Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

30,348 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It will be much easier to obtain when it's growing in your neighbor's yard and your child's friend's parents keep a stash in the house. No ID will be required then either and the drug dealers will still be there. Legalizing marijuana will not put them out of business. In fact, business will pick up for them because they'll be able to peddle their wares in broad daylight.

Alcohol doesn't grow in people's backyards but liquor cabinets present easy access for kids. My parents did not keep alcohol in the house. Dh's did. He started drinking at 9. Weed will be even easier to get because kids can grow it themselves.
If you think a child could successfully grow & cultivate a marijuana plant, that just shows how little you know about the plant! I can't even manage that, and I'm a grown woman with years of experience on the subject... heck, they even have a whole school on growing in Berkeley.

Not to mention, I think the kid's parents would notice a pot plant - if not by sight, by smell alone. My old neighbors grew indoor plants in their upstairs bedroom, and the smell would permeate the whole courtyard at harvest time. Speaking of which, why do you refuse to acknowledge my points regarding states where it's already legal (and your fears being unfounded here/there)? Willful ignorance or selective reading, I suppose.

And if you also think legalizing will greatly affect the number of people who grow, keep a stash at home, etc, that too shows your ignorance on the matter. Besides, as we've all said many times, it is YOUR problem if you raised a child who trespasses and/or steals other people's property. Do you think guns should be illegal, since a neighbor child could break into your house and shoot themselves with it? Or do you trust the gun-owning adults to safely lock up their weapons & keep the neighbors from wandering around their home? Bad arguments, sorry.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM

30,348 posts, read 51,937,226 times
P.S. My parents never smoked weed (except my mother once in college), didn't have weed at home, and it was illegal when I was a kid/teen. Somehow I still managed to find and smoke it, possibly even more easily than now. Your ignorance & stubbornness on this is really astounding.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You do realize that you need land and time to grow... right? How many 9 year olds have the resources to grow? Where are the parents? IF there is a child (certainly not a nine year old) out there with ability and desire to grow, then the law matters not... he will be growing anyway. The only ones putting 9 year olds to work are the corner dealers.

I can't believe I actually had point out the absurdity of such reasoning.
Stick around. They will make a believer out of you yet. LOL.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
It is a GOD made natural herp. For many people it is a good natural medicine and should be as legal as sage. The entire criminal subculture based on pot would disappear if we wold just treat it like a natural herb. We don't need the federal food and drug crooks to control it either.If so places like CVS would charge 500 bucks a gram if they could get away with it.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. My parents never smoked weed (except my mother once in college), didn't have weed at home, and it was illegal when I was a kid/teen. Somehow I still managed to find and smoke it, possibly even more easily than now. Your ignorance & stubbornness on this is really astounding.

first thing I smoked was hash!!! got it from a friend..

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM

the way I see it is if marijuana is legalized in all 50 states you will see a significant drop in traffic fatalities and violent crimes because less people will do alcohol and harder drugs. I would rather have a person driving under the influence of weed than a texting driver any day of the week!! most people that smoke weed are safer drivers.

Study: Weed Smokers are Slower, Safer Drivers | PropertyCasualty360

Reasons Why Marijuana Users Are Safe Drivers

Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you think a child could successfully grow & cultivate a marijuana plant, that just shows how little you know about the plant! I can't even manage that, and I'm a grown woman with years of experience on the subject... heck, they even have a whole school on growing in Berkeley.

Not to mention, I think the kid's parents would notice a pot plant - if not by sight, by smell alone. My old neighbors grew indoor plants in their upstairs bedroom, and the smell would permeate the whole courtyard at harvest time. Speaking of which, why do you refuse to acknowledge my points regarding states where it's already legal (and your fears being unfounded here/there)? Willful ignorance or selective reading, I suppose.

And if you also think legalizing will greatly affect the number of people who grow, keep a stash at home, etc, that too shows your ignorance on the matter. Besides, as we've all said many times, it is YOUR problem if you raised a child who trespasses and/or steals other people's property. Do you think guns should be illegal, since a neighbor child could break into your house and shoot themselves with it? Or do you trust the gun-owning adults to safely lock up their weapons & keep the neighbors from wandering around their home? Bad arguments, sorry.
I don't have to know much about the plant. I'm in Michigan. They grow wild here. The DNR comes in and destroys them where they find them.

When you dangle things in front of children, they will often take the bait. That's why we don't dangle things in front of children. It is up to adults to protect children. Children do not have full reasoning capacity. They are unlikely to think that cutting leaves off of a plant is stealing.

No, that you think that making it legal won't increase the number of people who grow and keep a stash shows your ignorance on the matter.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I don't have to know much about the plant. I'm in Michigan. They grow wild here. The DNR comes in and destroys them where they find them.

When you dangle things in front of children, they will often take the bait. That's why we don't dangle things in front of children. It is up to adults to protect children. Children do not have full reasoning capacity. They are unlikely to think that cutting leaves off of a plant is stealing.

No, that you think that making it legal won't increase the number of people who grow and keep a stash shows your ignorance on the matter.
I guess them kids in Michigan won't have to raid anybody's crops since it grows wild over there

Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:

Whatever is growing wild there is trash. It may or may not be smokeable, but even if it is it will be of such low quality that people might as well smoke grapevines.

We're dangling drugs in front of children now. Not only that, parents are telling them "Don't do drugs because I said so" which makes them want to do it because their parents told them not to. There is no discussion of why they shouldn't do drugs, because most parents would prefer to believe that their children would never do anything like that in the first place.

As far as stealing goes, once again it is up to the parent to educate their children. It is not the job of the federal or state government to raise anyone's children. It is the job of the parents, and those parents need to teach their children to stay off of other people's property. I'm not sure what part of Michigan you live in, but if you are surrounded by young hooligans that are consistently stealing things from other people's yards you might want to think about relocating.

Will legalizing marijuana lead to people growing it more? Well, hopefully it will. That's going to be the only way to break the hold that the drug cartels currently have on the marijuana trade. Exactly why should it be illegal to grow a plant in the first place?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Let's see... We have the middle east exploding, we are learning the true effects of Obamacare, our politicians are corrupt on both sides of the aisle, our US attorney general is a criminal, our economy is still not strong, and you really think I'm too concerned about getting marijuana legislation passed??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies