Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Most priests I know, barely leave their church. And if they do, it is to attend a fundraiser or go on vacation.
Then, you don't know many Priests!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:35 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
...God haters, stay off this thread.
So, asking a perfectly reasonable, honest, direct, simple, logical question makes someone a "God hater?"

What god do you suppose I am "hating" on? Odin? Vishnu? Cthulhu? Yahweh? Apollo?

What a ridiculous thing for you to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
...not a chance with the God haters, they're like ticks on a dog.
Again, so not automatically defaulting to the belief that some supernatural entity is behind some alleged event makes a person a "God hater?"

Talk about knee-jerk reactionaries. Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was taught that there are lessons our souls must learn and sometimes the only way to learn them is through pain. That explanation works for me but probably won't for you. Just thought you'd like to know why we believers don't see it as a disconnect.
What lesson did this poor young lady learn from almost being killed?

I'll tell you what I see as a disconnect--the idea so many people seem to have that some invisible supernatural deity (or one of its minions/Earth operatives) is responsible for any good, positive thing that happens, but never responsible for anything unfortunate or negative.

It's like people around where I live who, after encountering a tornado, will say something like "Well, I lost my house, my dog and my wife, but THANK GOD my child and my truck were saved!"

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to give thanks for not having half your life destroyed by a tornado in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You just perfectly, 100% explained 0bamabotfreaks. Spot on.
Now you know exactly why we laugh at them.
Okay. So now anyone questioning whether this was some miraculous, angelic, supernatural event is not only a "God hater" but some kind of liberal cretin/Obama worshiper. Gotcha.

(And you folks wonder why some of us view the "logic" used by certain posters here as seriously flawed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
it can be said it was a minor miracle that the girl survived the crash given how serious the crash was and her major injuries.
And yet, how much better it would have been in every way for the crash to have just not happened in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Maybe it will become a life changing event for all to see the true Grace of God ?
Again, which god? Do you mean Yahweh? Sems a strange way for a supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, all-loving deity to behave. "Hmm...this person doesn't seem to believe in my grace. I know--I'll nearly kill her in a head-on collision! That'll get her!"

Quote:
She had her pray answered didn't she
Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There was no mention in the article about her prayer or anything remotely like that.
Is it a miracle that you know what she was thinking?
Quote:
...yes I believe in angels.Why do you not believe evil or the devil wasn't involved?
First off, I believe the Devil is a fictional, literary character. However this doesn't really involve a belief or lack of belief in gods, angels, demons, leprechauns or other supernatural entities. It concerns the automatic defaulting to the belief that something supernatural or miraculous occurred without having all the facts or considering other possibilities.

We call it "jumping to a conclusion."

Have you ever heard the expression "Don't go looking for unicorns until you've run out of ponies?"

Here's an example: Let's say I believe in ghosts/the spirit world. Even given this belief, would it make sense if I was absolutely convinced I left my coffee cup in a certain spot but discovered it somwhere else and proclaimed "It must have been a ghost who moved my coffee cup! What is it trying to tell me?!?!?"

Quote:
...Ever read the book of Job?
Yes, I am quite familiar with The Bible, having studied it my entire life. It might surprise you to learn I very nearly entered seminary at one point.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Why couldn't an "angel" have just prevented the collision in the first place?
The "Angels" were in Anaheim in the outfield playing baseball.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Because we have free will...
Can you explain what "free will" had to do with this incident?

Are you aware that "free will" cannot exist in the face of a deity who is omniscient and omnipotent?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Here's the story of a Korean soldier who encountered St. Michael the
Archangel:
And a story is exactly what it is. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Does anyone here deny that a priest appeared to anoint the injured woman - in other words, everyone who claimed to see him is lying?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Can you explain what "free will" had to do with this incident?

Are you aware that "free will" cannot exist in the face of a deity who is omniscient and omnipotent?
"Free Will" meaning that we're normally supposed to face the consequences of our actions and to not to is the exception not the rule.

The second part is absolutely not true and shows you have little understanding of metaphysics or theology.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does anyone here deny that a priest appeared to anoint the injured woman - in other words, everyone who claimed to see him is lying?
I think its a hoaks.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think its a hoaks.

Why would all these people decided to concoct a story about a priest anointing an injured woman?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why would all these people decided to concoct a story about a priest anointing an injured woman?
The same reason idiots post fake pics of heros on facebook. Morons eat it up. Then someone breaks down the story and finds the true facts.

Don't get me wrong I do believe something is out there and greater than we ever imagined. But seems unreal in this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies