Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
So we're supposed to legalize drugs and go with driving while high too? We have enough trouble with drinking. We don't need to legalize drugs. If people drank responsibly and handed over the keys, you might have an argument for legalizing drugs but we've already seen that free access does not lead to good decision making.
It's quite clear you completely did not understand my post. Point out where I said smoking pot & driving should be legal.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It's quite clear you completely did not understand my post. Point out where I said smoking pot & driving should be legal.

Obviously, you did not read my post. I didn't say they'd be legal. I said they'd be more of a problem than they are now. We'd have the same kinds of issues with legalized drugs we have with legalized alcohol. As things are, people try to hide drug use and that curtails activities in the open while on drugs.

There is no need to legalize drugs. People don't need drugs. That people use them anyway shows disregard for the law and for their own health as drugs, including alcohol mess with brain chemistry. There is no point to drug use. It does not benefit either the individual or society. The only people fighting for legalized drugs are users.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
weed is legal! or at least round these parts it is...

besides, legal or not, wouldn't stop me. or, you know, everyone else that's toked up lol

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Laws should be enforced. Legalizing crime is a dumb idea.
Criminalizing the use, sale, and cultivation of a plant is a dumb idea and defending the practice of keeping marijuana illegal is a dumb idea.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:54 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Obviously, you did not read my post. I didn't say they'd be legal. I said they'd be more of a problem than they are now. We'd have the same kinds of issues with legalized drugs we have with legalized alcohol. As things are, people try to hide drug use and that curtails activities in the open while on drugs.

There is no need to legalize drugs. People don't need drugs. That people use them anyway shows disregard for the law and for their own health as drugs, including alcohol mess with brain chemistry. There is no point to drug use. It does not benefit either the individual or society. The only people fighting for legalized drugs are users.
Uh, why not make alcohol illegal since we have such high rates of abuse & drunk driving? As for your statement that only users are fighting to legalize pot, wrong.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
the argument is legal positivism vs legal realism...

same argument that's been going on since forever...

probably won't be settled anytime soon...there's a fundamental way people think that leads them to one side or the other and consensus is unlikely on any large scale.

in the meantime, people will continue smoking and other people will continue not liking it. then we'll die.

so, really, stop caring and do what you like, imo.

if that's smoking, then by all means, smoke up! if that's not smoking, then by all means, continue not smoking...

but, and here's the thing, i'll continue smoking (or not, depending on what I want) and you'll continue caring (or not, depending on what you want).

deal with it. or don't.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:

I don't use and never have used marijuana but that was based on evidence that has since been found inaccurate. The US government has been forestalling it because what "someone" thinks about it rather than base it on some coherent argument. For instance, gambling has been incredibly destructive on American families and so has alcohol but both are legal... in fact, if anything, gambling and alcohol have been more destructive to Americans than marijuana has ever been. I understand that you think getting "high" will lead to other activities but that is based on opinion and is likely circumstantial that one is associated with getting high and criminal activity rather than getting high leads to criminal activity... We shouldn't based laws on "what ifs" and "I don't approve of that"...

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised how many have done it at some point in their lives.

Laws should be enforced. Legalizing crime is a dumb idea.
And I have no problem locking up drunk drivers, as you have no problem locking up every American who has smoked pot

Last edited by Don Draper; 08-11-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
According to that logic, we should legalize speeding and drunk driving too, because most people have done it .
No. Your logic avoids the point. How does an adult eating a marijuana brownie hurt the rest of society?

health? No one has ever overdosed on marijuana. Not so with alcohol, nicotine, sugar, and even water.

crime? Much like prohibition of alcohol, legalize it, and the crime ceases related to the prohibited item.

There is really no good reason to keep it illegal. Now you mention speeding and drunk driving.

Speeding and dui arent federal offenses are they?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Man has had a desire to alter his reality for a very, very long time........izzzz dat so rong????????

Seriously there is much bigger fish to fry...freedom of choice has consequences, deal with it Big Brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies