Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:03 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times

Advertisements

Mother loses both children in same month - CNN.com

If this had occurred in a white neighborhood, a mall, or a school, there would be multiple threads about "banning guns," et al. However, because 2 black kids were killed in Oakland, CA no one really cares. Same holds true for Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angeles. So long as no one is really effected and its not front page news, no one really cares.

Sad state of affairs the people of this country are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Oakland, CA.

'Nuff said.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Still dont care.

People die. Why should these two kids matter more then some other two?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Ever been to Oakland? I have. The place is a pit. One of the few places where the locals wreck their neighborhood on a regular basis.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Looks gang related to me, at least based on the way each person was murdered. Wasn't exactly the stray bullet from down the street.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
It worked in New York and it would work in other cities too, he says – we just need the will.
"Mr. Bratton predicts that “the most successful focus is going to be on the licensing and background checks. Because that’s the heart of the problem—who gets access to the guns?” he says. “Clearly a large number of people who shouldn’t have firearms actually apply through the process and obtain firearms.” He also argues that Congress ought to confirm a permanent director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for the first time since 2006.

But the gun reform that truly gets Mr. Bratton fired up is one you don’t hear much about these days. It is what he calls “certainty of punishment,” or stricter gun-crime sentences.

“People are out on the streets who should be in jail. Jail is appropriate for anyone who uses a gun in the commission of an act of violence. Some cities have a deplorable lack of attention to this issue,” he says, citing Philadelphia.

In Chicago, where the murder rate rose 16% last year, “to try to put someone in jail for gun-related activity you really have to go the extra mile,” he says. “If there’s one crime for which there has to be a certainty of punishment, it is gun violence.” He ticks off other places where help is needed: “Oakland, Chicago, D.C., Baltimore—all have gangs whose members have no capacity for caring about life and respect for life. Someone like that? Put ‘em in jail. Get ‘em off the streets. Keep people safe.

[When appointed NYC Police Commissioner] Mr. Bratton publicly promised to cut crime by 10% in his first year and 15% in his second. Privately he told Mr. Giuliani that crime would drop 40% in three years.

And down it went. In two years, murders fell 39%, robbery 31%, burglary 25% and car theft 36%. By 1998, two years after he left the job but with his programs firmly in place, murders had fallen 70%, robbery 55%, burglary 53% and car theft 61%.

Another innovation was the almost obsessive use of timely crime data to drive tactics and accountability. Police began questioning every person arrested with a gun about where, when and how it was obtained. Detectives were instructed to investigate all shootings as if they were murders.

All of this went on under a legal architecture that had existed for years, including a 1974 state gun-control law considered the strictest in the nation. The tide turned so dramatically only in 1994, says Mr. Bratton, because finally the police enforced the law “fairly, compassionately and consistently” across all neighborhoods.

… Another part of the anti-violence solution was the 1968 Supreme Court ruling Terry v. Ohio, which held that a police officer is allowed to stop, question and frisk a person on the street if the officer has “reasonable suspicion” that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime. “Stop-and-frisk” became a central feature of policing—and now, in a transformed New York two decades later, it has become a matter of controversy. Liberals want it banned.

Critics of stop-and-frisk argue that it discriminates against blacks and Hispanics, who are the subjects of a majority of stops. Proponents say this simply reflects the demographic realities of crime. Although blacks make up only 23% of New York’s population, for example, they accounted for more than 60% of all murder victims in 2011 and committed some 80% of all shootings. The issue is now in the federal courts, where for the first time a judge last week ruled a part of the program unconstitutional."

We all know stop and frisk was banned in NYC, but it worked and many lives were saved.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306
If this had occurred in a white neighborhood, a mall, or a school, there would be multiple threads about "banning guns," et al. However, because 2 black kids were killed in Oakland, CA no one really cares.
I agree......People are stupid and ignorant!!!

Very sad about the kids

Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Ever been to Oakland? I have. The place is a pit. One of the few places where the locals wreck their neighborhood on a regular basis.
Ever been to Oakland? You have? Wow, congratulations. I was born and raised there.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
I lived in Oakland and even after I moved into SF, I was still over there two or three times a week because of my friends in the area. The stereotypes about it being a big war zone are just dumb... totally untrue and baseless. It has rough areas for sure but most of it is a fairly normal, working-to-middle class city that also has a ton of great food, cool bars, and a thriving arts and music scene. Most people there are really cool and approachable.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I lived in Oakland and even after I moved into SF, I was still over there two or three times a week because of my friends in the area. The stereotypes about it being a big war zone are just dumb... totally untrue and baseless. It has rough areas for sure but most of it is a fairly normal, working-to-middle class city that also has a ton of great food, cool bars, and a thriving arts and music scene. Most people there are really cool and approachable.
I agree, I live a few miles south of Oakland. Some people cannot stand to be anywhere but Caucasian Acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies