Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Just curious are you from that copblock.com site?Police officers try to maintain order of the welfare of citizens . Some do get drawn in to the evil side but not all. Many wish it was just a traffic ticket or smoking weed problem verses the horrific sights they see every day.

I wouldn't want to be the police dealing with grown adults that act like 13 yr olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just take a look at how they dress. They are starting to look more like a military unit than a local police force.
Showing up in tanks, wearing camo and sporting weapons powerful enough to invade a country.

I guess we should thank DHS for the military and terrorist training they gave along with all that money for their new "toys".
It's the new growth industry...the police industrial complex.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There was a thread here earlier that was completely removed where a Sherrif's department raided the home of a family in retaliation for her filing complaints and charges against them.

You should've heard some of the stuff the officer was saying to the family after he illegally raided their home and arrested the mom. Some of the most insane, malicious talk I've ever heard. No way he'd ever say that to anyone if he wasn't wearing a badge.
This happened in Pittsburgh and actually got major news coverage in the region, but as far as I know not a single charge has been filed and the cops involved are still on the job. It was one of the more blatant cases of abuse I've ever seen.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a lot more of those ''innocents'' are being killed and terrorized by the punks and thugs

gangs rule many areas, the ONLY way to handle them is with precise tactics

sorry but the cop has little chance against the uzi's, and mac10 the gangs are carrying, he must take action

if you want to live in fear of the gangs, then keep on supporting them and bashing cops
Yes, I see gangs terrorizing places like Fargo, ND and Madison, WI all the time. Oh, wait...

Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Scary. And all for a few pot plants. Ridiculous.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

this makes me remember something I saw here in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago I was waiting to pull out on the road when a black unmarked SUV hit it sirens and blue light behind a car
the officer who go out was in full SAWT gear
it scared the crap out of me and I was thinking what I would do if I got pulled over like that the guy he stopped looked scared too
since when do SWAT cops pull over for a traffic stop??
we need special forces but a couple of years ago here in Atlanta the elite Red Dog drug unit
went in a house with gung drawn and when the little old lady shot at them they killed her
thank God there was a big investigation
the cops were lying all over the place and it finally got to the truth there was no warrant and no drugs in that house they killed a sweet little old lady and their unit was tarnished forever! I happen to know a cop that used to serve with the Red Dog unit and she was pissed as hell at what they did
I do not want to be afraid of our police my dad was a cop when I was a baby and he quit due to the corruption way back then
he got called in by his Sargent because he charged a big wig with drunk driving
it really pissed my dad off
he told the Sarge to give him a list of who he is supposed to arrest for law breaking and who gets away with it

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
The story in the link reports that the man's girlfriend turned him in. I don't know how it works, but I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a preliminary investigation done to check out her story. Maybe it's those recon missions that need to be reformed so that the police have more reliable information to act on.
You would think, but you would be amazed how many raids occur just on someones word. It is getting worse. Have you heard about this latest trend, I think it is called "SWAT punking"? These stupid cities will send SWAT teams to raid homes of people based purely on a anonymous phone call to 911 or a tip line. Several celebrities have had their homes raided in LA based a vague tip such as "there is an armed man outside" or "someone is being held hostage". Never any attempt to verify the call, just send the cops in guns blazing. I'm waiting for a congressman or some CEO to get killed this way, then maybe some heads will roll for the Rambo wannabees.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Count me as one of those old, former cops (also a combat vet) who thinks militarization has gone way too far. Yes, you have to be well enough equipped and armed to protect yourself, protect others and get the job done but robo-cops riding in and on heavily armored vehicles just doesn't fit my vision of "To protect and serve." The us-vs.-them attitude doesn't either.

I remember back in the early 50s and beyond when the "local" police officer or beat cop was your friend, knew most people by name and watched out for his area. He was treated with respect and appreciation. I know we'll never get back to those days with the proliferation of gangs and the big batches of drug money but there but still, some balance would be refreshing.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Count me as one of those old, former cops (also a combat vet) who thinks militarization has gone way too far. Yes, you have to be well enough equipped and armed to protect yourself, protect others and get the job done but robo-cops riding in and on heavily armored vehicles just doesn't fit my vision of "To protect and serve." The us-vs.-them attitude doesn't either.

I remember back in the early 50s and beyond when the "local" police officer or beat cop was your friend, knew most people by name and watched out for his area. He was treated with respect and appreciation. I know we'll never get back to those days with the proliferation of gangs and the big batches of drug money but there but still, some balance would be refreshing.
They were still around in NYC during the early 70's. Officer Joe knew all our names and who our parents were. He also did twirls and stuff with his night stick for us. When he rounded the corner on our block all the kids ran up to say hello to him and we walked the length of the block with him as he made his rounds.

We also had Andy the mailman who we greeted and went with him building to building and he let us "help" him with the mail.

You'll never see that happen again in the US.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
A lot of this problem is coming from the hysteria following 9/11 and implementation of the patriot act.
We need to admit that the patriot act was a mistake and repeal it, then the flood of money for purchasing military equipment for local law enforcement will end and things can return to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies