Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times

Advertisements

I'm glad the caught the culprits and I hope he pulls through.

However... Who the hell tries to walk through a fight? That would have basically happened to any young male of any race walking through a brawl of other young males of any race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Edward is black? That can't be possible.
I believe he is also a millionaire brain surgeon with a trophy wife, oh no, that's someone else, My mistake.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
He is even dumber than the transgender guy in Jamaica who ended up dead.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I'm glad I don't think like you.

I have to ask you this. What kind of America do you want?

I want a peaceful country that is not filed to the brim with violent and insane scum. You know, lacking in guys who would gleefully eat your eye, right out of the socket, with a spoon......izzzzzz dat so rong?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I want a peaceful country that is not filed to the brim with violent and insane scum. You know, lacking in guys who would gleefully eat your eye, right out of the socket, with a spoon......izzzzzz dat so rong?
People like my father, and myself, want places that are peaceful. That is why my father no longer lives in the neighborhood he grew up in. I want a place that is peaceful, where I will be treated right, where my race won't be an issue. That is the nation that I want. I want a nation free of people who will judge me based on my race(or the worst of my race). I want a place free of criminals. We can't have that if you are advocating racist attitudes, or if there are criminals. I'm in a situation where both the street criminals and the racists are those who would do me harm.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
No. This is what happens when you walk near a brawl. You don't walk near fights. Answer this for me. I was a kid ,I got shot with a paintball gun by a White teenage male. Do I go profiling every White guy I see? No. I don't think like you.

And you say you are Black. Are you willing to go through being profiled yourself? Answer that question.

Sadly, you have no clue what profiling is. I profile everyone I come in contact with. Most consciously, some subconsciously. The vast majority of human beings profile each other whether they are aware of it or not.

If you'd like to learn more I'd suggest you read the book BLINK by Malcom Gladwell. I recommend it for everyone that wants to have a better understanding of gut instincts, first impressions and profiling.

gladwell dot com - blink

It's a book about rapid cognition, about the kind of thinking that happens in a blink of an eye. When you meet someone for the first time, or walk into a house you are thinking of buying, or read the first few sentences of a book, your mind takes about two seconds to jump to a series of conclusions. Well, "Blink" is a book about those two seconds, because I think those instant conclusions that we reach are really powerful and really important and, occasionally, really good.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Sadly, you have no clue what profiling is. I profile everyone I come in contact with. Most consciously, some subconsciously. The vast majority of human beings profile each other whether they are aware of it or not.

If you'd like to learn more I'd suggest you read the book BLINK by Malcom Gladwell. I recommend it for everyone that wants to have a better understanding of gut instincts, first impressions and profiling.

gladwell dot com - blink

It's a book about rapid cognition, about the kind of thinking that happens in a blink of an eye. When you meet someone for the first time, or walk into a house you are thinking of buying, or read the first few sentences of a book, your mind takes about two seconds to jump to a series of conclusions. Well, "Blink" is a book about those two seconds, because I think those instant conclusions that we reach are really powerful and really important and, occasionally, really good.
I have some idea of what it is. When someone looks at you, and makes an assumption about you based on your race, that is profiling. As a Black man, I get nothing from that but trouble.

And no, I don't want to learn more about it. I want to live in a society where I don't have to worry about who is going to judge me.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
I have some idea of what it is. When someone looks at you, and makes an assumption about you based on your race, that is profiling. As a Black man, I get nothing from that but trouble.

And no, I don't want to learn more about it. I want to live in a society where I don't have to worry about who is going to judge me.
You're missing a big part of what profiling is. Profiling keeps you out of harms way. Race just plays part of the equation as it should. It's all part of the human experience.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I hope he is okay and think the people involved should be in prison for a long time. I must wonder how he found himself in this situation. I live in an area where there are a lot of neighborhoods that are "turning" from drug-infested, high-crime areas to someplace trendy. Many of the people that move in are happy about doing so, but are young and naĂŻve to the realities of the situation. This guy had just moved and was happy about it and then walked right through a brawl of 30-50 people? It's not his fault, but I have to wonder if he had realistically evaluated his situation. I'm sorry if I profiled him based on what I see in my area.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
When you fail to racially profile these are the consequences. He should have crossed the street like Jessie Jackson does.

St. Paul: Bystander brutally beaten after wandering into apparent gang fight - TwinCities.com
Who walks through a group of 30 to 50 juveniles fighting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies