Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Haha, you really should write fiction, you're so good at it!
I wish it was fiction. But they did it to themselves so I'm not going to worry about them.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I wish it was fiction. But they did it to themselves so I'm not going to worry about them.
As I said, you're great at writing fiction!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
As I said, you're great at writing fiction!
And you know that this is fiction how??? Do you know the people I went to school with?

IME, people who continue to use regularly post high school don't fare well in life. As usual, YMMV but as a class, they seem to be stuck. This actually makes sense. If instead of working to improve your life, you just light up and check out, you're not going very far. The ones who go nowhere seem to use it as an escape. To my knowledge, none of my successful friends still use though many did in Jr. high and high school. Somewhere along the way, they outgrew the need for weed. Now drinking is another story but drinking isn't against the law and won't get them fired unless they show up to work drunk. I wonder how many would still use if it were legal though. The thought of losing a career you worked so hard to attain is a strong motivator to not use illegal drugs. The people I know who still use have nothing to lose.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-15-2013 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
And you know that this is fiction how??? Do you know the people I went to school with?
Haha, you slay me!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:

IME, people who continue to use regularly post high school don't fare well in life. As usual, YMMV but as a class, they seem to be stuck. This actually makes sense. If instead of working to improve your life, you just light up and check out, you're not going very far. The ones who go nowhere seem to use it as an escape. To my knowledge, none of my successful friends still use though many did in Jr. high and high school. Somewhere along the way, they outgrew the need for weed. Now drinking is another story but drinking isn't against the law and won't get them fired unless they show up to work drunk. I wonder how many would still use if it were legal though. The thought of losing a career you worked so hard to attain is a strong motivator to not use illegal drugs. The people I know who still use have nothing to lose.
I said it before, and I'll say it again - you obviously grew up around a bunch of losers! Wish I knew where you lived, because it sounds like a place where I'd go far as a non-loser who smokes.

FACT, as opposed to your little anecdotes: Not everyone who uses does it daily, and even daily smokers can show enough restraint to become successful (or do well in life regardless). I won't use myself as an example again, even though you seem to think individual experiences DO matter... but just looking at the society around me, I can say your assessment is only true for a small percentage. I know you'll ignore this point yet again, but a few of us here have listed doctors, lawyers, bankers, teachers, etc, among our friends/acquaintances who smoke. Do you think those are loserish jobs, or what??

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Now drinking is another story but drinking isn't against the law and won't get them fired unless they show up to work drunk. I wonder how many would still use if it were legal though.
I've said a zillion times that IT DOESN'T MATTER if it's legal or not, the employers can still test and/or fire you for smoking pot if they so desire. I'm lucky enough to be in a profession where they don't generally care, but if you are a bus driver (for example) it won't matter what the law says about personal use... employers can and do still have the right to set their own rules, and that goes for alcohol & tobacco too. Did you not realize YOUR habit could restrict you from getting certain jobs? Yet you're still in deep denial about how detrimental liquor is to our society & individuals. Pretty funny, seeing as you keep accusing others of "justifying their need to get high." You do it too, honey.

Let's go over the job issue again:

It's legal for medical use & decriminalized for recreational use in California, yet.....
You can still be fired for going to work high in California
Employers can still test for marijuana in California if they so desire, and deny employment if you test positive
It's illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana in California (and before you ask again, they now have tests for determining impairment on the spot)
Alcohol & tobacco are legal in every state, but there are many employers now who test for these substances & deny employment to those who test positive.

Are we clear now, or will you just keep repeating these lies hoping people will start to believe you?

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2013 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
An alcoholic is someone who drinks every day or binges when they drink. A pothead, similarly, would be someone who uses every day or gets stoned when they use.
Then why do you keep using it in reference to ALL smokers, without even knowing how often they use? Of all the people on this thread who've admitted to smoking, can you name which of us smoke daily vs occasionally? If you cannot provide this information, I will refer to you (and everyone else who admits to drinking and/or taking Rx pills) as an alcoholic druggie from this moment on. Fair enough?

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have a much better job than working for the DOT, and have never been drug tested - nor do we have a drug policy, other than "don't come to work high" (which I never do). So no, it will not "weed" us out of the best jobs, no pun intended. Matter of fact, most high-level professional jobs around here don't test either. I know lawyers and doctors who smoke pot, and you can't exactly call those bad jobs!

See, as professionals they actually trust us to act like adults on the job, and don't care what we do outside of work. Only the crappy jobs seem to care that much about their employees' personal time, and treat their staff like children who can't separate recreational time from business. All of that being said, I agree that employers should still have the right to set their own rules regarding drug & alcohol use.
DOT professionals are actually entrusted with public safety, something a pothead will never be.

So yes, natural selection. Let the idiots smoke weed and live in their trailer houses. This is America.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Amen to that! But if they really want to sling that mud, I am more than happy to sling it right back... and considering people like Ivory drink more and use more pharmaceuticals than I do, maybe I should start calling them alcoholic druggies? Somebody actually did refer to Ivory as an addict, and you can see how upset it made them. But calling EVERYONE who even casually smokes pot a "pothead," loser, doper, druggie, etc, is apparently just fine with them. Double standard, anyone?

from now on I will call a spade a spade!! all people that drink beer, wine or any kind of hard liquor are boozer alcoholics!!! no matter if they drink once a week or every day.. and any people that take big pharma pills are druggies from now on..so I guess that's solves it, everybody on this planet is a boozer alcoholic or a druggie or a pot head..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
DOT professionals are actually entrusted with public safety, something a pothead will never be.

So yes, natural selection. Let the idiots smoke weed and live in their trailer houses. This is America.
I make more than many/most DOT employees, probably, and all for sitting at a desk doing mostly fun things - so who's the idiot now? Do you think transportation is the only good & important job out there? Tell that to all the lawyers and doctors who smoke pot, lol.

P.S. I also happen to live in a beautiful apartment, with a swimming pool, hot tub, and fitness center on the grounds. And if you know anything about Bay Area prices, you'll know that kind of dwelling doesn't come cheap!

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-15-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies