Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The robot is fated to take over all jobs... and liberals will grow up with no skills... while the conservatives learn to fix robots... the liberals then blame robots and conservatives and think they should be taxed extra to take care of liberals... wow... strangely this is already happening but without the robots...
Im not liberal or conservative. I have a nice rf engineering position. Helps the robots to communicate.

I think you'd find that most engineers arent conservative, many are liberals. Many are immigrants because americans don't have the drive, ability, or opportunity to work these positions. Its why I work with mostly foreign folks daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
That's the thing. If the burger flipper can elevate, why not right now? Why wait until the robots come for his job.? That is what I fear, when these workers and made obsolete by these robots, not everyone is gonna just go back to school and pick up a better trade. If so, then why not right now?

But I do like your thought that the economy would become more beneficial and progressive (in the technical/technological sense, not the social/political one)
Exactly...why doesn't every burger flipper read this article and be in the library studying new skills the next day? A person can never assume their job won't change or become obsolete.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post

I have wondered for years what would happen when robots become more sophisticated and enter the workplace. What would happen to the low-to-no-skill workers?
Technology has and will continue to impact all skill levels.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Cool, now to find a location where I can sell 360 hamburgers and hour :-)
That's 6 burgers per minute. Most McDonalds probably do that in a typical lunch hour, with all the tills manned.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Cool, now to find a location where I can sell 360 hamburgers and hour :-)

To me this is more of job transference than job elimination. A successful venture would require an R&D team, robot manufacturers, robot salespersons and robot repairpersons. All more highly skilled jobs and susequently higher paying jobds than that the of flippers.

The people getting the robot service jobs will leave vacancies at desks, in gargages, in the field, thus eventually elevating the former flippers (based on their abilities and desire) to something better than being a flipper.

Everyone wins, me included. A robot won't 'tex' (sp. intentional) their friends while assembling my burger. A robot wont sneeze on my food, forget to wash their hands, or secrete some bodily fluid of their liking onto my burger, based on their intolerance for my race, creed, color, etc.

Google Adam Smith's pin factory for some unintended benefits of progress.
I suppose if you ignore the temporal component , everything is all rosy. Or as Keynes said, "In the long run we are all dead."

It will take time for these "new jobs" to materialize, and in the meantime, the existing humans (voters, fathers, mothers, etc) in the labor market are ill-suited to manufacture robots. It's easy for economists to marginalize the time and suffering of these structural transitions in the labor market.

I wonder if economists would be similarly optimistic about technology that rendered economists obsolete.

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is a very interesting article and an interesting company.

From SingularityHUB - "No longer will they say, “He’s going to end up flipping burgers.†Because now, robots are taking even these ignobly esteemed jobs. Alpha machine from Momentum Machines cooks up a tasty burger with all the fixins. And it does it with such quality and efficiency it’ll produce “gourmet quality burgers at fast food prices.â€

Robot Serves Up 360 Hamburgers Per Hour | Singularity Hub

And the company - Momentum Machines | The Next Industrial Revolution

IMO this is a natural reaction to this - SouthCoast advocates carve their own path as fast food workers strike across U.S. | SouthCoastToday.com

As technology gets cheaper and the Obama administration helps make human capital more expensive more people are going to start losing their jobs.

Maybe someone needs to stop their momentum.

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
I'll bet the heads of those striking to demand (yes, *demand*) their $15 per hour wage are all spinning right now. A robot will not strike, will work without whining, and can actually do the job right for less cost!

I'll take a Happy Meal to go, Mr. Robot!

Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM

545 posts, read 400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Technology has and will continue to impact all skill levels.
I never said otherwise. but mid to lower skill workers are better able to adapt.

I wasn't bashing them, just fearing what would happen to them.

Not sure what your point is.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Im not liberal or conservative. I have a nice rf engineering position. Helps the robots to communicate.

I think you'd find that most engineers arent conservative, many are liberals. Many are immigrants because americans don't have the drive, ability, or opportunity to work these positions. Its why I work with mostly foreign folks daily.
Reminds me of how some complain about the decline in test scores between the U.S. and some other nations. The reality is that most U.S. students will not put forth the same time and effort as their counterparts do in some nations. Instead, we blame the schools.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM

545 posts, read 400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That's 6 burgers per minute. Most McDonalds probably do that in a typical lunch hour, with all the tills manned.
I highly doubt that, I mean the one I go to can't get anything out on time but lets say that is true.

You still have the benefit of :Quote AKA Bubbleup : A robot won't 'tex' (sp. intentional) their friends while assembling my burger. A robot wont sneeze on my food, forget to wash their hands, or secrete some bodily fluid of their liking onto my burger, based on their intolerance for my race, creed, color, etc.

And the other poster mention not striking, needing a break, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies