Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

This is a man that's doing it right, living off the land and building structures by hand, as the pioneers did. He teaches these skills, and that's where his life became a nightmare. Inviting the public into his santuary, also invited a raid, modern building codes, planning commission, and threats of eminent domain.

Quote:
Conway and his supporters argued that Furman's office was missing the point. How, he asked, can he teach primitive living in modern, cookie-cutter structures?
"Human beings have built their own houses for thousands and thousands, and actually millions of years," Conway says. "And now we can't even build our own house with our own material that grows on our own land? That's not some regulation that's just a county problem. That's a human rights issue."
Reality and the real world, 'Mountain Man' style - Yahoo! TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM

You can meet him here.

Meet Eustace Conway Video - Mountain Men - History.com

Where is Mac Mutz, he can relate.

They wouldn't get away with this strongarming in Alaska.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
But it's all part of a complex dance. For Conway and Turtle Island, sustainability has come to depend on interns and apprentices, and on tax-exempt status from a regulatory system this self-styled "true old-time mountain man" openly despises.

It also depends, increasingly, on a steady stream of paying campers. And that is where Conway's peaceful coexistence with the "modern world" broke down.

Acting on a complaint about alleged illegal building, officials from the Watauga County Planning and Inspection Department raided Turtle Island last fall and found dozens of structures for which no permits were ever pulled. Citing numerous health and safety code violations, the county attorney gave Conway three options: Bring the buildings up to minimum state standards, have an expert certify that they already met code and obtain proper permits, or tear them down.
Had he not opened it up to paying campers he wouldn't have this issue. He would be living nice and quietly in his own little Eden. Life is all about choices.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:45 AM

I would say that they have responsibility for their own safety. It is not up to the gov't to ensure our safety by taking our liberty. Camp here, accept the risk that comes with living close to nature.
It is a privilege to find a camping spot of this quality, pristine and natural. Risk goes with the territory.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 PM

733 posts, read 939,896 times
State being paternalistic, what else is new?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Oh I am familiar with this. I wasn't so long ago, but I am up to speed now. This is about TAXes and how the govt will break any man not living in cookie cut land.

Modern man is not allowed to assume any risk, Only the govt can allow that and it allows for insurance at high rates like AIG which was 'To Big to Fail' and was bailed out whilst turning all sorts of people who had paid in.

Conway needs to shut that place down and sell his lumber and wares and forget there is modern man.

Once i wanted to be involved with an ABO school, but learned that lesson quicker than Conway.

Unless you can pad the wallets of public servants you can't do anything with modern man.

If I were Conway, in this order:

1 I would post in the news paper that Turtle Island is off limits to anyone but private guests, and all trespassers will be prosecuted.

2 I would post content of this link as well in the paper and warn any public servants this is all they will get if they come knocking. And of course be prosecuted for just showing up.

THE PUBLIC SERVANT QUESTIONNAIRE

Pretty much if he wants to play in the modern world he will have to PAY and deal in code. Dealing in code is like me nailing number boards to a 1917 wooden canoe. It ain't happening just so i can sail the craft. Instead i sail it where power boats are not allowed and so I am the fastest craft on that type of water and no fish cops can catch me

Modern man is nothing with out his silly fee's and taxes.

And last for now if i were Conway and someone came to the area and were in trouble it would just be too bad. I would not render any assistance or notify anyone. When any rescue party came i would have everyone arrested and charged. You can use the same system of injustice as they would use it on you.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is a man that's doing it right, living off the land and building structures by hand, as the pioneers did. He teaches these skills, and that's where his life became a nightmare. Inviting the public into his santuary, also invited a raid, modern building codes, planning commission, and threats of eminent domain.

Reality and the real world, 'Mountain Man' style - Yahoo! TV
There was a time in my life when I was very interested in a career in Appropriate Technology. Unfortunately, I discovered that people only seem to care about AT in 3rd world countries, when its application would be very advantageous to people living in the United States. There is virtually NO interest in teaching people in this country how to live off the land in a truly sustainable way.

The best we can do is to take advantage of legal loopholes as much as possible in our own personal lives. For instance, my county REQUIRES a septic system be installed, however they cannot force you to use it. We installed the system but prefer to use a sawdust toilet. In the future I hope to put in an outhouse. I currently reuse a lot of grey water and hope to put in a rainwater harvesting system in the near future.

Also, the less contact you have with the outside world, the better off you are. We don't have visitors to our place and plan to keep it that way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
That is a shame North Carolina is acting that way towards him.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There was a time in my life when I was very interested in a career in Appropriate Technology. Unfortunately, I discovered that people only seem to care about AT in 3rd world countries, when its application would be very advantageous to people living in the United States. There is virtually NO interest in teaching people in this country how to live off the land in a truly sustainable way.

The best we can do is to take advantage of legal loopholes as much as possible in our own personal lives. For instance, my county REQUIRES a septic system be installed, however they cannot force you to use it. We installed the system but prefer to use a sawdust toilet. In the future I hope to put in an outhouse. I currently reuse a lot of grey water and hope to put in a rainwater harvesting system in the near future.

Also, the less contact you have with the outside world, the better off you are. We don't have visitors to our place and plan to keep it that way.

20yrsinBranson
Cool! Unfortunately you just announced what you are doing to the controllers. I have a toilet all set up with buckets of dirt and shavings, in case our well goes dry or electricity goes down. Harvesting rainwater is illegal in some states, shhhhh.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM

As he says, people need to be free, or we may as well be reduced to mindless zombies, being told what to do, what to think, and how to do what the state requires of us.

Quote:
“People need to take risks. They need to make mistakes. If you idiot-proof everything, guess what you are going to raise? A society of idiots.” Eustace feels our society is becoming the most incapable group of human beings of all time. “Our system is creating incapable people. It is way beyond alarming. People aren’t allowed to think, to make mistakes…every wonderful invention we have is built on hundreds of incorrect tries…Yet, our entire regulatory system is devaluing, not allowing the entire cornerstone of the American experience of freedom to try things out.

Now not only is it philosophically and spiritually devaluing of our natural experience, but now it’s economically destroying it. So if somebody is inspired to start a small business, economically, guess what? It’s impossible because of all the regulation! So we are destroying the spirit, the vitality, the economic ability for life. Can you please publish that?? That is something people need to hear!”

Shortly after my interview, the Watauga County Health Dept. insisted that Eustace Conway could run no more camps until he altered his septic system for the kitchen grey water. Eustace, after nearly a year of no income, is rushing to comply. Funds are depleted, and his usual dazzling smile has faded. If you would like to help, a special donation site has been set up for this purpose, with many supporters already eager to help. To learn more about Turtle Island Preserve, and the many exciting camps and educational opportunities, visit their web site. Additionally, please like and share this article with everyone on the planet who cares about reducing government intrusion on freedoms we can no longer assume will always be protected.
Written by Vicky Kaseorg
Vicky is the homeschool mother of three who first became interested in politics when her right to homeschool was threatened. She is the author of 7 books and writes a daily, inspirational blog
The Message of the Mountain Man- Eustace Conway « Vicky Kaseorg « North Carolina Conservative

As I said on the rural thread, we are enslaved, we just like to think we are free. Slavery is alive and well in this country. It will only get worse, unless people join together and stop putting up with this crap. Eustace represents all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies