Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

The only half way conservative President we had was Reagan and he only won the GOP nomination after being trounced to death by Gerald Ford- a moderate- the election before.
Other conservatives have tried- like Patrick J Buchannon and Ron Paul and the Republicans opted for the more moderate voices of Bush 1 and John McCain. I suspect the same thing will happen again of a conservative tries to run in 2012 for the GOP nomination.
Conservatives make lots of noise and they give you the illusion they are a big powerful group of people but the elections always say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The only half way conservative President we had was Reagan and he only won the GOP nomination after being trounced to death by Gerald Ford- a moderate- the election before.
Other conservatives have tried- like Patrick J Buchannon and Ron Paul and the Republicans opted for the more moderate voices of Bush 1 and John McCain. I suspect the same thing will happen again of a conservative tries to run in 2012 for the GOP nomination.
Conservatives make lots of noise and they give you the illusion they are a big powerful group of people but the elections always say otherwise.
If JFK hadn't strayed too far away from the left and been allowed to live I think you would have been surprised at how conservative he would have been. Maybe he is the perfect example for why conservatives don't make it through their terms very often.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Because they have no ideas, only whining.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
I think the liberal media has a lot to do with why the GOP ends up petering out during election time unfortunately. It is a known fact that the majority of people in this country fall into the center-right political category (roughly 60%). Why then do the election results always end up being a neck-and-neck tie between the two parties, with one party usually winning by such a small margin every election? (sometimes within 100 votes!) Seems odd, given all of the political differences between both sides...

I could understand one or two elections in history having such a close tie, but the fact that most elections are SO close makes you wonder if foul play is taking place behind the scenes.... It seems too coincidental that with millions upon millions of votes, the election result always comes down to such a close count.

I feel the media is largely responsible for why the GOP tend to start out strong during the elections, and end up fading out towards the end. The news networks have a way of twisting the news, ever so slightly, to give it a bias favoring the democrats. The pattern i've noticed is this: start the story with neutral tone, point out positives favoring the GOP, point out slightly more substantial positives favoring the DEMS, and end the story with a negative point about the GOP. When you finish reading or watching this news story, you get a subtle sense of favoritism towards the democratic candidate. If you ask yourself afterwords which candidate was made to sound better in that story, the democrat would usually always win out.

If the media can propagate this effect of subtle persuasion among the 300 million people in this country, they can really coax a lot of people into believing one candidate is better simply based on manipulation of words. Its all psycology...

Nobody will ever know which candidate everyone votes for in this country during election time. We trust that the media will tell us the truth. Unfortunately the media is very left-biased, and people need to start thinking independently to get around this. Polls themselves are very manipulatory in that they take advantage of the fact that many people tend to follow the pack... 'casual' voters who don't really care either way, or are unaware of the real story behind the candidates, tend to blatantly pick the person most popular on the polls, or the one that all their friends are talking about. Obama had a huge leg up here in that he was HUGELY popular among the masses! You goto Facebook, for example, and there are about 20,000 groups created praising the guy. The youth voters fell victim to the popularity factor and ended up voting for someone they didn't really know too much about, let alone the consequences of voting for that person.

Its all manipulation performed by the media. The media drives society whether you want to believe it or not. It helps drives the economy by altering peoples moods (consumer confidence) and to promote certain agendas by, again, subtle persuasion.

The sooner people come to realize just how much we have been duped, the sooner we can get society back on track. People need to think independently. They need to think about their situation and how certain things affect their situation. Stop following popularity, that is key.

Last edited by ryanst530; 12-08-2009 at 09:58 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
If liberalism is the answer, then why do the national politicians try to make themselves appear more conservative during elections and then show their liberal side once elected?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Conservatism is popular when its based on reason. When its based on intolerance and wild eyed paranoia, and support for failure (Bush), you get whats happening now.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I think the liberal media has a lot to do with why the GOP ends up petering out during election time unfortunately.

I personally feel the media is the one to blame for why conservatives tend to start out strong during the elections, and end up fading out towards the end. The news networks have a way of twisting the news, ever so slightly, to give it a bias favoring the democrats. The pattern i've noticed is this: start the story with neutral tone, point out positives favoring the GOP, point out slightly more substantial positives favoring the DEMS, and end the story with a negative point about the GOP. When you finish reading or watching this news story, you get a subtle sense of favoritism towards the democratic candidate. If you ask yourself afterwords which candidate was made to sound better in that story, the democrat would usually always win out.

If the media can propagate this effect of subtle persuasion among the 300 million people in this country, they can really coax a lot of people into believing one candidate is better simply based on manipulation of words. Its all psycology...

Nobody will ever know which candidate everyone votes for in this country during election time. We trust that the media will tell us the truth. Unfortunately the media is very left-biased, and people should start thinking independently. Polls themselves are very manipulatory in that they take advantage of the fact that people tend to follow the pack... the large majority of voters who don't really care either way, or are unaware of the real story behind the candidates, tend to blatantly pick the person most popular on the polls, or the one that all their friends are talking about. Obama had a huge head up here in that he was HUGELY popular among the masses! You goto facebook and there are about 20,000 groups started up praising the guy. The youth voters fell victim to the popularity factor and ended up voting for someone they didn't really know too much about, let alone the consequences of voting for that person.

Its all manipulation performed by the media. The media drives society whether you want to believe it or not.
You must really think that the media has an incredible stranglehold over the American people.

Since Fox News is so popular, and there's no shortage of conservative media personalities, authors, websites, and radio show hosts - Rush Limbaugh is, by far, the most popular radio personality - I don't know how you can blame the media for the GOP's losses.

And when the GOP wins landslide victories, how does that comport with the so-called "liberal media" controlling everybody? It doesn't.

I guess when people can't accept something, they create a conspiracy theory to explain it. It's so hard for them to accept reality, they have to believe that there's something or someone who is manipulating the truth. Face it: Sometimes reality just bites.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I guess when people can't accept something, they create a conspiracy theory to explain it. It's so hard for them to accept reality, they have to believe that there's something or someone who is manipulating the truth. Face it: Sometimes reality just bites.
NAIL on the HEAD!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Conservatism is popular when its based on reason. When its based on intolerance and wild eyed paranoia, and support for failure (Bush), you get whats happening now.
I see you are blaming the evil wrongs of today on Bush. Why not go with Obama since he has been there nearly 11 months? Is there any chance that any part of our problems will ever belong to Obama?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I think the liberal media has a lot to do with why the GOP ends up petering out during election time unfortunately. It is a known fact that the majority of people in this country fall into the center-right political category (roughly 60%). Why then do the election results always end up being a neck-and-neck tie between the two parties, with one party usually winning by such a small margin every election? (sometimes within 100 votes!) Seems odd, given all of the political differences between both sides...

I could understand one or two elections in history having such a close tie, but the fact that most elections are SO close makes you wonder if foul play is taking place behind the scenes.... It seems too coincidental that with millions upon millions of votes, the election result always comes down to such count.

I personally feel the media is the one to blame for why conservatives tend to start out strong during the elections, and end up fading out towards the end. The news networks have a way of twisting the news, ever so slightly, to give it a bias favoring the democrats. The pattern i've noticed is this: start the story with neutral tone, point out positives favoring the GOP, point out slightly more substantial positives favoring the DEMS, and end the story with a negative point about the GOP. When you finish reading or watching this news story, you get a subtle sense of favoritism towards the democratic candidate. If you ask yourself afterwords which candidate was made to sound better in that story, the democrat would usually always win out.

Nobody will ever know which candidate everyone votes for in this country during election time. We trust that the media will tell us the truth. Unfortunately the media is very left-biased, and people need to start thinking independently to get around this. Polls themselves are very manipulatory in that they take advantage of the fact that people tend to follow the pack... the large majority of 'casual' voters who don't really care either way, or are unaware of the real story behind the candidates, tend to blatantly pick the person most popular on the polls, or the one that all their friends are talking about. Obama had a huge head up here in that he was HUGELY popular among the masses! You goto facebook and there are about 20,000 groups started up praising the guy. The youth voters fell victim to the popularity factor and ended up voting for someone they didn't really know too much about, let alone the consequences of voting for that person.

Its all manipulation performed by the media. The media drives society whether you want to believe it or not. It helps drives the economy by altering peoples moods (consumer confidence) and to promote certain agendas by, again, subtle persuasion.

The sooner people come to realize just how much we have been duped, the sooner we can get society back on track. People need to think independently. They need to think about their situation and how certain things affect their situation. Stop following popularity, that is key.
I disagree, I think the media is its own thing and it is more fickle and corporate controlled then it is liberal or conservative. They just do whatever garners their parent companies profits and themselves publicity.

I have to state that while the GOP styles itself as "conservative" people have different views on what conservatism means and as of late the GOP's conservatism is not all that popular. This is particularly true in its religious and Neo-conservative incarnations, which, in many ways, are anathema to libertarian conservatism...(which is subsequently why many libertarian conservatives label George W. Bush a "liberal")

Simply put conservatives are not monolithic and often two people who both call themselves "conservatives" can disagree as much with each other as they would with any "liberal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies