do but now it's the boomer kids who are even more lax than the boomers were at parenting.

And to think..I grew up with "Wait til your father gets home". That put an end to any and all actions.
That meant...dum, dum, dum...."the belt".
My mother had that phrase down pat and knew exactly when to say it.

Wow this does bring up very good memories though. My mom, use to say the same darn thing, "You wait until your father gets home" we knew what that meant.

Oohhhhhhhhhhh when he was mad, and we caused it, oh boy, we knew. Things may be so advanced here in 2013. But what i would give to go back and experience just one day, what childhood was like back when.

And when he was speaking in italian, we were in trobule, boy were we in trouble.

Kids i knew did get discipline, some with the belt, some with the hand, they were not being abusivie this was how they discipline back then. And you know what every one of those kids i knew who was discipline by belt or by hand, has grown up to be a positive to society. And their way of teaching is without a belt or the hand, because today your not allowed to discipline in this way.

And we have learned as time flys by, that you can discipline a child without a slap or a belt. But let me tell ya there are a lot of out control children out there also, who i feel need discipline badly and they are not getting it at all. Don't u blame the parents for a lot of these children who act out.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It wasn't uncommon for a neighbor who saw a kid misbehaving to grab the kid by the arm and drag him to his parents or call the parents to report his actions.
yep, many of us had a drug problem when we were growing up, we got drug to the store, to church, to school, to family outings, etc.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
My mom hit me when I was younger. Either with a wooden spoon or with her hand. LOL, it wasn't like daily abuse but yeah, I got spanked or slapped. I turned out fine.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Something like that happens today and that neighbor would be arrested.
That's how much society has "evolved".

Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
The thing is, you're making broad claims that aren't provable. How do you know there's "less discipline?" Just because of your own availability bias?

What "increasing problems?" The number of children born in the US has declined each year since 2007. What kids are "behaving wildly?" Kids have always behaved wildly.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Wow this does bring up very good memories though. My mom, use to say the same darn thing, "You wait until your father gets home" we knew what that meant.

Oohhhhhhhhhhh when he was mad, and we caused it, oh boy, we knew. Things may be so advanced here in 2013. But what i would give to go back and experience just one day, what childhood was like back when.

And when he was speaking in italian, we were in trobule, boy were we in trouble.

Kids i knew did get discipline, some with the belt, some with the hand, they were not being abusivie this was how they discipline back then. And you know what every one of those kids i knew who was discipline by belt or by hand, has grown up to be a positive to society. And their way of teaching is without a belt or the hand, because today your not allowed to discipline in this way.

And we have learned as time flys by, that you can discipline a child without a slap or a belt. But let me tell ya there are a lot of out control children out there also, who i feel need discipline badly and they are not getting it at all. Don't u blame the parents for a lot of these children who act out.

Bring back corporal punishment in schools too. I grew up with that. It never happened to me, because I knew that if I got paddled at school, it was a good bet my parents would find out, and I'd probably be in trouble again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies