Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times

Advertisements

Requiring all public school teachers to be nuns would be a good step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I personally feel there is a difference between discipline for a bad behavior and a spank, or swat because of that bad choice.

Or of someone who is abusive and knows no better then to hit their child so often and really hard, constantly and puts them down.

So many children i grew up with from the era, that was discipline with a belt or by hand, have grown up to be very productive, loving caring, sensitive parents and responsible for their childrens actions.

Another word, these kids grew up to be fine adults.
Indeed. There is a fine line. I've had to spank my son. I never have nor would ever use a belt, as a firm hand works fine. When used correctly, it can be very effective. I mean, you can't just go and wack your kid for every single little thing, but there are times when you just gotta lay down the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Corporal punishment in U.S. schools still exists, though state laws vary all across the fruited plain.

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT (PADDLING) IN AMERICAN SCHOOLS
Not in Ohio. At least not in my son's school. On the other hand it did when I was growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We have better technology these days. Just put a shock collar on every kid from 1 to 17. No need to chase them down or hurt your hand, just push the magic button!
Or we could just dope them up with Ritalin or Adderal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It IS their right. A private business has wide freedom to discriminate. Apartments can rent to adults only. A private golf club can choose to be men only if they want.

As it should be.
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yep - Colorado and Ohio are easy guesses.
Nope. Not here in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I had to go to catholic shool up until the sixth grade. Oh yeah if you acted up you got it at school and then at home. Those nuns could hit too. Damn Royals need a right fielder who can hit they should go scout catholic schools.
I didn't go to Catholic school, but believe me, I grew up with corporal punishment. Never got it though, because of the consequences when I got home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Ohio does not allow it according to the source I found.

File:Corporal punishment in the United States.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are correct. Ohio does not. Otherwise, some of my son's friends probably would have gotten it. Heck, my son went through a rough spell in Kindergarten, and part of 1st grade, and probably would have been on the receiving end if it were still in effect here. He is doing much better now. Straight A's at end 4th grade.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Yeah, and the nuns at the catholic school my husband went to terrorized the kids--they were MEAN, and often CRUEL. That's one reason why my HUSBAND was so dead set against hitting our kids. He can remember being hit up the side of the head with a ruler until he bled, and remembers one of his classmates wetting his pants in elementary when one of the nuns approached him with a yardstick, because he knew what was coming. Don't romanticize the past because lots of the time it's not very pretty.
Everyone has their memories. The nuns in our school didn't terrorize the kids.
Not everyone had the bad experiences your husband did.
One bad experience doesn't mean abuse was rampant in Catholic schools all over America.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Everyone has their memories. The nuns in our school didn't terrorize the kids.
Not everyone had the bad experiences your husband did.
One bad experience doesn't mean abuse was rampant in Catholic schools all over America.
I didn't say it was. I'm just saying don't romanticize it, because it happened often enough.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was. I'm just saying don't romanticize it, because it happened often enough.
Parental discipline today doesn't work more than it works.
Yes it is a problem.

The same misbehavior seen today in restaurants is also seen in schools, libraries, museums, etc.
Even in church. Some churches now have a special family mass or children's mass because of complaints.
And the parents get offended when approached.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh it certainly was like that in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up.
When were you a kid ?
I was a kid in the 80s. Kids ran around restaurants just as much then as they do now. I know this because I did it myself. So either some enormously profound shift happened in restaurant culture during the 70s, or you're not remembering things exactly as they happened.

Beyond that, other than physically restraining their children, I have no idea how that would have not been the case even "back then." The behaviour of the average three-year-old probably hasn't changed much over the years, if at all. Even a hundred years ago, they probably didn't want to sit in their seat when told to do so.

People also eat out a lot more than they did 40-50-60+ years ago. That can affect your perception.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,148 times
Quote:
Yeah, and the nuns at the catholic school my husband went to terrorized the kids--they were MEAN, and often CRUEL. That's one reason why my HUSBAND was so dead set against hitting our kids. He can remember being hit up the side of the head with a ruler until he bled, and remembers one of his classmates wetting his pants in elementary when one of the nuns approached him with a yardstick, because he knew what was coming. Don't romanticize the past because lots of the time it's not very pretty.
Most of the research suggests that corporal punishment doesn't...uhh...lead to the outcomes one might prefer, to put it mildly. And that's not exactly a new conclusion.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It IS their right. A private business has wide freedom to discriminate. Apartments can rent to adults only. A private golf club can choose to be men only if they want.

As it should be.
No they can't, unless they're in a retirement community.

451 posts, read 769,573 times
Quote:
I was a kid in the 80s. Kids ran around restaurants just as much then as they do now. I know this because I did it myself. So either some enormously profound shift happened in restaurant culture during the 70s, or you're not remembering things exactly as they happened.
I was a kid in the 80's, too, and I NEVER, EVER would have been allowed to run around in a restaurant. Or a store, or a business fo any other kind. The backyard was where we were allowed to run around, yell, and otherwise act like wild animals. Inside, we used our inside voices, walked, sat in chairs, and cleaned up after ourselves. Perhaps my mother had a different style of parenting than yours.

Quote:

Beyond that, other than physically restraining their children, I have no idea how that would have not been the case even "back then." The behaviour of the average three-year-old probably hasn't changed much over the years, if at all. Even a hundred years ago, they probably didn't want to sit in their seat when told to do so.

People also eat out a lot more than they did 40-50-60+ years ago. That can affect your perception.
Were your parents boomers or silent generation ?
Sure there was a shift in generation to generation. 10-20 years is about right for a generation shift.

My parents were silent generation.
As a boomer I was definitely more lax with discipline than my parents although I was told I was too strict.
And now I see even more lax discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies