Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

Well after a while those who are contributors and those who are the leeches on will be determined. With a small amount of resources the leeches won't be needed anymore. Survival of the fittest would be on full display. Reality TV is what you would get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What is wrong with this planet, that can't be overcome? Maybe if they start a nuclear war, this would be a good idea, but extra-terrestrials may not welcome us to their galaxy. Why would they? What do we have to offer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Well, that is an unfortunate stereotype regarding "older" folks. Jacques Cousteau (RIP) might disagree with you.

There is no reason to go to Mars. Even if all the technical problems can be overcome, it is far too pricey and the payoff is pretty much zilch. I tend to think that our affection for science fiction (Star Trek) overwhelms reality. I'd much prefer defeating cancer.
there are a number of good reasons to go to mars and colonize the planet;

1: reducing the overpopulation of earth

2: creating new technologies

3: expanding the human mind

4: exploration

5: possible resources available on mars

we as human beings have a need to explore, and mars is the next step along the way. will we ever get out to the stars? i think yes we will. will it be easy? no it wont. but then there are some that choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well after a while those who are contributors and those who are the leeches on will be determined. With a small amount of resources the leeches won't be needed anymore. Survival of the fittest would be on full display. Reality TV is what you would get.
i dont think so. while there will be problems, it will be obvious to everyone that all will have to pull together to make the colony work. there can be no social engineering like we have on earth.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Start with the Moon, first, and work through all the technicalities of an interplanetary journey before we get millions of miles out in space, and realize we should have researched a procedure, or device better before we use it in real time.. Or, better yet, send robotic probes, first. Build them in human form, and set them on the surface in order for us to see the hurdles a bipedal being might encounter there. We have the technology to build robotics such as that. There is no race for time here. It isn't as if the world is ending tomorrow, and we all have to evacuate the planet. I am all for space exploration, and I see the benefits to be reaped, but do so carefully. After reading this article, the first thing I thought was that with the low application fee I don't see how the logistics of paying for fuel, equipment, training for the astronauts, launching facility, etc. can be taken care of unless a multi-billionaire wants a ride, and is willing to cover the expenses. There is a dreamer-sense of explanation about how the base is to be initially deployed, and where it is to be initiated. Too many vague descriptions of the procedures, and a seeming lack of research is apparent in this article.
As a young boy I used to dream of hurtling through space to distant worlds, but as I got older, I realized why it is called science fiction. As we are, now, technologically, it is merely science fiction, and will be until our science overcomes major obstacles concerning humans traveling in space over long distances. Space travel, to me, is the ultimate adventure, but like any form of exploration, it comes with risks, and those risks should be of paramount importance especially when it concerns a human life. Exploration, and someday colonization of distant worlds can be a realization but only if we minimize the risks associated with it, and concentrate on expanding, and perfecting our technology.
Good post. I'm for space exploration too. I might not mind visiting another planet. But it's one thing to end up homeless in Florida or on Cyprus and completely other thing to end up homeless on Mars.

I won't pretend to speak intelligently about Mars and what can and can't be accomplished in colonizing that planet. But I do know we humans have not even mastered protection from all natural disasters here on earth. So, that makes me question a bit how practical it is to live on Mars and give birth to children on that planet.

It's not like the U.S. rescued everyone in New Orleans overnight after Katrina.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

6. An asteroid hits Earth... game over. If there are people on Mars and Earth, it lessens the chance of our species being made extinct.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Good post. I'm for space exploration too. I might not mind visiting another planet. But it's one thing to end up homeless in Florida or on Cyprus and completely other thing to end up homeless on Mars.

I won't pretend to speak intelligently about Mars and what can and can't be accomplished in colonizing that planet. But I do know we humans have not even mastered protection from all natural disasters here on earth. So, that makes me question a bit how practical it is to live on Mars and give birth to children on that planet.

It's not like the U.S. rescued everyone in New Orleans overnight after Katrina.
again, those who move to mars are going to have to live underground as that gives the best protection from solar radiation, and the small meteors that penetrate mars thin atmosphere. you wouldnt have to worry about volcanos, and the core is solid, or earth(mars) quakes as the planet is not seismically active. the only thing you would have to worry about is the dust storms that engulf the planet from time to time, but again, since the people are going to have to live underground, that wont be an issue. in fact the only time anyone would be on the surface of the planet would be to service items like solar panels that generate electricity, maintain any landing pads that would be created, etc. and these people would have to be in space suits as there is virtually no atmosphere on mars.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The deficit can be wiped out overnight if we just had the political cojones to do it. Besides, the deficit is not important. SHIFT spending away from the war machine and put it into the space R&D machine. That's way more productive use of money. Get research done on advanced propulsion and ways to cut down on space transport costs as a result. Judging by your username, I wouldn't be surprised if you're at the age where people are more preoccupied with budgets and debt than any meaningful progress at something. If that is true, then you are just proving my stereotype
you're like the guy that has multiple liens, a foreclosure notice, overdrawn credit cards and says send the bill to the kids, we want to go Yellowstone because we haven't seen it yet.
Are you insane?

And for the record, they could have cured cancer decades ago, they just don't want to. It's too lucrative.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
6. An asteroid hits Earth... game over. If there are people on Mars and Earth, it lessens the chance of our species being made extinct.
good point. it also puts us closer to the meteor belt where meteors can be mined for raw materials. they can be processed on mars, and some sent back to earth.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

we as human beings have a need to explore, and mars is the next step along the way. will we ever get out to the stars? i think yes we will. will it be easy? no it wont. but then there are some that choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard.

i dont think so. while there will be problems, it will be obvious to everyone that all will have to pull together to make the colony work. there can be no social engineering like we have on earth.
There is so much on this planet yet to be discovered and explored. As far as expanding your mind goes, you can do that wherever you are. It's not a matter of where you are physically. We only use something like 5% of our minds now. We need to expand our consciousness from where we are - to a race of humans striving towards peace and harmony with all life forms, including our own. Until then, we have no business contaminating other worlds.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
There is so much on this planet yet to be discovered and explored. As far as expanding your mind goes, you can do that wherever you are. It's not a matter of where you are physically. We only use something like 5% of our minds now. We need to expand our consciousness from where we are - to a race of humans striving towards peace and harmony with all life forms, including our own. Until then, we have no business contaminating other worlds.
That 'using only 5% of our minds' is nonsense, we use all of our brain almost all the time. Also, if we wait to fully stabilise Earth and have everyone living peacefully (which will only ever happen if opposing cultures are removed), then we will never get around to exploring other worlds.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
we as humans have to explore, its in our nature. as for contaminating other worlds, seems to me that no one is using mars right now, so why not colonize it? if we were to fully do everything the environmentalists want us to do, we may as well shut down EVERYTHING and live like it was 50,000 years ago. sorry i dont want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies