Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I used to drive while high, a looooooong time ago. And when I did, it was very far & few between. I haven't driven high in I don't know how long. Yet, I smoke pot often. How could this possibly be? I have never gone to work high, EVER, in my life. While the thought seems nice, I assume others would immediately know, I would screw up & there goes my job & paycheck. So no, I've never gone to work high. Yet, I smoke pot often. How could this possibly be? Any other "facts" you'd like to shed, oh wise stoner you?
That poster obviously thinks everyone is/was like him, and cannot control themselves... he probably won't believe us either, but the fact that we're both gainfully employed should be proof enough.

Sheesh, I got yelled at by a patron (earlier today) about a tripping hazard outside the library - do you really think they'd let it slide if the librarian in charge, which is me, was HIGH??? Yeah right!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I thought I was on ignore too, since they avoided a few of my direct questions - namely "should alcohol be illegal too," and "have you ever broken a law?" But either they hit view post, or just selectively ignore the questions they cannot answer. I'd bet on the latter.
I'd bet on the latter as well. It's funny, when you challenge them, and it's not even a hard challenge, they clam up & scuttle away. Sad for them, just proves how people talk out of their butt most of the time & can't answer simple questions. We have a term for that I think....

Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
When this thread concludes we should put aside our differences and everyone can light up a joint.

Working in corrections I must refrain. I'll still write down all your names though.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I'd bet on the latter as well. It's funny, when you challenge them, and it's not even a hard challenge, they clam up & scuttle away. Sad for them, just proves how people talk out of their butt most of the time & can't answer simple questions. We have a term for that I think....
LOL. Well, at least Ivory finally attempted to answer one or two of the questions - but I'm still waiting for Finn to address them! He's the worst when it comes to this subject, and always deflects or avoids any direct challenges.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
When this thread concludes we should put aside our differences and everyone can light up a joint.
I'm down with that! Gonna do that now, in fact, since all of my "duties" for the day are done.

(I think a few people in particular here could really use a toke!)

Quote:
Working in corrections I must refrain. I'll still write down all your names though.

Very funny.

Thankfully the local cops here do honor state laws first, at least when it comes to personal use. I've tested the theory myself, and they accepted my medical ID as legal permission to use/carry. I'm always VERY careful about following those rules, too, since I don't want to jeopardize that privilege for me or anyone else.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
Quote:
I mostly disagree with your first statements, especially since nobody can "fake" the old pen light test... recently at a family dinner, one of our family friends who's a cop showed us how it works. He correctly determined who'd been drinking wine that evening, and who (like myself) had abstained. As for the other field tests, I guess we have to trust the cops know what they're doing.

All of that aside, can you cite examples of medical marijuana users in California - or any other state where it's been legal for a while - causing accidents on the road?
If so, can you then compare these numbers to those for drunk driving accidents? I bet you'll find the latter is a FAR bigger problem, and yet hardly anyone wants to see alcohol prohibition reinstated. Why the double standard? That's what really bugs me in this debate! I will never argue that pot is healthy, or that some people don't abuse it... I mostly argue against these double standards, and why marijuana is singled out for criminalization. Can you explain that?
No because there is no way to currently test people in the field to see if they're high Einstein. That was the point of my post. As someone that's smoked a ton of dope I will say first hand that driving drunk is more dangerous than driving stoned providing your a pot smoker IMO. For an inexperienced smoker good marijuana these days will take away ones ability count to 10 much less drive a vehicle LOL. The amount of accidents that are caused by drugs other than alcohol in this country is unknown.

The double standard is because of this very fact. I've already stated that I feel all drugs should be decriminalized including heroin and meth, but until something can be regulated you're going to have problems legalizing it. Even in the states that it's legal now, you're still required to pass a drug test in order to get a real job. This won't change until marijuana can be regulated like alcohol.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
No because there is no way to currently test people in the field to see if they're high Einstein. That was the point of my post. As someone that's smoked a ton of dope I will say first hand that driving drunk is more dangerous than driving stoned providing your a pot smoker IMO. For an inexperienced smoker good marijuana these days will take away ones ability count to 10 much less drive a vehicle LOL. The amount of accidents that are caused by drugs other than alcohol in this country is unknown.

The double standard is because of this very fact. I've already stated that I feel all drugs should be decriminalized including heroin and meth, but until something can be regulated you're going to have problems legalizing it. Even in the states that it's legal now, you're still required to pass a drug test in order to get a real job. This won't change until marijuana can be regulated like alcohol.
For the record, I have never been required to take a pre-employment drug test - and all of my jobs in the last decade have been "real" (aka professional-level) ones. So that isn't a blanket rule, but yes, the medical marijuana act doesn't currently protect us against that. California is currently examining that matter, though, and will likely decide to classify it like any other Rx drug... in other words, if you notify them prior to taking the test, a positive reading for that substance would not count against you. That's my prediction, at least.

As for the "how do you test" question, I already explained a little about the field tests... and while I realize they're not as effective or prove-able as blood tests, there are a couple that really can't be faked. Maybe they will develop a more accurate way to measure current pot levels, but in the meantime, we have to trust the police know how to spot a stoned person. Considering there are many other legal Rx drugs we can't measure on the spot (like Oxy, Xanax, etc), it still seems unfair to single out marijuana as the only issue. Is that a good answer, Einstein?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
The BAC field tests are flawed and can beat in court. Radar guns can be beat too. I'm not as familiar with the THC field tests but many of those are flawed. The Duquenois-Levine is the most popular and it has its warts. It's tougher to beat a pot charge once you reach court mainly because the govt has such a hard-on for weed users. That varies though...of course.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I don't think alcohol should be illegal. We saw what happened when we did. People drank anyway, the same can be said about marijuana right now while it is illegal. I think it should be legalized just for the protection. While it is illegal I wont do it. As a matter of fact I don't think I would use it unless I need it for a legitimate reason.

I have only broken one law, under-aged drinking which I did no more than a handful of times. I technically drank 3 times (within your parents' house doesn't technically count.) I haven't broken any other laws in my life.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
Quote:
For the record, I have never been required to take a pre-employment drug test - and all of my jobs in the last decade have been "real" (aka professional-level) ones. So that isn't a blanket rule, but yes, the medical marijuana act doesn't currently protect us against that. California is currently examining that matter, though, and will likely decide to classify it like any other Rx drug... in other words, if you notify them prior to taking the test, a positive reading for that substance would not count against you. That's my prediction, at least.

As for the "how do you test" question, I already explained a little about the field tests... and while I realize they're not as effective or prove-able as blood tests, there are a couple that really can't be faked. Maybe they will develop a more accurate way to measure current pot levels, but in the meantime, we have to trust the police know how to spot a stoned person. Considering there are many other legal Rx drugs we can't measure on the spot (like Oxy, Xanax, etc), it still seems unfair to single out marijuana as the only issue. Is that a good answer, Einstein?
You're not reading my posts, or you can't remember what I said, as I'm not singling out marijuana. It should be treated just like every other recreational drug. medical marijuana is a joke. It's like saying medical rum and coke.

marijuana affects the memory - YouTube

Last edited by redfish1; 08-13-2013 at 11:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies